Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Nissan Patrol GU3 ZD30DI wagon
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a HPD IC secondhand (pic 1) and want to fit it now to my ZD30 DDi. My current IC (pics 2 & 3) is a standard bar & plate replacement for the Nissan original that was leaking oil. A catch-can and EGR blocking plate were installed when the original IC was replaced.

I have several questions:

1) given the different shape of the HPD IC, where should I mount the boost gauge barb? On the forward facing edge of the (fitted) HPD IC, or somewhere else?

2) where, and how, should I mount the Tillix barb, given it needed an adapter to be bronzed to the steel pipework coming off the outlet side of the standard bar & plate IC, that the barb then screwed into? Will I have to get a similar alloy adapter welded to the outlet side alloy pipe, for the Tillix barb to screw into, or is there another way i.e. through the silicone joiner pipe?

3) What is the purpose of the blue screw fitting seen in pic 4 mounted next to the wiring connection point?

and, lastly,

4) the HPD IC didn't come with a fan fitted but I see the mounting screws are fitted to the underside (pic 5) - what sized fan (and brand, if important) should I be buying?

If anyone has this same set-up and can supply some close-up pix, that would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,326 Posts
@StephenhasaPatrol The MAP sensor mount plate that is welded to the HPD cooler, assume there is a vent hole integrated in it to take boost pressure from the cooler end tank to MAP sensor boost stem pick up?

If so, would just get a "Boost T" with barb fitting and install it under MAP sensor and connect Tillix with hose to it:
Boost Adaptor Nissan Patrol ZD30

Not sure of the purpose with the fitting and "Blue cap", sure it is not just a means of blanking off the threaded fitting. IMO would remove the fitting (if not useful for your boost gauge install) and get a replacement fitting to hook up your boost gauge.

The fan, looks like one was fitted can see mount rub marks, suggest you ring HPD supplier and see if they can recommend what suits cooler and mounting.

r

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@StephenhasaPatrol The MAP sensor mount plate that is welded to the HPD cooler, assume there is a vent hole integrated in it to take boost pressure from the cooler end tank to MAP sensor boost stem pick up?

If so, would just get a "Boost T" with barb fitting and install it under MAP sensor and connect Tillix with hose to it:
Boost Adaptor Nissan Patrol ZD30

Not sure of the purpose with the fitting and "Blue cap", sure it is not just a means of blanking off the threaded fitting. IMO would remove the fitting (if not useful for your boost gauge install) and get a replacement fitting to hook up your boost gauge.

The fan, looks like one was fitted can see mount rub marks, suggest you ring HPD supplier and see if they can recommend what suits cooler and mounting.

r
Thanks @Bidja for your reply - much appreciated.

Reactions: Bidja

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
Hi @StephenhasaPatrol , here is a picture of my HPD intercooler. The map sensor goes in the front block(plate)as per my picture ( red circle) . In front of that block (plate ) should be two outlets for barbs to run boost for gauges and other things requiring boost. On mine I have boost line teed of into boost gauge in front of block (plate) and second outlet(sideways outlet)used for cmgs controller for my water/meth injection . Hope this helps you out

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi @StephenhasaPatrol , here is a picture of my HPD intercooler. The map sensor goes in the front block(plate)as per my picture ( red circle) . In front of that block (plate ) should be two outlets for barbs to run boost for gauges and other things requiring boost. On mine I have boost line teed of into boost gauge in front of block (plate) and second outlet(sideways outlet)used for cmgs controller for my water/meth injection . Hope this helps you out
Thanks @Zd30 Steven - what I can't see from your second photo of your engine bay is where you have your Tillix/Dawes tapped into the IC (or don't you have the Tillix/Dawes & needle valve set-up on your Patrol)?

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
Thanks @Zd30 Steven - what I can't see from your second photo of your engine bay is where you have your Tillix/Dawes tapped into the IC (or don't you have the Tillix/Dawes & needle valve set-up on your Patrol)?
Hi @StephenhasaPatrol , yes I have a Dawes valve that’s connected to the vacsol (yellow circle) as I don’t use the needle valve anymore as I have ECPT remap.
227E0C87-D689-452F-B4C1-00A24B888AB8.jpeg

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi @StephenhasaPatrol , yes I have a Dawes valve that’s connected to the vacsol (yellow circle) as I don’t use the needle valve anymore as I have ECPT remap. View attachment 527174
That's interesting, as I (theoretically) have the same re-map as you (but done by Powercurve Performance, Qld, who, I believe, bought the rights to the DDi remap software from Harley at the time he sold ECPT), and I have a needle valve with the Tillix valve! I wonder why they didn't plumb to the VacSol (retorical question)? It would help if I could, as the secondhand IC I've bought, only has provision for one barb (where that blue cap is situated), not two, as yours has. I'm going to talk to Enzed, or such, to see if I can buy a dual barb that will fit.

Reactions: Zd30 Steven

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
That's interesting, as I (theoretically) have the same re-map as you (but done by Powercurve Performance, Qld, who, I believe, bought the rights to the DDi remap software from Harley at the time he sold ECPT), and I have a needle valve with the Tillix valve! I wonder why they didn't plumb to the VacSol (retorical question)? It would help if I could, as the secondhand IC I've bought, only has provision for one barb (where that blue cap is situated), not two, as yours has. I'm going to talk to Enzed, or such, to see if I can buy a dual barb that will fit.
I prefer vacsol as it drives much better than needle valve set up as my boost is very good with ecu controlling it . If you’re after power then the needle valve is slightly better, but not worth losing drivability for it . I had the remap from ECPT back in 2018 and it’s proven to be amazing with my mods . You should be able to get a second outlet in that block (plate).

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I prefer vacsol as it drives much better than needle valve set up as my boost is very good with ecu controlling it . If you’re after power then the needle valve is slightly better, but not worth losing drivability for it . I had the remap from ECPT back in 2018 and it’s proven to be amazing with my mods . You should be able to get a second outlet in that block (plate).
Thanks again @Zd30 Steven FYI - I went looking for that VacSol you have circled but my model doesn't have it there. Our Patrols are both GU3's but mine is a Feb 2002 build, whereas yours is a sometime-in-2003 build, so it looks like Nissan changed something during that time. What I found instead, was this, which I think is the earlier version of the same, and at the time of my Tillix/needle conversion all three vac hoses were cut/disconnected from whatever they connected to (you can see one waving around in the breeze in the upper right side of the picture) and my Tillix valve is attached to the hose in front of it - I suspect my earlier version isn't as 'efficient' as your's, so isn't used.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,396 Posts
Thanks again @Zd30 Steven FYI - I went looking for that VacSol you have circled but my model doesn't have it there. Our Patrols are both GU3's but mine is a Feb 2002 build, whereas yours is a sometime-in-2003 build, so it looks like Nissan changed something during that time. What I found instead, was this, which I think is the earlier version of the same, and at the time of my Tillix/needle conversion all three vac hoses were cut/disconnected from whatever they connected to (you can see one waving around in the breeze in the upper right side of the picture) and my Tillix valve is attached to the hose in front of it - I suspect my earlier version isn't as 'efficient' as your's, so isn't used. View attachment 527222
All 3ltr patrols have the vacsol mounted where yours is from factory. @Zd30 Steven has modified his intake and removed the plastic box (which helps reduce intake noise) that normally houses it in the process

·
Registered
Was known as JT54_Y61 GU IV 08CRD Wag ST
1,326 Posts
Stephen, The pipe waving around is most likely connected to the top pipe/tube stem of your Vacsol(closest to the electric plug / connector end). Put a bolt or plug in the end of hose to keep dirt and crap out of it and make sure the bottom two are blocked also, normally we just use a small length of hose and join/link the bottom two to each other. The vacsol will stay clean in case you want to use it down the track.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All 3ltr patrols have the vacsol mounted where yours is from factory. @Zd30 Steven has modified his intake and removed the plastic box (which helps reduce intake noise) that normally houses it in the process
So much for my 'Nissan must have ....' theory - thanks @trev zd30 for clearing that up.

Also, would you clarify this - I have been wondering what that plastic box's job was but I'm not sure how to read your "(which helps reduce intake noise)" statement. Is the reason Nissan fitted it, to reduce intake noise? or does removing it reduce intake noise?

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Stephen, The pipe waving around is most likely connected to the top pipe/tube stem of your Vacsol(closest to the electric plug / connector end). Put a bolt or plug in the end of hose to keep dirt and crap out of it and make sure the bottom two are blocked also, normally we just use a small length of hose and join/link the bottom two to each other. The vacsol will stay clean in case you want to use it down the track.
Thanks @Bija - I'll do as you suggest. Stephen

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,396 Posts
So much for my 'Nissan must have ....' theory - thanks @trev zd30 for clearing that up.

Also, would you clarify this - I have been wondering what that plastic box's job was but I'm not sure how to read your "(which helps reduce intake noise)" statement. Is the reason Nissan fitted it, to reduce intake noise? or does removing it reduce intake noise?

Thanks,

Stephen
I believe it's only role is to act as a resonator to reduce intake noise

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Premium Member
Nissan patrol GU
284 Posts
I’ve relocated my vacsol from its original position as I don’t have the resonator anymore. @StephenhasaPatrol (see Picture)I’m using the top diagram set up which runs without a needle valve. The bottom diagram is for needle valve and Dawes/ tillex set up . Vacsol not required. Hope this helps mate.

Attachments

Reactions: StephenhasaPatrol

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I’ve relocated my vacsol from its original position as I don’t have the resonator anymore. @StephenhasaPatrol (see Picture)I’m using the top diagram set up which runs without a needle valve. The bottom diagram is for needle valve and Dawes/ tillex set up . Vacsol not required. Hope this helps mate.
Yes, @Zd30 Steven - it does, and makes for an interesting read. I had no idea your set-up existed, or was viable, so thanks for sending me the photo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Went off to Pirtek with the IC, and $13 later I had a 6" piece of high pressure hose, a straight barb and a T-piece barb. Screwed it all together, fitted the IC and now the Boost guage and Tillix are all happily working as they should! Thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts