Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggest, how do u remove the instrument cluster from the dash on a early gq 88 model? Is it very hard? My problem is the odometer and trip meter all of a sudden stopped working and i want to take it apart to see why. thanks

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Took mine off the other week as somehow a small moth had got in there before i bought the vehicle and died.

First you have to take off the dash surround, from memory left and right of the sterring column there is a phillips head screw and some above the instrument cluster, so just slide your hand around until you fell the countersunk screws. Or get the high powered tourch out and youll see them. there are no clips that hold it on.
Once ouve got that off there are about four screws holding the instrument asssembly on, once youve undone them it will come foward a bit and hen you need to disconect the wiring plugs that in the back, there are tabs on the plugs that need to be pressed o release the plugs.

On mine all the plugs were a different shape so you can't mix them up.

the face of the instrument cluster has some very simple tabs that are very obvious so you shouldn't have any problems if you want to take it off to give itl a clean before reassembly.

Have fun

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks it doesnt sound too hard, i`ll see how i go. Yeh while its off i may as well give it a clean too, doesnt look too dirty but i think with a clean it will make it light up better at night.

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Probably should have mentioned, the only side effect i've had since doing mine was the charging gauge stoped working 5 % of the time , altough a mulitmeter across the terminals of the battery showed there altenator was functioning fine.

I suspect that perhaps i could have blown out the plugs before assembly or perhaps I didn't push it in firm enough.

Have fun

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
Be careful with the switches. The last time I did this I broke the Rear Washer/ Wiper switch. I't a tight fit and needs some careful jiggling.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i`ve done the switches plenty of times, they are easy, and if u happen to break the tab on those u can glue them in permanently..lol

·
Registered
nissan
511 Posts
Yeah, and in case some one breaks it for you:headwall: and you ring nissan to see what a new switch is worth, sit down, cause the dimmer one on the right is a measily $200.00

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, and in case some one breaks it for you:headwall: and you ring nissan to see what a new switch is worth, sit down, cause the dimmer one on the right is a measily $200.00

Jesus!!! :eek: I didnt know that...honestly who would pay that much for one, you would just go to the wreckers and pull one of another car....well i would anyway!!

;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up doing it today, it was a peace of piss, only took about an hour. My odometer had stopped clocking over and i think it was just jammed, i gave the numbers a slight turn and un jammed it, trial fitted it and went for a drive and everything was all working again, went back home and finished putting it all together again proparly. Job done !!!

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts