Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
Doing my first oil change and wondered if anyone knows how much oil should go in an RD28 engine?
Manual says 10.5 litres for a td42 but nothing listed for rd28 engine.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
6.4l with filter

As always, fit new filter, pour in oil, check distick (will be over full), start engine and run for 5 mins.

Leave sit for 10 minutes, check for leaks and then redip, oil should be bang on the full mark.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
hmmm no ;)

I did mine just on saturday night and it was 6.4L right on the F mark. The last time of feeling around the front diff before it goes to twin remote mains and a bypass.

Gotta hate degreaser!

·
Registered
Nissan
823 Posts
hmmm no ;)

I did mine just on saturday night and it was 6.4L right on the F mark. The last time of feeling around the front diff before it goes to twin remote mains and a bypass.

Gotta hate degreaser!
AAHH yes...the old oil filter dumping oil onto the front diff housing trick hey.
I overcame this by employing a piece of old style house gutter cut n shaped a bit that channels the oil down to a drain dish. The bit of gutter is long enough to just poke thru above the R/H radius arm and is jammed under the oil filter housing. Bit ruff-n-ready ....but it works.

Cheers Keith

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Hey benno

Everytime i change my oil i can only get 6 ltrs bang on! anymore and its way over the full mark, does this mean my engines full of crap and i need to do a flush or something?

As for the oil filter, i just take the intercooler off and cover the front diff with rags, makes getting the filter out easier and not that much mess at all compared to my effort from underneath.

cheers

phil

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Nah, probably a bit of oil left in the donk (oil cooler ect). Its not uncommon for engines of this size to be off the stated oil capacity by as much as 0.5l.

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
Cool thanks for that,

i was kinda hoping it was just oil left in the galleries but you never know.

cheers

phil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts