Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so title says what I mean, but what do I mean?

I would like to take 10 min of your time to talk about contractors

I am a contractor, have been for nearly 13 months.

This is what gets me boiled over. I have not had any sick leave, I am not entitled to it, I have not had a Holiday, I am not entitled to it. I have had days off due to family issues, I did not get paid. I have Public holidays off, I did not get paid.

Why did I start this thread?

Good question!!

I have held a full time job for many a good year, 12 in fact. with a Telco, and we had contractors in t perform roles. Roles which I would not pay any team member a pittance to perform. Clerical, Chore inducing,headache producing, mundane everyday roles.

Did I appreciate these members?...................No, these guys, of which i am now one are your unsung hero's. We do the chit you won't, we work for less, are not entitled to anything, and heaven forbid we need a day off.

Yes. some will say we are compensated for this by a higher pay rate. I am here to tell you this is a lie, most of us are employed from $20 to $25 an hour. Some recruitment agencies will tell us this is well above a base salary. I will agree, it is above the $15-18 base wage, but and here is the BUT. Look at any Full time employee wages, include the perks, Sick leave 4 weeks annual leave etc, and tell me any contractor is being paid fairly!!

So next time you are in the office, have a look around, see that contractor there, he or she is a big part of your team, they are giving everything they have to making the business that employs you a success.

Now have another look. notice any FT staff not there, notice anyone on AL, notice that poor bastard sitting at his or her desk sloggin there guts out? More than likely it's a contractor, hoping like hell, that one day someone will notice them enough to offer a full time job.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Whinge, whinge, whinge is all you farken contractors ever do ...

quickly runs away and hides

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
You the kinda guy that if someone gave you $1000 you would whinge it was $50 notes and not $100 notes?

Welcome to the real world:D

·
Registered
nissan
238 Posts
I'm in the same boat. At my last site, I got arseholed after 13 months, and I was the hardest worker on our crew. When I went for a permanent position, everyone was asking why I didn't get a position. Turns out a guy most of us had been calling the weasel had been sticking the knives into my back and turned the superintendent against me. Funnily enough, after the truth came out, he made himself rather scarce. There's a fist here just waiting to meet his face. But that's just one of the things contractors have to deal with.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
I'm a contractor and you get treated as sub human but I'm on a higher rate and paid hourly so I simply deal with the crap. Setup a company and avoid the agencies and do your own leg work.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Don't like it, don't do it ;)

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,286 Posts
One thing I hated about being a contractor , was blooded union sites , it would rain and I would keep working, only to be called a scab. Fuk you if I don't work I don't get paid . I love my current job full only thing that will make it better is apart from more coin is to be put on full time contract instead of 3 month contracts. But after 12 months they have to .

Sent using carrier pigeon from Bill Lawrie

·
Buy the Patrol Back
nissan patrol
1,460 Posts
Dont know about this paid less **** being a Contractor I only did it because it paid more....Paid less for the same work as someone esle Fcuk that **** find another job.

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Yep if youre a contractor you should get paid atleast 30% more as you don't get any benefits. I wouldn't get of bed for $25 an hour in a contract role. Maybe if I was 22 and needed parts for my sik falcon.

·
Registered
nissan gu
1,988 Posts
depends on what your contracting on...

I have a few friends who do it... and they do very well... one is an electrician and one is a sheet metal worker...

what are you contracting as?

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,085 Posts
I would type a long reply but I'm on paid holidays and don't have time.
You will have to wait till I'm back at work where the boss can pay for my forum time.:sorry:

Just kidding. What is the go with super for contract workers. If you are contracted to the same employer 100% of the time aren't they supposed to pay it? 70/30 rule or something?
Or is that subcontracting rather than just contracting?

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
Lesson learned...
Stay at school
Get a good education along with a recognised qualification or skill

=

a higher paying job

No complaining about minimum wage and fighting off every other unskilled worker for the job. Or about the others that can get the FT jobs

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,708 Posts
Lesson learned...
Stay at school
Get a good education along with a recognised qualification or skill

=

a higher paying job

No complaining about minimum wage and fighting off every other unskilled worker for the job. Or about the others that can get the FT jobs
Meh, I failed year 10 and make, ummm, more than enough to pay the bills;)

Just put in a bit, have a go and don't bitch, amazing where it will get you....don't see the negatives as things to moan about, look at what changes you can make to improve them, or the position you are in or just look at the positives

Either way, you can moan and go nowhere or put in and get somewhere, he should use this as an opportunity, the benefits of running your own business are massive, there is a lot of perks for those that can have a little discipline and dedication

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
I'm with Cloughy.

I am a high school drop out earning well over 1/2 a mill a year, not including bonuses, and get 6 months of the year off (there are sacrifices to be made though).

I got it from being head down, arse up and workin like a mutha fukka.

Not from being arse down, head up, mouth open and jaw flappin ...

It also helps not to be stupid (and I don't mean mentally challenged) ...

·
Registered
nissan
643 Posts
your a sparky aren't you cloughy?
If so then You did stay at school and you did get an education and you have a recognised qualification.
Some will succeed, ( the minority) others (most) with fall into the job market along with every other school dropout.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,049 Posts
I'm with Cloughy.

I am a high school drop out earning well over 1/2 a mill a year, not including bonuses, and get 6 months of the year off (there are sacrifices to be made though).

I got it from being head down, arse up and workin like a mutha fukka.

Not from being arse down, head up, mouth open and jaw flappin ...

It also helps not to be stupid (and I don't mean mentally challenged) ...
The exception but not the rule. Not putting you down DB. I have recommended many students who are not suited for school to leave and get a job. Most have been successful. Education is learning, not necessarily schooling. Those that enjoy the learning process are usually successful. The harder you work the luckier you get.

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
I say cop out Jakster.

I know plenty who also did not get a trade or go on to any other qualification when they left school at the end year 10. With the exception of 1, all the others have done very well for themselves.

It does help that none of us were dummies to start with, however, the 1 who did not make it was the smartest of us all.

His problem was that he thought he was owed a living, and he did nothing but bitch and moan about how unfair it all is. He got fired regularly for it as well.

The thing about him and other losers (using that term very loosely) is that they always have excuses about how unfair it is, how they are being screwed by the man, how it is always someone else's fault.

The world is what you make of it, if you don't make anything of it then it is your own fault and so you should stop whinging.

I do realise that there are those who may not have many grey cells to rub together and for them life will be tough and so laws are needed to protect them for those who would take advantage, however, I have yet so see anyone who is so mentally challenged on this forum that they would fall into that category, so far.

·
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
The exception but not the rule. Not putting you down DB. I have recommended many students who are not suited for school to leave and get a job. Most have been successful. Education is learning, not necessarily schooling. Those that enjoy the learning process are usually successful. The harder you work the luckier you get.
Thus proving there is no such thing as luck ...

1 - 20 of 78 Posts