Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan k160
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
Im new on this forum and I need some help.

where should I drill and tap on the servo? its a 160 model.
If anyone can give me tips and some pics I would be happy:p
/Sebastian

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread.
I am trying to fit hydro assist to my GQ patrol (with GU steering box) anybody have any information, pictures or videos on how to tap a GU patrol Steering box?
It's pretty easy. remove pitman arm, undo sector top cap and remove sector shaft. undo powerhead and piston and slide out (do not unscrew) tap the top near the front powerhead and anywhere at the rear of the body behind where the piston seal runs. Basically if you tap either side of where the piston seal run then you are fine. It's really easy once you look inside, if you aren't comfortable with doing this then probably best just giving it to someone who has done it before.

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
I made a huge mistake tapping one of the holes.....for others to learn from my mistake...I tapped the hole too far "right"..use the measuring tool for reference and you'll notice the hole should have been further left for the white Piston oil seal to never make contact with the tapped hole...

Now the question is if I can find a good enough machine shop in Central America to fix my mistake or trash this steering box housing...

Attachments

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,041 Posts
Centre hole for your 1/4 BSP or NPT 20mm from the boss end or the edge of your drill hole just shy of your seal when piston is in the closed position i believe.

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
We sealed up the mistake hole with a bronze plug and sanded it down smooth...Piston moves in there, gets a tiny bit harder to turn when the seal gets to that point as expected.. we'll see if it holds up or if I totally ruined this box...time will tell.. I think I made the new hole too far to the opposite side now...I don't think enough oil will make its way through...

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Today we installed the RAM. Very hard to mount, not a lot of space...this is the best I could come up with although not ideal , I hope the diff housing holds up. Tomorrow I install the ported GU steering box, hook up the hoses, purse and test.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Today we installed the tapped larger GU steering box, hooked it up to the RAM, purged the system. Steering feels slower than stock, kinda significantly. I went with a 1.5" diameter RAM, maybe it's too much. Currently running 33" tires and automatic diff lock. Next tires will be 35". I may actually try running the GU steering box without the hydro assist RAM and see how it feels...or drill out the fitting hole on the high pressure side of the pump to see if more flow helps. Maybe just have to get used to it who knows.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
you need to adjust the flow control valve. limit the command bypass flow so that there is about 20% flow increase at idle

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
you need to adjust the flow control valve. limit the command bypass flow so that there is about 20% flow increase at idle
Thank you for your input. Could you please specify exactly where this flow control valve is? On the pump or box? And exactly where on the pump or steering box? Thank you.

I'm also getting overflow at the pump tank, a Lot. It oils up the whole engine bay, hood, everything... Even without the assist ram, just the GU steering box upgrade does this. Do I need a larger pump reservoir?

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Ok I tapped another steering box since the first one I ruined by drilling wrong right into where the Piston travels...it was probably leaking at the seal where I drilled wrong and sending high pressure to return line at reservoir.

Setup is working well except for little bit slower steering speed which I guess is to be expected since the asissted cylinder must be filled with oil at the stock pump flow rate whatever the stock GPM is, no one knows. Stock pump is around 1,200PSI but haven't been able to find GPM.

I think I'll be upgrading eventually to this 1,600PSI , 4.5GPM pump and also remove my vacuum braking system and installing a hydroboost brake system at the Same time. The pump should make steering much faster and non noticable applying brakes with hydroboost.

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/psc-...eering-pump-1600-psi-4-5-gpm-psc-sp1200x.html

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts