Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have try,ed a couple of different clutches the latest being. An extreme outback extra heavy duty organic with 1100kg clamp load. but my poor old td42 slips the clutch in 3 gear when boosting so after a lot of research i have ordered a clutch from npc in brisvages .Iits a dodge viper cover with a custom copper mix organic plate to suit a patrol. I will now need to have the flywheel re drilled to suit the bolt up of the viper cover. I will put up picks later and let every one know how it survives

my patrol is making just over 180kw atw on 35s and the car is quite heavy as its set up for touring and i didnt want a button clutch as i tow a caravan regularly

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
If you've got a few different clutches that all slip then my guess is that problem isn't a faulty clutch. Sounds more like poor fitment, or poor driving style. Haven't heard of anyone else having problems with multiple clutches under normal conditions.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its all to do with the torque not poor fitment clutch was tested by extreme and i was told that it was fine and that was the best they could do in an organic clutch if you read up on a lot of bigger powered td42 the problem is quite common weeman has a custom clutch for the same reason i also know db1891 had to fit this same clutch to fix the same problem

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,212 Posts
I haven't heard of people with modded TD42s with clutch issues before unless as said it wasn't fitted right or mud and **** has got into the bellhousing.

·
Registered
nissan
11,124 Posts
I've heard heaps about it. 180kw is ALOT of power to be putting thru a clutch with a but of torque I can see why ur chewing out clutches like they are going out of fashion. Good luck with the new one let us all know how it goes

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It's not the horsepower, its the fact that power is developed with so few RPM. This means massive torque, as much as you'd see from more than 7 litres of petrol engine.

I put a bigger fuel pump on and tuned it up and it wouldn't hold 5th gear without slipping, once it got hot 4th would slip too. Tall tyres aggravates the problem.

I went with an ACS clutch, I haven't fitted it yet. The pressure plate has about double the clamping force and a 6 puck ceramic centre but still with springs in it. ACS were very good, we sent them a dyno plot and explained the purpose of the vehicle and they built one to suit even though there was nothing in their catalogue of that rating. They didnt charge any special fees either.

The thing with ceramics is they get grabby if you put heat into them by riding them too much, you need to alter your driving style.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
acs make the extreme out back as said before i dont want a puck clutch i want an organic disk i spoke to there clutch guru and was told what i have in my shed is the best they do in an organic clutch to suit and the clamp pressure in my cover was as much as could be extracted from my cover same cover as yours thats why a different clutch cover is required (the viper cover)

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
clutch slipping under normal conditions, comes from lack of clamping pressure

for those looking for big HP and a clutch that should handle it, search around and see if you can find a compatible centerforce clutch setup, they work the same way or very similar to clutches seen in chainsaws

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I understand why you dont want ceramic. For my application it'll be fine but a daily driver will drive you nuts.

Does your pressure plate look anything like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
2,913 Posts
I use a 3200lb(1420kg) 11 chev pressure plate, and a standard type clutch plate.
I had to modify the fingers on the diaphram a little to get the installed hight right but it works quite well.
Cost was very resonable aswell, think maybe $300 for clutch and pressure plate.
Its still holding quiet well with the new pump and turbo setup.

Marty

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Tim's would be something like 750Nm, mine is just under 600Nm.
That's at the flywheel, not tractive newtons which people are fond of quoting because it's a nice big number.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I understand why you dont want ceramic. For my application it'll be fine but a daily driver will drive you nuts.

Does your pressure plate look anything like this?
yeah it looks identical except its painted purple
i am sure if i opted for the puck style clutch which they advertise as 1500kg clamp load i would work fine

the guy from npc said the viper cover clamping pressure increases with rpm or something like that from what i read on there website he used to work for exceedy (makers of the safari tuff)so he knows the product the new cluch is a dk (exceedy) cover as soon as i get the flywheel and clutch back from being re drilled i will post picks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts