Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive aquired a 96 Hyundai Lantra 1.8L G4GM little sedan to be a "dunga", used when its going to hail, take the dog for a swim, tow my little tinny to the boat ramp, go mudding in the marsh or to go to woollies. It has a set of 4-2-1 aftermarket extractors on it and one of the Y joins has a crack in it. Now the obvious thing to do would be to remove the extractors and weld them but thats in the CBF'd category.

What bodgy repair can I do on the extractors so it can pass a roady on monday?

liquid metal epoxy it and then thermal wrap it?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
liquid metal epoxy it and then thermal wrap it?

yep sounds good to me, i was going to say just wrap it , but if it is in a y join then some sort of paste to kill the ticking noise before the header wrap, just take it easy till the roady is done so as to not blow it out

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, do you reckon I could even get away with fibreglass tape or get the proper wrap (from repco??)

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would think the fibreglass tape would burn wouldnt it?, might get a bit smokey?, i have used that exhaust type paste before with header wrap and that lasted for a few months before it blew out again, but i did use a fair bit to bulk it up so the header wrap had something to put pressure on, but it got me out of trouble for a little while

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went down the shed and got the gas torch and stuck a bit of 25mm width fibreglass tape in front of it in the central blue flame.

It would get cherry red in a little spot after a few seconds and then a hole would appear. It didnt smoke or go black..... when it cooled down it was all hard and you could crack it like fine glass.

The temps in that blue flame are easily 1000C plus so I think its a goer. I got alot of fibreglass tape in the shed so thats a bonus! :D Its only really got to last a 500m drive to the mechanics so fingers crossed she holds.

Let the bodginess begin :grinroll:

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well turned out the headers was the least of its worries.

I was offered it cheap but not cheap enough ;)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got caught for the leaking sump, timing gasket leak, rooted window winder, door retaining slider thing, control arm bushes, brakes, muffler with holes in it.

Damn Id have spent about $30 in degreaser, car wash gerny and other shoite.

Farkin thing managed to leak oil in the drive to the mechanics.

Im now thinking bout a postie bike.

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
fark mate your not irish by any chance??????????????

Just remembet silcone is your friend, use the silcoine for the window winder and all leaks, could work in the lower control arm bushes maybe ??????? and for sure would work on the muffler.......

come on wheres ya sence of adventure. HA ha ha

·
Registered
nissan
11,174 Posts
jeez how many cars do you have benno. the handbrake must absolutely adore you. my mental image is your place looks like a used car lot. haha.
well mayby you will get your money back as scrap metal.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
fark mate your not irish by any chance??????????????

Just remembet silcone is your friend, use the silcoine for the window winder and all leaks, could work in the lower control arm bushes maybe ??????? and for sure would work on the muffler.......

come on wheres ya sence of adventure. HA ha ha
I was planning on feeding it the oil the trol has previously used ;) and you can back flush an oil filter and put it back on hehehe

The control arm was also a bit bend, needed new front disks, brake lines ect.

Its gone to the scrappers. The only true parking lot for hyenas.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeez how many cars do you have benno. the handbrake must absolutely adore you. my mental image is your place looks like a used car lot. haha.
well mayby you will get your money back as scrap metal.
A few. They are actually all kinda respectable and thats why I wanted a dunga.

All my engines and stuff is in the shed, the brakes been having a sad over my boats recently and that Im wanting to start an 8m platey in the shed aint keeping the peace either.

·
Give it some goat
nissan
2,697 Posts
Benno love, what type of ute are you after? A bloke at work has a dunnydore ute i think vr or vs either one for 5g its the v8 if you are interested I can ask him if he is still keen to sell.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry mate, should have put it in my sig but Im really after a 4 cylinder, id go a 6 if its a MQ or HJ47 diesel.

Thanks for the offer though.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It never fails to amaze me why people want to dodgy things up on a SAFTEY inspection.
Cause I dont need it to be safe, but go where Im afraid to take other vechiles. It would probably never even leave the house further than 10kms.

If it burnt 10L of oil per 100 and drank the same of water I couldnt care less unless it started and moved.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
You should see the pieces of carp driving around on South Australian streets. We dont have (regular) inspections so there is some really dodgey cars getting around. Lots get found unregistered / uninsured / unlicensed. All well and good until they hit an expensive car i spose or injure someone.

Things changed a bit when the boys in blue started doing random roadworthy inspections but they seem more focussed on the ricers with P plates.

When i lived in Vic i remember having to take my car ( a datto 180B station wagon - complete with woodgrain sides, chrome roof racks, and shag pile carpet) to seymor near puckapunyal to get a roadworthy - it got denied because there was "metal showing through the rubber on the brake pedal" - little bit of black electrical tape and we were back in business :)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Neither do we have those bloody yearly inspections here in QLD. (thank christ)

Just got to do em when selling....

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Oh yes good old QLD, I remember years back having a Gemini in the family - was good car as long as you didn't want to use the boot - there was no floor!!! Bloody north QLD sea breeze...

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mate had a camry in which he had to change a cracked sump and was also meant to remove a cross member to get it out. The bolts were seized so he got a 9" grinder on it then stick welded it back in after.

The amount of cars with no floors in them for rust is pretty cool. Another mate had an old 186 engined landrover wagon that had a 'new' chassis out of 65 x 35mm gal box section :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts