Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, Hey I've come home late today after collecting car at local radiator shop...Just got new flush, thermostat and new top for radiator (damaged most likely from excessive overheating)... She was 80% blocked..yuck!!

Anyways, before I left the shop I wanted to check fluid levels...the top reserve tank was about 3/4 full... I went back into the shop and said hey, she's not completely filled/bleed...they said no, the top reservior shouldnt be completely filled to the top...levels should be around the molded lip (mid) part of the tank....
So now I am completely confused... I will call my local dealership tomorrow to check, but I was given the impression that this top tank should be filled to the top...

Can anyone who owns or aware of the 2004 GUIII (ZD30) confirm how much coolant should be in this top tank?
Thanks, Iesha

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
Hi Guys, Hey I've come home late today after collecting car at local radiator shop...Just got new flush, thermostat and new top for radiator (damaged most likely from excessive overheating)... She was 80% blocked..yuck!!

Anyways, before I left the shop I wanted to check fluid levels...the top reserve tank was about 3/4 full... I went back into the shop and said hey, she's not completely filled/bleed...they said no, the top reservior shouldnt be completely filled to the top...levels should be around the molded lip (mid) part of the tank....
So now I am completely confused... I will call my local dealership tomorrow to check, but I was given the impression that this top tank should be filled to the top...

Can anyone who owns or aware of the 2004 GUIII (ZD30) confirm how much coolant should be in this top tank?
Thanks, Iesha
Don't try to argue with them lol, they know what they're doing.

And no, it's not meant to be 100% filled. 3/4 is perfect.

·
Registered
Nissan
338 Posts
What was the radiator worth?
Not a new radiator, its that black plastic thing on top of the radiator. It's best to change them when getting radiator cleanded because it cracks inside.

I think there around $200-300, thermostat probably 50bux max?

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
The top tank (with pressure cap) should be full with no air or bubbles. The lower tank with the yellow screw cap should only be about half full.

You should only have to top up the lower tank because it's open to atmosphere and it should draw into the top tank provided the system is sealed.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys - Okay a couple of contradicting answers there which doesnt help...
Like I dont want to question the radiator blokes as they would want to know what they are on about...but as this reservior does not seem to show an obvious level mark, yet the smaller one with plastic screw cap does...kinda leaves a bit of ambiguity...

For the other enquiry - New top was $160...paid about $38 for new thermostat....Cost for radiator overhaul, block flush and labour was approx $350... I supplied the thermostat, coolant etc...

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,345 Posts
Hi guys - Okay a couple of contradicting answers there which doesnt help...
Like I dont want to question the radiator blokes as they would want to know what they are on about...but as this reservior does not seem to show an obvious level mark, yet the smaller one with plastic screw cap does...kinda leaves a bit of ambiguity...
Fair enough.... Here's a picture of mine. Been full since day 1. Perhaps you lost some coolant when it was drained, but every Patrol I've looked at has coolant in this tank to the top.

Excess pressure pushes coolant past the pressure cap and into the lower tank, which is why the lower tank shouldn't be full. When the coolant cools down, its drawn back into the top tank, keeping it full. If the system allows air to enter the sealed section, this syphoning affect doesn't happen and the lower tank overfills, leaving the top tank empty.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that was what I had initially believed myself, hence the reason why I always had this one full... Im curious to hear from the dealership tomorrow to advise otherwise...or not.... I dont have a nissan manual and Gregorys manual I have doesnt touch on this competely..

Your input is most appreciated... I'll post what nissan says up here tomorrow...
Cheers! Iesha

Fair enough.... Here's a picture of mine. Been full since day 1. Perhaps you lost some coolant when it was drained, but every Patrol I've looked at has coolant in this tank to the top.

Excess pressure pushes coolant past the pressure cap and into the lower tank, which is why the lower tank shouldn't be full. When the coolant cools down, its drawn back into the top tank, keeping it full. If the system allows air to enter the sealed section, this syphoning affect doesn't happen and the lower tank overfills, leaving the top tank empty.

·
Go Hard or Go Home
3,197 Posts
I'll second Chaz,

The presurised side (top tank with the radiator cap) should be full. The lower tank is filled half way or to the high mark. Anyone telling you otherwise is a fool.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The verdict

Thanks chaz and Paul etc...
Yes indeed the tank should be filled to the top... I topped it up this morning before heading to work cause that was my gut feeling/perception as well..

But rang the local dealership for peace of mind..and they confirm it should be filled to the top...

Thanks again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts