Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right so I'm very close to ordering all the parts for my new lift.
Only thing, I don't have access to a flex ramp or forklift to do the "flex test" and work out what bump stop length I'll need to protect my shocks from bottoming out.
I'll be using 2" coils with a shock for a 4" lift

I've found the lengths of the new shocks, which are as follows
Front (45091LFE)
Compressed: 341mm
Extended: 557mm
Rear (45094LFE)
Compressed: 446mm
Extended: 718mm

I've seen on this thread that a user named Jamie4800 (long inactive) was able to easily calculate how much spacing the new shocks would require for another member.
I have no idea how he was able to work that out, but I'm hoping someone can tell me?

I'll be getting this bump stop kit from roadrunner, who also sell 25mm and 50mm spacers.

Is there a way to work this out before the install day?

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
Hi Jack, yes going by
Right so I'm very close to ordering all the parts for my new lift.
Only thing, I don't have access to a flex ramp or forklift to do the "flex test" and work out what bump stop length I'll need to protect my shocks from bottoming out.
I'll be using 2" coils with a shock for a 4" lift

I've found the lengths of the new shocks, which are as follows
Front (45091LFE)
Compressed: 341mm
Extended: 557mm
Rear (45094LFE)
Compressed: 446mm
Extended: 718mm

I've seen on this thread that a user named Jamie4800 (long inactive) was able to easily calculate how much spacing the new shocks would require for another member.
I have no idea how he was able to work that out, but I'm hoping someone can tell me?

I'll be getting this bump stop kit from roadrunner, who also sell 25mm and 50mm spacers.

Is there a way to work this out before the install day?
Hi Jack, yes going by the measurements from @Jamie4800, the Maximum shock length, (when it in full compressed length) on standard mounts.

Front - 320mm (360mm including bushes)
Rear - 420mm

So if your front compressed are 341, is that including the bushes? If that's without bushes then add another 40, 381mm which would mean your front needs at least 21 mm more bump stop length. Always better to have a bit more bump stop length to counter for the compression particularly if you manage to hit it pretty hard and bottom out with more force.

Rear max compressed length 420, yours 446 so again at least another 26 mm bump stop additional length.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Jack, yes going by

Hi Jack, yes going by the measurements from @Jamie4800, the Maximum shock length, (when it in full compressed length) on standard mounts.

Front - 320mm (360mm including bushes)
Rear - 420mm

So if your front compressed are 341, is that including the bushes? If that's without bushes then add another 40, 381mm which would mean your front needs at least 21 mm more bump stop length. Always better to have a bit more bump stop length to counter for the compression particularly if you manage to hit it pretty hard and bottom out with more force.

Rear max compressed length 420, yours 446 so again at least another 26 mm bump stop additional length.

Ohhhh sorry I had misunderstood that 320 and 420 are the standard lengths. Those are very handy numbers to know for anyone doing a lift with extended shocks. @geeyoutoo, perhaps worthy of the archive?

Ironman doesn't specify whether the length is with or without bushes. I assume it's the standard (base of) pin-to-pin. I'll confirm when i have them.
In any case, I'll get the 25mm spacers that roadrunner sell with their bump stop kit.
Considering their bump stops compress down from 150mm to 95mm (going by Jamie's post), I'll have about 120mm of actual hard bump stop with the 25mm spacers.

I couldn't quite accurately measure the length of the standard bump stops with my wheels on and front springs in. Does anyone know for certain?

Thanks very much Geordie

·
Registered
824 Posts
I watched a video lately of a guy with a well modified gq that was used for some serious tracks without going full comp mods and he said swapping out the 80 series bump in the front for the standard style stops transformed the vehicle.

His reasoning behind this is that they dont compress very much so you can get more uptravel before contact with the bump. That inturn allows the shock to do its job before it starts to compress into the 80 series bump and then you have an uncontrolled spring rate.
Just food for thought

·
Registered
9,424 Posts
I watched a video lately of a guy with a well modified gq that was used for some serious tracks without going full comp mods and he said swapping out the 80 series bump in the front for the standard style stops transformed the vehicle.

His reasoning behind this is that they dont compress very much so you can get more uptravel before contact with the bump. That inturn allows the shock to do its job before it starts to compress into the 80 series bump and then you have an uncontrolled spring rate.
Just food for thought
So not quite sure if I understand the conclusion there. Was he saying that the 80 series bumps are good or not. I definitely found that the 80 series bumps are softer hit than the factory bump stops but are a bit longer so contact a bit sooner than the factory bump stops.

·
Registered
824 Posts
So not quite sure if I understand the conclusion there. Was he saying that the 80 series bumps are good or not. I definitely found that the 80 series bumps are softer hit than the factory bump stops but are a bit longer so contact a bit sooner than the factory bump stops.
This is the video. The 13 min mark is where he talks about the bump stops.

·
Registered
824 Posts
This is the sort of driving this car does so his setup may not be valid for other peoples application but was an interesting take on the subject.
I know superior dont recommend 80 series bumps for the front. Maybe they have come to the same conclusion.

When a stock late model GU has only 40mm of up travel in the front. If you have more than 40mm of bump stop compression that mean half or more of your uptravel is through a varying rate bumpstop.
Thats fine when you have an offroad racer with air bumps and bypass shocks to be able to tune your shock compression through that area of travel. I would it would also affect rebound too as the extra push from the bump could affect the ride too.

I have no real world experience. Just read and watched as much as i can find. This seems to make sense to me and for someone that obviously drives pretty hard off road to say it transformed the vehicle i think its a point worth investigating.

·
Registered
nissan
6,587 Posts
The only thing the stock bump stops do better than the 80 series ones is allow better articulation which no doubt improves low speed rock crawling for hill climb heroes etc but for typical touring with a 2 or 3 inch lift the 80 series are big winners because even though they touch earlier they act as both a rising rate shock and a rising rate spring that starts of very soft and gradually builds firmness. The stock Patrol front stops are not too bad but the rear ones are terrible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts