Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv got a 94 gq wagon with a td42 with gt2871r and top mount intercooler runing 10psi looking at wti intercooler custom plumen and 12mm pump shorty and put boost up to 20psi how power can i make with this setup aiming at 130-150rwkw.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Some punctuation would make this a little more understandable.

Have you tried looking around the forum first? There are MANY threads about turbo diesels and making decent power.

What you are talking about doing depends completely upon your setup and tune. We have no idea what cooler you have, what your custom plenum is, how your car is tuned, what your EGT's are like, what you do with your car etc etc etc etc etc etc. I made 140kw with a gt2860 on my td42. Your question is one of endless answers. Go have a bit of a read of the forum.

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
acronym for purple lubed men, commonly found in bondage outfits on floats at the mardi grais.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
94patrol, If you are in south west Australia simple answer is go see united fuel injection.

A few things you'll need to make 150kW for more than a couple of weeks:

high flow piping between the intercooler and whats left of your inlet manifold, bigger than you'd think.
a BIG intercooler, I run a 600x300x76mm bar and plate. I may need to go to a custom ARE 700 by 350mm cooler. You just won't get the ambient airflow through a top mount to make that power reliably, the front of a patrol isn't aerodynamic enough. Laminova water to air recommended.
Upgraded radiator.
steam vents in the head. (see Toughdiesels)
3 inch mandrel exhaust, at least. I've got to redo mine and may go to 3.5 inch. I picked up 4psi from reduced back pressure when the flange next to the gearbox split.
A decent clutch, See Brake Fabricators WA, they fixed me up with a special sprung centre ceramic with about 2.5 tons of clamping force. None of the usual clutches people fit will hold peak torque in 4th gear 4wd.
If you want to fit a donaldson to it please come and see me, I'll beat you over the head with a donaldson filter housing until you either change your mind or the filter is caved in enough to actually fit inside the bodywork of a patrol. :)
You will need a massive air filter and housing, there wont be room for any kind of dust spinner. Snorkel, if fitted, will have to be 4 inches minimum.
I don't expect mine to last out 100,000km, I occasionally see EGTs of 650 degrees post turbo but you'll never drive it that hard on the street.

to get 150 at the wheels you need to nearly double the torque of the original motor. It's not easy. They need a staggering amount of air if you're used to performance petrols.

FYI the inlet is a home made one, it's a bit rough looking but it works.
I haven't added up the total cost, I don't want to know. I've done an awful lot of work myself and it would be getting close to 10 grand once you add in the fiddly bits.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
what are you using for an airbox mike?
an old shop sign, pop rivets, pinchweld, self tappers, foam tape, sikaflex and LOTS of cardboard templates.
I've recently added some heat reflective tape to the outside, the stuff you use for foil house insulation.
It's not water tight but I don't need it to be.

·
Registered
nissan
11,162 Posts
if your on the gold coast and want good power from your td42 go see sean at seq 4x4. has built at least 1 td42 making over 200kw and 1000nm torque. he will be able to set you in the right direction.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Wouldn't a petrol V8 be cheaper and simpler?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Turbo is a modified TD05 from United Fuel Injection. Fuel pump is a special build from them too. If you want more than that I'm sure you can find them in the phone book :)
It's got the "throttle" response of a healthy petrol engine and there is no noticeable turbo lag at all. It's very enjoyable to drive because the power is there quickly and its not too peaky. We could probably get significantly higher peak numbers by sacrificing some drivability but I like the look of trophies more than dyno printouts.
The noises that come out of it are interesting, the sheet metal inlet manifold amplifies the diesel knock so it's quite uncomfortable to be near with the bonnet open.
There's a number of little external mods and add ons I wont go into, the information is out there if you do your research and talk to the right people.

I think this is about as far as you should go with a stock motor. You end up going to cubic dollars beyond this point because it gets very difficult keeping the heat and combustion pressures contained.
As SIM79 said, a petrol v8 is cheaper. There are a couple of reasons I've gone this far with this motor, reliability, the technical challenge and upsetting people.

Start with a TD42-T if you can, this is just a little old TD42 with about 250,000kms on it. You can also get some more out of them with water/methanol injection and /or LPG fumigation, both of which I'd like but cannot run.

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
they r good for more power than that, my mates gu is close 2 300rwhp thats all diesel no gas. just using a $300 t3/t4 turbo off ebay, external gated, front mount and ....loads of fuel,
stock snorkel, pod filter ect...... valve springs made it a totally different car, revs like a petrol

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
what gear? and has the dyno operator put the IAT probe somewhere nice and warm?

Dont get me wrong it probably does go like stink but the numbers don't add up.
No way you can suck that much air through a standard snorkel. Is it actually connected and sealed up?

If you are getting those numbers without a built engine I hope it hangs together.

Cheap, Reliable, Powerful. (Pick 2 out of 3.)

·
Registered
nissan
8,930 Posts
Its a pipe Mike, I dont see why it cant physically move that amount of air?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts