Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
grass in radiator

well 2day i was just having a look under the bonnet to make sure everything looked in order. then i noticed that between my aircon and radiator thers heaps of grass leaves and dirt in there.

so does anyone know how i would go about geting it all out without removing the radiator as thers not much room in there. would it be a problem if i blew it out with the air compresser form the inside out would that damage the fins at all.

as iam a bit worried that it could start a fire.

chears lg91

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y-61
914 Posts
necessary to remove the radiator and wash it well outside
and thou hast gathered all the rubbish that is the accumulated
it is very helpful and the engine will not be much to bask

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Yep as above , out she comes
While its out take to a rad shop ,pay ya $100 and get the radiator rodded out
IF ya got that much crud and stuff that you can see, i bet theres lots ya cant see

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Yep as the boy's have said,you can if time is an issue or money get the hose and flush it from the engine side just make sure it's not on too hard as if the fin's are brittle it can blow them out.i would not support this for a fix but more of a temp fix

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys fellas i was hoping i didnt have to pull the rad out as i dont have an overheating problem so i thought if it aint broke dont fix it and i dont realy have the time to take it out. i might just get the hose out and try and rinse it out from back to front.

dose anyone know if i can remove the rad shroud buy its self if i can do that there would be alot more room to work around.

thanks again

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
Most people would agree do it once, do it properly. If it ain't broke don't fix it? Well if it has the potential to be a problem (over heat) then in my eyes it is a problem. With my experience with cars the most temperamental and essential system is the cooling system. And with a 4x4 it doesn't take much to put these over the edge. It might be all well and good with city driving but when you hit the tracks and are crawling through boggy sand at 20kmph on high revs you will be wanting every little bit of airflow.

Just take the radiator out, it takes about 5 minutes on these cars. The longest part is filling it back up again and bleeding the system.

·
Registered
nissan
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
thanks looks like i might have to put it in the shop to have it done then.

ive had the car for over a year and i havent realy been through any swampy water or any remote travel it is an ex police car from the outback so i say it would have been caught in there when they still had it. my temp gauge has never moved over half and ive been on stockton beach on a 40 degree day so theres no problem with over heating.

5min to get it out theres heaps of stuff in the way and i would have to remove the too auto trans lines that go in to it

·
Registered
nissan
625 Posts
If the radiator isn't too old you can use the following method, the same way we use to service aircon fan coils.

Pull it out, hose and use compressed air to remove the bulk then spray some oven cleaner on it and wait 5mins max, then hose it off.

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
thanks looks like i might have to put it in the shop to have it done then.

ive had the car for over a year and i havent realy been through any swampy water or any remote travel it is an ex police car from the outback so i say it would have been caught in there when they still had it. my temp gauge has never moved over half and ive been on stockton beach on a 40 degree day so theres no problem with over heating.

5min to get it out theres heaps of stuff in the way and i would have to remove the too auto trans lines that go in to it
Mine only takes 5 mins. Got thermo fans so no shroud and then just disconnect the top and bottom hoses.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu 4x4
980 Posts
We used to use an oxy/ acet flame, have some one run the engine at about 1/3 rpm's and wave the flame over the front of the condensor/radiator. flame is sucked through the core and burns away debris, then hose out.
Or do it properly.

·
Registered
Nissan
258 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts