Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Ohlins shocks second hand and had them rebuild by the local service agent here in Dubai but after a few hundred KM's they are showing signs of wet sand at the base of the rod.
My questions is...how much leakage is acceptable on a high quality remote canister shocks like these?

I've had Old Man Emu, Dobinson etc in the past and have never seen wet patches after tens of thousands of km's.....

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
I believe you have answered your own question. If in past you have never seen oil leaking from the shafts of your shocks thats because they were quality seals. I recommend cleaning them right up and drive a short distance perhaps to where they were rebuilt, if there is oil present, then have them look at it, really you should not see any substantial leaks or a very very very small amount if anything.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke to the service agent today...he told me to bring the car in and he'll strip the shocks down to fit new seals at no extra charge apart from parts.

I'm just a bit frustrated because he'd already rebuilt them/serviced them two months ago...but he said he didn't replace the rod seals, just the valves and a few other bits.

Some of my racing buddies confirmed that the shocks should be dry and that any leakage is a non-conformity. I was looking for ammunition just in case the service dealer told me 'This is normal' etc.

thx.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts