Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I couldnt help myself, I now have all the ingredients to start a long and pointless project of fitting an ex GQ ST3 RB30 into HQ ute.

I absolutely love the "old" RB30's as I cut my teeth on them as an apprentice mechanic working at Nizpro in the early 90's when 12 second road cars were quick. Soon after working there, my interests fell more into Fourbying. Everywhere I looked I found an RB30 just begging to be played with in some form of chassis.

Sooner or later I got sick of going fast all together and now im quite happy to just have stuff that tows well and is reliable. A career in the ADF has ment i have spent far too much time away from my young family and toys have not really been a consideration.

Enter the Tonner: I got wind of this beast from a bloke at work his old man bought it for him 15 years ago spent a bit of coin on it but the young bloke never got into it because it was a 202 so it just sat. I drove the 5 hrs to Port Maquarie and paid the 500bux he wanted and dragged it back to inner sydney where every ***** arks up whenever I even use a hacksaw let alone my mig or grinder.

Given that I cant do anything with it until it gets back to Vic, to my mans shed, I stripped out the engine and box and got my money back for the purchase. I spent valentines day back in melb with the wife intending to take her out, but instead found a dead set bargain RB30 complete with patrol sump for 90bux and its a runner.

Im confident in tackling all the mechanical and fab side of this project, but I would like some guidance on any of you guys that know about body work and paint, im sure I will find some horrors under that beige house paint.................stay tuned

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
i would rather see the 1 tonner body on a patrol chassie, that would be interesting

a td42t motor in a ute would also be interesting , crap loads of torque and would idle along the hwy if geared right

but thats just me, look forward to the project

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to mention, I want to use acrylic? (the type you can rub back for a sheen) for the body. What prep do I need from bare metal up and is this doable for a novice. I dont expect show quality and I will be doing it all from home.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah not the full package 4wd, just the engine. My last HZ ute had the RB30Turbo and I managed to squeeze in an independent rear from a 300zx with 4w steer, I ended up having to rose joint the lot and lock it, as it never would have passed engineers with what I originally intended. I know its got stuff all to do with 4wd but I like to see what else you guys are up to in yr sheds other than fourbies. I got some kowledge I want to share with the RB blokes on here who turbo up their patrols. Its a good bunch of people on here with good advice.

Was thinking that a "In the shed" catagory would be alright for this forum.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
use 2 pac mate. i find it easyer to use and the shine is 10 to non. some times if you do a bare metal job you can bite of more than you can chew and wish you never touched it. just go panel buy panel get them all up to primer stage.

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgive my ignorance, doesnt 2 pac need a spray booth/heat lamps? I will almost certainly be back to bare metal in most places as its a HQ with awfull matte beige all over it. Im happy to spend some coin on primer and paint so I dont want to chance it spraying it on suspect undercoats of god knows what.

If I need a roof skin which I may well do................ where is the best place to cut and shut? Just section by section or is it easier to just rip out the perimeter before the screen, channels and cab.

PS. I was dead keen to put a TB45 into the HQ with a powerglide but it just wasnt going to fit.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Arcylic is alright and if done correct can look a million $$$ and last a long time
Really great for a novice forsure
The more coats , the more rub back the deeper the shine
RB30 powered , should go like sh*t of a shovel,especially with a snail on it
Have ya looked into full rego for this ???,or more a play thing

Roof rust, is it bad , maybe post up closer shots
The rear windows are rarer than rocking horse sh*t,but can be found
The scuttle panel forward of the windscreen can be had "new" now
Check out rare spares for whats now avaliable

Theres a few pics here of a holden (HQ-HZ) van on a 4x4 chassis

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I have a snail for it, got a couple actually but the one I will probly use is a Holset HX35W off a cummins, well it had four of them I only need one. Its big in the turbine housing but it will make 9psi which is all I want, even if its fairly late in the revs looks like an equivelant garret turbine of t4 1.06.

Rego/engineers will be fine, im getting it all running with OEM injection first with all polution gear, iron out any bugs and test reliability. Then engineers. I am not certified in automotive engineering mods, but I am a mechanical engineer so I have dealt with a few 'certified' guys before. They are generally happy with neat and well thought out mods, and structural integrity of course.

It has to be engineered and legal as im hoping to go on cruises with my little boy, so no dodgies this time round, It scares me what I used to think was OK, my old HZ was registered as a 308, had a turbo six making 240rwkw, no fire wall, huge wheel spacers and always had bald tyres. You kind of rethink things as you get older.

Will post up pics of the roof skin, plenum looks ok as do doors and guards.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
There used to be a Hx Holden ute just up the road from where i used to work with a 13b rotary engine in it. It had me buggered everytime he drove passed i couldn't figure where the rotary noise was coming from surely not from this fat looking ute. One day he had the bonnet up thats when i found out his of seceret the engine which was was from a Mazda Roadpacer AP which was a Japanese spec Holden with a Rotary engine. He told me it was highly under powered and terrible on fuel but he ejoyed the novelty of it and the dazed look it put on peoples faces as they figured out where the rotary sound came from.

P.S good luck with the build Brunsy keep the updates coming in should be a good read

·
Registered
nissan
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Useless fact no 5. Holden/Mazda did release some crazy contraptions using HQ sedan bodies with 12A rotaries in them, pure madness. Never did quite figure out the theory of the triangle rattling round in a drum. I thought the 'square peg shouldnt go in the round hole'.
It also annoys me that somthing with twice as many sparkplugs, is less than half as reliable.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,333 Posts
The story gets worse Brunsy he pulled a mint 427 big block out to make room for the Rotary some people just don't know when to stop. I would call him a weirdo but it worked out great for me as the 427 found a new home in my HQ statesman after some wheeling and dealing.

·
your mother, she's a top bloke!!!!
nissan patrol
480 Posts
iv done a fair bit of 2pac, clear over base. didnt bake it or do it in a booth. comes up good. i did a van in acrylic, id go 2 pac any day. can just paint panels indivually makes it easyer. if you lived close id give you a hand

·
Banned
2,050 Posts
sorry mate but putting jap crap into real steel is SACRILEGE
What was the most poplar holden ? The VL What motor, Nissan same as a Patrol All GMH have ever made is boat anchors, and they didnt do that well. Many broke before they hit the water. Get a reality check. ( and a life )

Regards B M

·
Registered
nissan
177 Posts
Sorry to hi jack this thread but I thought my next project might be of interest to someone.
Hq one tonner cabin on GQ lwb chassis. Cab is yet to be mounted, I need to talk to the engineer again before I make the mounts. Hopefully it will run 454 and t400. It will have HQ single headlight front, custom front winch bar, custom tray, hq gts dash, custom sliders and much more.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol
3,907 Posts
What was the most poplar holden ? The VL What motor, Nissan same as a Patrol All GMH have ever made is boat anchors, and they didnt do that well. Many broke before they hit the water. Get a reality check. ( and a life )

Regards B M
GMH in USA designed the RB30 and got Japan to build it. Same as these days its designed elsewhere but now made in China rather than Japan.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
Sorry to hi jack this thread but I thought my next project might be of interest to someone.
Hq one tonner cabin on GQ lwb chassis. Cab is yet to be mounted, I need to talk to the engineer again before I make the mounts. Hopefully it will run 454 and t400. It will have HQ single headlight front, custom front winch bar, custom tray, hq gts dash, custom sliders and much more.

WOOOHOOO , the first holden i have seen with potential :cool:

·
85kw of Brute Strength
nissan patrol
829 Posts

Regards B M
actually Big Mouth the most popular Holden was the HQ

The total build number for the HQ was 485,650

the VL was known as an unreliable overheating pile of snot

The total build number for the VLs was 151,801.

you need the reality check daddyo

this will be awesome!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts