Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #1
gday all after doing the engine swap on the weekend i took the shorty for a 1/2 hour drive to see if all was well stoped a few times to cheack some things and noticed air bubbles in the radiator but no water or milkybits in the oil could this be the head gasket or hopefully just a air lock in the water galleries temps got to about 2 needle widths under half on the temp guage and it used about a litre of water or could it be zorst and inlet gaskets your thoughts please guys

Registered
nissan patrol mk
to me that sounds exactly like a head gasket...
If you open up the filler cap on the radiator, when you start up the car, you shouldn't have any bubbles or geysers shooting out of the radiator, if you do, it's your head gasket for sure

If you go ahead and swap it, get an original from Nissan, as after market ones aren't any good

Good luck with it :)

KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
^^^^
Yep massive amount of bubbles or gyser from rad sure sign of a dud head gasket

BUT,there could also be an air lock

Do a search theres a bit on here regarding getting all the air out of the system

The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
yeah i would say when you first fill the radiator and have it running, bigger bubbles would be an air lock, but lots of smaller bubbles is a sure sign of a blown gasket.

These normaly go like that, i have not heard of many sd33's getting milky oil.
almost every sd head has crackes between the valves and is pretty normal with these, not saying it is good but a search might find you some better info.

Registered
nissan
I also blew a Gasket last time and after removing the head found cracks between the valves.
Remounted everything with a new gasket (OM part because aftermarket not quality) and did over 100.000 with no problems.
Leaky waterpumps kill your gaskets.
Had to learn it the hard way:headwall:

Registered
nissan 84
We had the same problem with the head,but also had very small cracks on top of the pistons did yours have that also ?

Registered
nissan
Cracks in the top of the pistons is also very common.
I seen two engines with this.
They appear to be heat cracks.
Wasn't very sure about leaving them in but did and no problem so far.

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #14
finally got to pull the head off this weekend and found the gasket was gone but to my surprise near new pistons, sleaves and head bolts. block and head have been machined
but i did find that about 6 valve stem seals were pretty much non exisant
i think it had been sitting for a while as 2 of the water jackets were nearly blocked causing the gasket to blow

1 - 14 of 14 Posts