Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i'm relatively new to patrols (more benz with om's and bmws with m57 ;-) )

was just thinking about the 35hp per liter the my om601 puts out (2.3l with 80hp). if a td42 could bring that we'd be around 150hp. so what's the problem here? is the om601 just designed for more high-end power?

what could be changed on a td42?

--air intake-->airbox and freeflow filter?

--exhaust --> header and 3" straight with open muffler?

--cam--> one with larger opening (how much space left between valves and pistons?) or longer/earlier opening? cam from other nissan fits?

--cam timing--> earlier for more filling makes sense?

--wind up pump--> egts? change injection timing?

roadlegality is not a interesting thing, moving to south america :-D

maybe all has been discussed 1000times here and YES, i know: turbo brings more punch per buck. i just like to build things...

maybe some of you guys could help me understand...

regards, Tim Bo

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,562 Posts
G'day Tim.

I suggest you set aside a few spare weeks, and read the information on this forum in regards to performance upgrades for the TD42. There is a lot to read on here.

In regards to HP, we mostly use KW on here. My TD42 makes 200kw at the rear wheels, which our resident engineer tells me is about 300-320kw at the flywheel. So that converts to 400-430hp.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,469 Posts
G'day Tim.

I suggest you set aside a few spare weeks, and read the information on this forum in regards to performance upgrades for the TD42. There is a lot to read on here.

In regards to HP, we mostly use KW on here. My TD42 makes 200kw at the rear wheels, which our resident engineer tells me is about 300-320kw at the flywheel. So that converts to 400-430hp.
100-120kw drive train loss??

I think your stretching that abit.
A standard td42t makes 100kw at the engine. With your losses, it would make zero at the tyres.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've been told so many different values over the years it gives me a head ache.

I did a Engine Dyno test on my TD42 and got 390Hp after I was put in the Troll I Rolling Dyno it and got 312Hp or about 20% loss. But take that with a grain of salt as the Engine Dyno was done during Summer and 38°C and the Rolling Dyno was done in Winter at 15°C.

Wheel Horsepower to Crankshaft Horsepower Guestimator
Calculating Horsepower

Give a ruff figure to work out a possible figure, which is pretty close to what I found.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
4,562 Posts
100-120kw drive train loss??

I think your stretching that abit.
A standard td42t makes 100kw at the engine. With your losses, it would make zero at the tyres.
If you read my post carefully, you will see that I did not do the calculation. The man that did, knows much more about this stuff than I ever will.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,469 Posts
If you read my post carefully, you will see that I did not do the calculation. The man that did, knows much more about this stuff than I ever will.
I'm not pointing the finger here, but merely saying those calculations are a little out.

200kw=270hp (or close enough)
@ this power at the wheels with drive train losses somewhere at about 30-40hp you have a stout 300hp engine.

A long way from 400hp.
There would only be a very small number of td42's street driven at 400hp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts