Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Ive got a ZD30 engine and believe its experiencing the dreaded grenade symptoms.

Ive bought myself a diesel compression tester, and plan to perform a compression test next week to confirm/deny the diagnosis.

Now my question is, to perform a compression test on a diesel do you need to stop the fuel pump working when doing a compression test? If so, what connector/wire/hose etc should I unplug?
Or is it ok to just remove all the glowplugs to stop the engine getting enough compression to start?

Any other advice some someone who has done it before would be appreciated.

thanks, Steve

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Before jump the gun are you DI or CRD. You need two people, new oil and filter and the OEM factory acceptance compression test results for that engine model.

If you search on here you can find the w/shop manual. Down load it and it will walk you over how to do it. If going injectors just make sure Nissan have the new o-rings or them seals on the cylinder head. Its a pain in the ass job and I wish good luck.

On the CRD don't remove the injectors. You end up with cylinder full of oil and water and you have to pump it out and then replace the injector o-rings. You just do a cylinder bank test on OBDII computer.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
You use a glow plug adapter

·
Registered
nissan
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guys, should have been specific - I have a DI ZD30 2001 model patrol.

yeah I will be using the glow plug hole - and will make an adapter out of a stuffed glowplug.

does the fuel need to be stopped somehow before I crank over the engine to get the compression reading?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts