Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan gq patrol
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice thinking about fitting a ht18 from a GU to my gq 4.2
Looking to run about 10 psi, maybe intercooled. Dont need alot of power just want a littler more power when i need it

Will the ht18 be sufficient for a mild increase or will I need to get a different turbo?

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,157 Posts
It will certainly do what you have described, but after that it has its limitations. So if down the track you want to get more power, it will not be as good as other options.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
The HT18 is a great little turbo for upgrading a non turbo TD42.
Something up around 12-13psi and you are in for a seriously big increase in power and torque.

IMO alot better than DTS/Denco/Safari kits you can buy and generally 1/8th of the price if you pick it up from someone that has upgraded their GU to a UFI turbo.

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
Ive had the HT18 on mine for about 3.5 years without problems. A good starting point if you cant justify the cost of a UFI at the moment. Found increased efficiencies by having the injectors re-coed not long after fitting the turbo also.

·
Registered
nissan
321 Posts
Dont waste your time with it, get something better like an off the shelf kit from one of the more reputable conpanies or go for a TD05 16g. I had a na TD42 gq and put an AXT off the shelf kit no intercooler on mine and got to about 100rwkw which was a massive improvement. Then went to a factory turbo GU stock standard turbo, wound the boost to 15psi and was very underwhelmed, less than what my gq had by a long way, about 80rwkw.
Ive now got an 18g on mine so you can can have the ht18 for $100 if you want it but i think there are better options out there.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Not for the price there isn't, you can pick up a ht18 second hand kit less manifold for $200-500.
You will easily get 90rwkw out of it if your pumps in good nick on a gq and a gu set up will get 110 ish rwkw if pumps in good nick. Sure there no 16/18g but they there also no where near the price either, I'm disregarding all Chinese crap here to.
To OP you will get a great increase from fitting a ht18 gu set up and not have you wallet emptied!
Do it!!

·
Registered
nissan
684 Posts
for you want mate in my opinion it will do the job just fine, it will go forever too, I got dynoed tuned at 114 rwkw on 265/75's at 12.5 psi with a crappy PWR Barrel intercooler, that was 3 or 4 years ago. I got 320000 out of mine and the shaft play was still in spec and loving life

Cheers

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
The HT18 is a great little turbo for upgrading a non turbo TD42.
Something up around 12-13psi and you are in for a seriously big increase in power and torque.

IMO alot better than DTS/Denco/Safari kits you can buy and generally 1/8th of the price if you pick it up from someone that has upgraded their GU to a UFI turbo.
Hmm seems to contradict everything I've ever read from everyone on this forum before when comparing a ht18 to a dts kit.

·
Premium Member
nissan patrol
3,946 Posts
Maybe everyone talking about DTS kits own dts kits and never tried anything else?
Also comparing a roughly $600-$1000 setup HT18 vs a $5000 dts kit.

If money wasnt the object you would go and use a UFI/Garrett/Gturbo which would crap on everything else out there.
But if you want to use budget as one of the main factors in the decision I dont think you can find a better setup than the factory ht18. So many of them around with everybody in a gu upgrading to UFI stuff.

Just for a little comparison here is a couple of DTS kits ive fitted over the years vs a garrett turbo.
The ht 18 makes nearly the same power as the garrett does, but at 12psi rather than 9psi and spools up to 12psi at 2000rpm.
Look how lazy all the dts kits are, and the kicker really is they run alot more fuel to get those results than the garrett did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts