Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Attached are two photos of start motor+solenoid of my GQ RB30.
I'm not quite sure which wire I need to connect to the battery directly to crank the engine.

Wire connected to No 4 on the solenoid is the wire goes into the starter motor.
Even though there are two wires( 1 & 2) goes into the connector plug, there is only one wire comes out of the other end of the connector plug( a white wire with orange stripes), which says either they are both connected directly or one of them( No 1 blue one or No 2 black) is not used for anything or connected to anything.

Can you please help me with some directions?
Also, is there a way to locate that starter solenoid positive wire from upper end of the wire harness adapter, where I can access it easily?!

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
59 Posts
The 2 smaller wires on top are operated via the ignition. If having problem starting ie no power from ignition cross the 2 large terminals with a screw driver. (One of them should be attached to the battery)

·
Registered
nissan
3,857 Posts
Not a single post?!?!
The question was about my own car!
Not about 101 how to steal a car!!!

Come on guys!!!
We are very wary posting any information like this on a publicly accessible world wide forum. I'm sure you understand the reasons why. Pm's are the way to go for this type of information. There also are remote crank/starter kits available from auto stores. You could always approach an auto electrician and ask how to do it.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
short it with a screw driver - will crank but not start
Don't wanna start. Just wanna crank it for a proper compression test(so I can see the dial jumping from stroke to stroke while I'm under the bonnet).

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
dom14,
the two top wires you have labelled as 1 and 2 will be the earth and power from the ignition. I can't remember the Nissan colour code now but black is probably the earth. So if you put power to the other blue wire it will turn over.

The big terminals labeled as 3 and 4 are power from the battery and power to the starter. One of these will be live power all the time, so can be used as the power source to jump to the solenoid to crank.

Do you have a multimeter?
Check which is the earth wire on the top two.
Check which is the power from the battery on the big terminals.
DO NOT SHORT THESE TWO or you get a flash and blow a main fuse link.

Other option to crank is just short out the two big terminals and it will spark and crank.

The big terminal from the battery is live all the time so it is most likely the one with a rubber cover.

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We are very wary posting any information like this on a publicly accessible world wide forum. I'm sure you understand the reasons why. Pm's are the way to go for this type of information. There also are remote crank/starter kits available from auto stores. You could always approach an auto electrician and ask how to do it.
I don't quite understand it mate. Mine was a specific question about cranking the starter motor, not about hot wiring a car. There're plenty of information on the net about hot wiring a car as well as how to brake the steering wheel lock easily.
As a matter of fact, when I tried to google it, those are the most of the hits I got.
That's why I presented my question in a specific manner with specific photos about a specific car model.

Anyway, I should've mentioned about my previous post about this, so it's my fault as well.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/auto-electrical-37/how-crank-engine-without-keys-206930/

I started a new thread, because I thought nobody would notice the old post if I put the same question with a request for more details.

I prefer to avoid connecting the 3 & 4 with a screwdriver, etc. I think it's has potential to end up in disaster with all the amps I'm bypassing. It's hard to find where the blue wire end up, up in the wire harness. So, I reckon, I may have to run a wire directly from the blue wire connected plug to the battery.

Thanks

·
Registered
Nissan
5,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dom14,
the two top wires you have labelled as 1 and 2 will be the earth and power from the ignition. I can't remember the Nissan colour code now but black is probably the earth. So if you put power to the other blue wire it will turn over.

The big terminals labeled as 3 and 4 are power from the battery and power to the starter. One of these will be live power all the time, so can be used as the power source to jump to the solenoid to crank.

Do you have a multimeter?
Check which is the earth wire on the top two.
Check which is the power from the battery on the big terminals.
DO NOT SHORT THESE TWO or you get a flash and blow a main fuse link.

Other option to crank is just short out the two big terminals and it will spark and crank.

The big terminal from the battery is live all the time so it is most likely the one with a rubber cover.
Hi mate,
Yes, I agree. It's not a good idea to short the main battery positive line on the solenoid. It can end up in disaster. It's hard to reach and see ends of 1 and 2 wires from the top. I think I have to go from under the car with the torch & multimeter.
thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts