Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is acceptable for a diesel?

I know the answers are going to be wide and varied, ive been told diesel smoke is normal but with each gear change and a quick glimpse in the rear view, i see smoke. much to the dislike of the driver behind me.

I am talking about black smoke.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,671 Posts
Mine blew a fair bit of smoke until I cleaned the maf. Amazing difference. Now it only blows a puff on take off. You will notice it more at night looking back through the headlights behind you. How much right foot do you give it? The 2.8's like rev but I've noticed it does matter if go 1/4 throttle or full, it goes the same. You just get more smoke with a heavier right foot

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't cleaned the maf yet, i just think the smoke is excessive. I dont dump it when taking off or changing gears. I drive it between conservative and balls out. happens at every gear change then the smoke dissappears as it winds up.

This all started after i filled up at a shell servo, could it be fuel? ive only just emptied that tank of fuel out.

How long is an injector life anyway? Pump Life? Knowing my luck itll be something expensive

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Dunno how much is bad/good, but followed a grenade down Skye Rd tonight that went from no smoke to 'where the **** did the road go' within about 200mtrs... I only just missed him as he stood on the picks and headed for the side of the road.. it smelt really bad too, stank to hell...

·
Registered
nissan
332 Posts
I was told never to go near shell fuel by a diesel mechanic.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think ill BP it up and drive it further, maybe add some additive too.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
I was told never go near BP by a diesel mechanic.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lol FFS.

Which servo then! Caltex?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i have been using mobil for ages but the last couple of tanks seemed to get worse economy than normal, i might have to change to another brand

·
Registered
nissan
54 Posts
I have been told never go near caltex by a diesel mechanic

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Until sev-elev starting f***ing my **** up. I used to go Mobil with one of there tiny 2T bottles of 2stroke in the main tank and then fill it right up. Now I dont know what to do. :(

the 2T increased the torque I reckon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts