Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought a new ST CRD Patrol and am in the process of swapping all the bits over from my other Patrol.

I have noticed that the spare wheel bracket on the back door is different to the older ones. It is made out of sheet metal instead of the plastic/fibre??? that the old one is made out of and it looks more flimsy.

My question is, is the spare wheel mount on the ST/TI different to the DX due to the lighter alloy wheel of have they just changed the design for all of them but they are still just as strong.

The reason I ask is that we are going to the High Country soon and I was going to put my steel wheels and 285/75/16s on the new car temporarily until I get around to getting new tyres for the new alloys. Is the bracket going to handle the weight?

Also, is the extra weight on the back door likely to do any damage to the door if I leave it on there for a few 1,000kms. I read in another post that the newer doors may not be as strong as the older ones and are prone to cracking. Is this a common problem or just a few isolated incidents?

Phil

·
Registered
nissan
291 Posts
and the alloy is pretty much the same weight as steel wheel, i had a 33" on my pressed steel wheel mount with no dramas , agree about the door breaking before the mount

·
Registered
851 Posts
My old Maverick (91 build) has the pressed steel mount and has been carrying a 33inch MTR for a very long time. As Jacket says, the door will start to creak and groan (and maybe crack) but that is inevitable with a door mounted spare - still much better on the door than anywhere else though and it shuts up when you clean away the dust and grease the rubber block that everything sits on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts