Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to install new turbo? Mine's a factory non intercooled turbo.
Is it merely undoing bolts from dump pipe etc and also reinstalling oil lines? And does the HT18 have water cooling? I heard the early ones do but if im putting an 18g on, that its not water cooled so what happens to the lines that would have previously gone to the turbo?

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
The old water ports to the ht18 just get blocked of a their sources, ufi supply a couple of plugs with their kits. And the rest is just undoing bolts till it's removed and bolting the new one back up.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
UfI's kit will have everything you need, assuming your getting a kit.
The water lines are removed and blanking plugs come with the kit(well mine come a week later...)
As far as fitting is concerned it's all pretty strait forward.
If you haven't got front mount cooler pipes to re route then that makes it even easier.
There a few sneaky bolts on the old turbo/lines etc but other that all strait forward.
Chooking round with my cooler pipes/fatz air box to turbo piping and trying to find some bolts to use as blanking for the old water ports took about 6hours.
Obviously doing it again I could probably halve that time.

Reactions: patrolla

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UfI's kit will have everything you need, assuming your getting a kit.
The water lines are removed and blanking plugs come with the kit(well mine come a week later...)
As far as fitting is concerned it's all pretty strait forward.
If you haven't got front mount cooler pipes to re route then that makes it even easier.
There a few sneaky bolts on the old turbo/lines etc but other that all strait forward.
Chooking round with my cooler pipes/fatz air box to turbo piping and trying to find some bolts to use as blanking for the old water ports took about 6hours.
Obviously doing it again I could probably halve that time.
Yep getting the kit so as I suspected, relatvely easy even for a chump like me. If i can do a whole swivel hub rebuild only following a Gregory's manual, I thought I'd be able to do a turbo.

Does blanking off the water ports require bleeding of the cooling system after its all installed?

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,737 Posts
Yep getting the kit so as I suspected, relatvely easy even for a chump like me. If i can do a whole swivel hub rebuild only following a Gregory's manual, I thought I'd be able to do a turbo.

Does blanking off the water ports require bleeding of the cooling system after its all installed?
Might pay to factor in a coolant change, as you'll lose all the coolant in the block when you remove the return line.

Some have reported having fun fitting their exhaust to the UFI dump. Seems to depend on exhaust brand.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might pay to factor in a coolant change, as you'll lose all the coolant in the block when you remove the return line.

Some have reported having fun fitting their exhaust to the UFI dump. Seems to depend on exhaust brand.
Mine's a Redback exhaust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts