Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have got my mechanic and he has a 1990 GQ SWB 4.2 carby.

He has offered me to buy his GQ for 20k. to me seems like a fair bit for a GQ

Having said that he has done everything you can think of to the 4wd.

some if it is.

-rebuilt the engine also the head, with performace parts and bigger everything.
- Diffs rebuilt
- New gas system
- performance carby
- new custome bull barwith 2 inch body lift
- 4 inch lift (new springs and shocks)
- 2 inch body lift- carbon spacers
- new body busheses
- all new windows and rubbers
- new paint job
- new brakes -slotted in the front
- extended rear lower control arm ( adjustable)
- caster correction bushes
- new extanded brake lines
- interior looks new too
- upgraded head lights
- new heavy duty cluch

err basically the 4wd is like new!! it has been the best GQ I have seen so far. everything is done to it, but is it worth me lashing out 20k?:idea:

cheers

·
Registered
nissan
796 Posts
Hell NO!
if your even considering spending over 10k on a GQ it better be a td42 or something special like a v8
other wise your throwing your money away IMHO

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
I think $20k is alot no matter how clean it is sounds good but it's still a gq with not a great deal of extras and really if your going to take it bush it's probably not worth having the cleanest gq on earth as they do get damaged. The motors and drive line are naturally strong in the gq so you don't need a "brand new" or bigger this or stronger that to last besides maybe the head it's nearly all pointless. You should be able to pick up something decent in good Nick with all the fruit for around half that.

Sounds like the bloke should of been restoring a monaro or gt not a patrol.

·
Green Machine
nissan
881 Posts
hahahahahahaha No freakin way! Ive seen comp spec 4.2tds with 100g spent on them for less than that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
My opinion

My GQ has more stuff and is in near perfect condition and I recon it's worth about 10-12k ( it's not for sale by the way ), so 20k is way to much.

For 20k you should be getting a pretty darn good GU 4.2 deisel IMHO.

Cheers Gordo'

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
20K seems way to steep
As said above if its something your intending to "bush bash"
Then the prittiest to start with is not advised for damage sake

But IF you want a good GQ or GU (for that matter)
Good ones are getting hard to find and commanding big $$$$
I paid over 10K for my GQ (12 months ago)
And to this day have not seen one for sale as good or better
(100% stock,except heavy duty rearend for towing,car sits level with 2.5t on rear)

If ya want to buy something for a coupla K and work on it every day,
They are near on every street for sale
Once mods begin the market gets limited when u sell
(OR you loose lotsa $$$$)

·
Registered
205 Posts
At the end of the day a 1990 GQ is a 20 year old vehicle and IMHO they aren't worth 20k no matter what has been done to it.

Then again, I sold my 1997 GQ about eight months ago for $12.5k.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
My old man has a 91 GQ td42 with a safari turbo. Done 185 thou. Immacculate! Power everything and serviced properly (he was a mechanic in a previous life). He will never sell it because he'd never get ANYWHERE near what it should be worth. You should chase one like that. i'd expect to pay less than 10 large.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Here lies the MAIN issue
Try getting some of these COMP trucks engineered for daily road use
Are they designed to perform over long distances, and return economy better than 1 gallon to the mile ???
Seriously we would all like a 10 sec street car,but the practicality is ???

Its funny GQs (good ones)seem to be commanding more now than 12-18 months ago
Anybody tried buying a 1997 GQ thats in good nick(not modded,flogged,bashed to death) for under 10K ???

·
Registered
nissan patrol
817 Posts
i agree ive been looking around for another one for the past 3 months and ive struggled to find a reasonable one for less then 10k yes there are cheaper ones out there but most are in average condition.

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Yep 20K is too much I reckon too. My Dads 1997 TD42 GQ is in bloody immaculate condition, has a denco turbo 3" exhaust with various other mods for long distance touring and towing a caravan. He's done 130000+-kms serviced it reguarly and I cant tell you how spectacularly well kept this thing is. But I think he'd be lucky to get 10-12K for it.

·
Registered
Nissan
58 Posts
Here lies the MAIN issue

Its funny GQs (good ones)seem to be commanding more now than 12-18 months ago
Anybody tried buying a 1997 GQ thats in good nick(not modded,flogged,bashed to death) for under 10K ???
I got my 2.8TD GQ for $8400 about a month ago. Its a 97 model RX with 272,000 kms on the clock, immaculate inside and out with a steel ARB bar and muddies :) there's tidy Patrols few n far between on the market these days and I spent ages looking for one until I got mine. The only things I need to fix eventually is a very small leak in the injector pump, replace the suspension with a bigger lift and the usual mods like snorkel, exhaust etc

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
GQ coil cabs (original factory ones) TD42+ turbo pull the best dollars of all the GQ's and yep would want to be something very spectacular to pull any more than 15/20K
But a dirty carby feed TB42 SHORTY with run of the mills mods your kidding , he is entitled to dream :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
308 Posts
there is a tb42 auto with 197kms for $2500 on the trading post website at the mo, I recon that is a good price.

Cheers Gordo'
Good price? for spares maybe , im not quite sure why so many people think a good clean GQ that is roadworthy can be bought for 5k or around that price. Maybe all these cheapies are swamp rats that burn/leak oil and just about everything else? If i can only get 5k for my second owner 92TI ill keep the bastard till it falls in half;) .

I would be keen for people to post pics and details about their cheap buys..interested

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,195 Posts
mate sometimes you pay a fortune for an old vintage car in good condition! lol!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts