Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says how do you remove the front pulley on an auto zd30? Need to do the front seal but don't know how to lock up the motor to undo and do up the nut on the front pulley. I don't want to use a breaker bar on the chassis real and turn the car over if I can help it.

Would using a rattle gun still require me to lock up the motor?

·
Registered
nissan gu3 2001
349 Posts
I didnt want to use breaker bar and flick the starter but in the carport with no access to rattle gun or the will to pull out radiator for access. I tried for hours in vane, as last resort i used the breaker bar and it came undone first pop. Should have done it the first time round

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
And there you have it.
Unless the starter is removed and the flex plate locked your only option is a rattle gun.
Hardly an accurate method unless you have a recently calibrated/tested rattle gun.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Ring gear lock. Bolts in place of the starter and engages in the ring gear to lock the crank.
I'd guess others might suggest a similar method via a screwdriver jambed in there somewhere, but there is correct geat designed just for this job.
Crank bolt on the GTR is 340ft lbs so you must have the right gear for that job.
Have a good look at your balancer. If the centre hub comes right to the front, (no rubber mounted pulleys ahead of it) you could use the Toyota 1 and 2JZ idea where they bolt a plate hard up to the front face of the balancer.
The plate has a large hole in the centre to tension the crank bolt. The plate also has an arm welded to it so a convenient length of pipe can be slipped over to hold the whole show while you tension that crank bolt.
Attached is one made for an auto 2JZ. Note how the centre hub comes flush to the front so you can bolt this plate firmly to the balancer without damage to the rubber mounted pulleys.
Typical Toyota thinking, nice large diameter puller holes too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts