Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Patrol community.

I'm writing from Spain (place where many worldwide patrols was made o_O). I own an '86 unit in mind condition, large, seven seats, luxury brown interior.

Anyone can attach a pic of the screw to lubricate the governor diaphragm? In the manual specificates can read "OL36V1" or "cod liver oil", only four drops :oops: every 6.000 miles.

For the other hand, I'd like to question if you consider safe to clean the banjo filter. I mean, maybe I would have problems with air bleeding in the fuel system if I unscrew it?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards and greetings

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
I will call on one of our experts on these @james008 to comment, but cleaning that banjo filter is not and issue because you can manually bleed the pump after.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,171 Posts
I've honestly never drained the governer chamber or lubricated the diaphragm before, mainly because while I've owned three, they've run for a combined total of roughly an hour.
The ute I've just bought is an N/A though, and it appears the fill port for the diaphragm is right behind the vacuum line that runs to the top of the injector pump
Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design Hood

This appears to be the drain plug. Kinda hard to see, but the manual gives you a pretty good idea of where it is.
Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Metal Wood

I've done a bit if reading and it would seem that the diaphragm is made of leather, so a petroleum based lubricant is likely going to be damaging.
I suppose that's why the pump has a fuel drain plug.
OL36V1 was an oil made by Bosch, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.
A couple of old posts on Nissan and Toyota diesel forums warned against the use of cod liver oil, apparently ot turns waxy at a fairly low temperature.
Neatsfoot oil is the most recommended product I found. I learned several things about it too.
A. It exists, never heard of it before.
B. It is made out of cow leg and feet bones. Charming.
C. It can be used on leather.

If your Patrol is an SD33T, you can ignore all the above, the governer is significantly different, and I am not aware of any maintenance that needs to be performed. Draining the oil out of the boost compensator housing occasionally isn't a bad idea though.

As @geeyoutoo said, cleaning the banjo filter is not an issue, I usually check it whenever I replace the main fuel filter.

Reactions: Opty

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,657 Posts
Neatsfoot oil is the most recommended product I found. I learned several things about it too.
Neatsfoot oil used to be used extensively to keep leather saddles and other tac soft and pliable. It's quite a light oil. Dad used to use it a lot when he was a kid and rode a horse to school. I'm sure others here will be familiar with it also.
Looks like it's a bit harder to come by these days but a quick search says it's still available through Ebay and catch, as well as some veterinary stores

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,556 Posts
Haven't heard the words 'neatsfoot oil' since the late 50's, we used it in metalwork as a cutting oil.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,567 Posts
Good for polishing and preserving timber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've honestly never drained the governer chamber or lubricated the diaphragm before, mainly because while I've owned three, they've run for a combined total of roughly an hour.
The ute I've just bought is an N/A though, and it appears the fill port for the diaphragm is right behind the vacuum line that runs to the top of the injector pump
View attachment 535550

This appears to be the drain plug. Kinda hard to see, but the manual gives you a pretty good idea of where it is.
View attachment 535551

I've done a bit if reading and it would seem that the diaphragm is made of leather, so a petroleum based lubricant is likely going to be damaging.
I suppose that's why the pump has a fuel drain plug.
OL36V1 was an oil made by Bosch, but it doesn't seem to be available any more.
A couple of old posts on Nissan and Toyota diesel forums warned against the use of cod liver oil, apparently ot turns waxy at a fairly low temperature.

If your Patrol is an SD33T, you can ignore all the above, the governer is significantly different, and I am not aware of any maintenance that needs to be performed. Draining the oil out of the boost compensator housing occasionally isn't a bad idea though.

As @geeyoutoo said, cleaning the banjo filter is not an issue, I usually check it whenever I replace the main fuel filter.

Thank you very much, really useful investigation work. My Patrol is NA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts