Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just say i somehow accidently damaged, destroyed or completely removed the standard rear bar of my GU4, would an insurance company be willing to put the repair bill towards a Kaymar (or the like) rear bar? when you think about it, it really is in there best interest to do so given the added strength and protection. anyway what do you think they would say?

jamie

·
Registered
196 Posts
A mate with a Disco did exactly that a few years ago through AAMI, he had accidentally reversed into a bank (dirt type!) and smashed up the bar and rear 3/4 panel, looked minor but cost the insurance co. around $7k!!.

From memory the Kaymar bar actually worked out cheaper than the genuine Disco bits!

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
just say i somehow accidently damaged, destroyed or completely removed the standard rear bar of my GU4, would an insurance company be willing to put the repair bill towards a Kaymar (or the like) rear bar? when you think about it, it really is in there best interest to do so given the added strength and protection. anyway what do you think they would say?

jamie
I haven't heard of that NOT happening actually.

In our club over the past few years there have been several members who have paid the difference between front ally bars that got trashed and steel winch bars and one that paid the difference for a steel bar in lieu of the factory gear.

The insurers don't usually care as it doesn't affect the $ they have to pay.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Like all things there is no harm in asking, I have negotiated a number of issues with insurance companies over the years and found them fairly reasonable. My car was badly hail damaged and we negotiated a very suitable setlement.

·
Registered
NIssan
882 Posts
ask them for a cash settlement for the quote amount or make a deal with the repairer for upgrade. either works

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
The insurance company I used were more than happy to replace my alloy bar with a steel ARB winch bar. Mine was declared un repairable - A young lad who did not stop at a stop sign & scraped the front of it and the alluminium peeled back. I bearly felt a thing.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ask them for a cash settlement for the quote amount or make a deal with the repairer for upgrade. either works
cash settlement is the way to go and you shouldnt have a problem with your insurer agreeing to this. but remember that cash settlements the repairs are not guaranteed so once you get the cheque from your insurer your on your own.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,370 Posts
I had my insurance pay for a new ally bar after I put a hole in my factory plastic bumper on a previous foorby. The repairer could not locate a replacement bumper in a reasonable time frame and I refused a plastic repair so they had to pay for a custom one to be made. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just asked the panel beater to give me the money that the genuine rear bumper and strenghter bar cost and I used that plus the extra $1500 to get an opposite lock rear bar with 2 wheel carriers and a anther arm with 2 jerrys on it. I saved $2000 that way.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,552 Posts
The insurers don't usually care as it doesn't affect the $ they have to pay.
X2. When my factory winch bar (made by ARB anyway) got side swiped and twisted it was a bit cheaper to get a non genuine winch bar. So the ins co of the driver that hit me got me a cheezy bar. Was a few hundred cheaper than a Nissan (ARB) bar and stronger too IMO.
When I had my Rodeo I had extra's insurance and the custom winch bar, rear bar, and sliders were all insured for an agreed replacement value, even though I made them myself at my own business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts