Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
As the title suggests how many K's do you get out of a GU before some goes seriously wrong? No particular engine model just GU's in general.
Thanks, Tristan.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

No proper answer to be had here. In general the base mechanicals last pretty well regardless of their use but they are not immune to wear and tear like many on here will suggest. Used onroad only and in gentle conditions then they will last considerably longer than normal passenger vehicles due to their heavy construction. But as soon as you start knocking them about offroad and on dirt roads you will shorten their overall lifespan.

What is for certain is that the Nissan body/interior falls apart much sooner than the mechanicals. Don't expect the body to hold together over hundreds of KM like a Landcruiser's.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
1,610 Posts
I had a run 80000km's without turning a spanner in anger. Apart from 5000km oil drops and general servicing.

Still haven't turned a spanner in anger yet. All the sheit that gone wrong with the car has been after market accessories (my stuff ups, learning as I go).

Honestly, my GU 2002 TD42T is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned to date. That is inclusive of 3 hilux's, a BJ42 and a bend over ... sorry range rover.

·
Registered
nissan
688 Posts
125,000kms from my old Di manual, only cracked an intercooler at that age, and sold it.

·
Registered
nissan
400 Posts
My 05 goes in for its 220000km service next week. Regularly serviced, doesnt see any really hard off road work. Most expensive repair has been an alternator replacement.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
most reliable car ive ever owned was a diahatsu charade believe it or not, and the most reliable by a mile!

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys, could you recommend a figure to stay away from e.g. 300,000 or more? I'm researching because I will probably be buying one in the next few years.
Thanks for all the help, Tristan.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Well, I got 190,000 out of the worst model of the 3.00. July 2000 build and it was running like brand new when I sold it. Had the top gear problem fixed at about 45,000.

Should have kept it??

·
"Toxic Personality"
nissan
8,986 Posts
ok. . . but first you must realize that the different engines have different uses and lifespans.

general rule of thumb stuff. engine, and "dont buy with 'x' amount of kays or more"

2.8diesel. . .250,000km

3.0diesel. . . 100,000km

4.5petrol. . . 300,000km

4.8petrol. . . to new to say at this stage. . . . only a few people can afford to drive them more than a few meters, and none of them have exploded yet. been out since 03.

4.2diesel. . . too early to tell, -they have only been in patrols 22years, and nobody has been able to kill one yet.

·
Registered
892 Posts
lol @ 100,000km
Im not laughing, early ZD30 ones didnt get much further

We have a couple of 400000km plus TD42t in our company, both had engines rebuilt after coolant dump and overheat ~ 350- 400km. Not sure if you call these failures a vehicle fault, more the driver not noticing problem. Electrodes now fitted to drivers seat.

The rest of the vehicles dont seem to give much problem

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
Im not laughing, early ZD30 ones didnt get much further

We have a couple of 400000km plus TD42t in our company, both had engines rebuilt after coolant dump and overheat ~ 350- 400km. Not sure if you call these failures a vehicle fault, more the driver not noticing problem. Electrodes now fitted to drivers seat.

The rest of the vehicles dont seem to give much problem
the real question is why did they dump their coolant and overheat if they were being correctly maintained.

Alot of ZD30s wouldn't go bang if they were getting maintained correctly (injectors tested/serviced regularly, EGR/intake cleaning and air flow meter cleaning).

·
Registered
309 Posts
04 Patrol - New gearbox at 23,000 km's, New speedo sensor at 70,000 km's, 3.0l diesel cracked head at 93,000 km's.

Leroy

·
Registered
nissan
645 Posts
Just bought mine so too early to tell (only done 6,000 in it). And the only problem was a grabby LSD about 237,000km, but a drain and refill of the diff oil fixed the problem.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
bought mt 4.8 @ 87k dropped the big end at 45k second hand engine and the bottom end is maken heaps of noise again serviced every 10k.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2.8td gu st
249 Posts
How long is a piece of string?

No proper answer to be had here. In general the base mechanicals last pretty well regardless of their use but they are not immune to wear and tear like many on here will suggest. Used onroad only and in gentle conditions then they will last considerably longer than normal passenger vehicles due to their heavy construction. But as soon as you start knocking them about offroad and on dirt roads you will shorten their overall lifespan.

What is for certain is that the Nissan body/interior falls apart much sooner than the mechanicals. Don't expect the body to hold together over hundreds of KM like a Landcruiser's.
that was harsh but i never knew that, patrol wouldnt up hold against a landcruiser, honestly...

·
Registered
nissan
863 Posts
ok. . . but first you must realize that the different engines have different uses and lifespans.

general rule of thumb stuff. engine, and "dont buy with 'x' amount of kays or more"

2.8diesel. . .250,000km

3.0diesel. . . 100,000km

4.5petrol. . . 300,000km

4.8petrol. . . to new to say at this stage. . . . only a few people can afford to drive them more than a few meters, and none of them have exploded yet. been out since 03.

4.2diesel. . . too early to tell, -they have only been in patrols 22years, and nobody has been able to kill one yet.
One question, why don't you have the 4.2 petrol listed here? I've got one that'd 370k & the only thing I can fault was a leaky power steering hose.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
102 Posts
Early ZD30s clearly had problems. But post 2003 3.0l syou can expect as many kays as the next engine if the have been serviced regularly. As for a figure on Kays it will entirely depend on your budget. The simple answer is go for the one for the least kms on it that is within your price range. Remeber if you buy from a car yard 160000 is the magic figure. By law car yards have to offer some sought of garentee or "warranty" to use the term loosley if the vehicle has under 160K. If your budget is stuff all then you will be looking at something with heaps of kays. If your handy with a spanner and have some spare time on your hands don't be to scared about buying something with big kays on it because all patrols are relatively easy to maintain and repair compared to some of the more sophisticated 4WDs on the market and I think that is half of their appeal.

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the help guys.
benno77 I consider myself pretty good with a spanner (for a 15 year old anyway) but I have a mate who's an apprentice mechanic who happy to do thing for mates rates:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts