Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Looking to rebuild my standard turbo, I can find ht15 kits but they apparently do not suit the -b. Does anyone know a kit or part numbers of items that suit?

Thanks.

Automotive tire Wood Grass Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
I'm not aware of any kits to suit the HT15-B, and don't know why a regular HT15 kit does not suit.

A turbo mob would likely be able to help you out, but I wouldn't bother spending rebuild money on a HT. Put the money towards making something half decent fit.

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not aware of any kits to suit the HT15-B, and don't know why a regular HT15 kit does not suit.

A turbo mob would likely be able to help you out, but I wouldn't bother spending rebuild money on a HT. Put the money towards making something half decent fit.
Only reason I want to spend the money on the ht is a bunch of reasons, beginning with the only reason it blew was cause previous owner plumbed oil return into the vac pump hose, the cars been literally driven up a tree, its an n/a+T, coolant goes walkabout, and it also overheats at speed, it's also just the yard bus so it's not worth the coin. But a cheap rebuild kit I can do myself is. Has just been running in/out the manifold when needed for 2 years now

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,758 Posts
I've never heard of anyone reconditioning a HT15. Everyone I've known that has pulled one off has just chucked it in the bin if there was a problem with it or tossed it in the back of the shed if it was working fine and they were replacing it with something better. I doubt you will find a rebuild kit because there is no market for them. Ask around, you will probably find a second hand one for next to nothing.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
I'll have a look to see if I still have one spare, I think I took it off because it was starting to wear out, or because it was full of oil sludge, should be ok for a farm hack though..
If I haven't chucked it, and you want to pay shipping or pick it up, its yours.

If you find a rebuild kit, I still wouldn't recommend rebuilding a turbo yourself, even for a junk car. They are very finely balanced as they spin extremely fast. An unbalanced compressor wheel could contact the compressor housing sending shavings into the engine and/or breaking the compressor wheel.

Reactions: Overboard

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll have a look to see if I still have one spare, I think I took it off because it was starting to wear out, or because it was full of oil sludge, should be ok for a farm hack though..
If I haven't chucked it, and you want to pay shipping or pick it up, its yours.

If you find a rebuild kit, I still wouldn't recommend rebuilding a turbo yourself, even for a junk car. They are very finely balanced as they spin extremely fast. An unbalanced compressor wheel could contact the compressor housing sending shavings into the engine and/or breaking the compressor wheel.
Cheers mate! Would appreciate if you could have a look! Sorry forgot to respond the other day. Where about are you located? I'm gippsland vic.

I did see that the balancing has to be on point, thought if I mark the compressor wheel and the shaft where they were I can match up the mark and it should technically be balanced. I like to strip and rebuild things myself even if they don't work out how you want them to, it's gives a better understanding of how things work and the learning experience of rebuilding said item. For me it's worth it just for that.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
Cheers mate! Would appreciate if you could have a look! Sorry forgot to respond the other day. Where about are you located? I'm gippsland vic.

I did see that the balancing has to be on point, thought if I mark the compressor wheel and the shaft where they were I can match up the mark and it should technically be balanced. I like to strip and rebuild things myself even if they don't work out how you want them to, it's gives a better understanding of how things work and the learning experience of rebuilding said item. For me it's worth it just for that.
I'm in Gippy too mate.
I have had a look, no luck so far. I'll try my parents joint next time I'm over there, I think there is still some stuff sitting in one of my other cars.

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in Gippy too mate.
I have had a look, no luck so far. I'll try my parents joint next time I'm over there, I think there is still some stuff sitting in one of my other cars.
Thanks for having a look! Much appreciated!

Had to move it over the weekend neighbours weren't impressed with a 7am and 9pm run straight out the manifold 😅

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts

Had to move it over the weekend neighbours weren't impressed with a 7am and 9pm run straight out the manifold 😅
Heading over there this weekend mate, I'll let you know if it turns up

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts

Found the CHRA mate. Couldn't find the housings or oil lines, I don't think I turfed them so they have likely entered a parallel universe.
All those parts are reasonably easy to swap and clock into position from your old turbo, though the turbine housing can sometimes take a little persuasion to break free.

There is some axial play in the shaft, and looks like evidence of a bit of oil on the compressor wheel, so its getting tired, but it was used on my daily driver and I just changed to a healthier turbo.

·
1986 SD33T SWB
11,384 Posts
That is the only bit that wears out so all he needs.
Yes, just stating what I did and didn't find. Better for him to know now that it will require parts to be swapped over.

·
Registered
Nissan
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, just stating what I did and didn't find. Better for him to know now that it will require parts to be swapped over.
Beauty mate! Sorry again, I've notifications set to email and rules but they still get chucked into spam and doesn't alert me! That's all I'll really need as I've got the housing and what not laying about from when I stripped mine down. I'll shoot you a msg once I'm home.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts