Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 284 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me fellow Patrolers, for I have sinned, I've been thinking of getting rid of the mighty 2.8:eek:
I don't use the Patrol much & am finding it hard to justify the expense of running two vehicles, especially after our finances have taken a hit due to the plague.
My days of real hard off roading are over, but will still like to get out onto the local fire trails & forest roads as well as explore the Northern parts of the NSW ranges. Not interested in a dual cab, so would be looking for a 2nd hand wagon that would be suitable as a daily driver & reasonable off road capability. Just wondering what others would have if they didn't have their Patrol.

Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
9,955 Posts
Forgive me fellow Patrolers, for I have sinned, I've been thinking of getting rid of the mighty 2.8:eek:
I don't use the Patrol much & am finding it hard to justify the expense of running two vehicles, especially after our finances have taken a hit due to the plague.
My days of real hard off roading are over, but will still like to get out onto the local fire trails & forest roads as well as explore the Northern parts of the NSW ranges. Not interested in a dual cab, so would be looking for a 2nd hand wagon that would be suitable as a daily driver & reasonable off road capability. Just wondering what others would have if they didn't have their Patrol.
I recon you would look good in a Rav4 or Xtrail .

Reactions: Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
I have a great deal of respect for the MUX, that is the way I would go if I ever got rid of mine.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
I recon you would look good in a Rav4 or Xtrail .
On a (more) serious note, dunno about Rav4, but with X-Trail, T32 is rubbish. Mom's taxi and nothing more. T30 is getting very long in the tooth, so a late model T31 is probably your best bet out of these. The diesel manual was one of the best Nissans I've ever driven and ironically, the diesel auto is one of the worst. Just don't expect to be able to go anywhere where you need 4WD, apart from the beach, maybe.

Ford Everest!
Great car but too expensive. Same as Fortuner.

I have a great deal of respect for the MUX, that is the way I would go if I ever got rid of mine.
If looking at relatively new, this is where I'd put my money.

If you're looking at something a little older, I'd say probably a Pajero or Prado.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
On a (more) serious note, dunno about Rav4, but with X-Trail, T32 is rubbish. Mom's taxi and nothing more. T30 is getting very long in the tooth, so a late model T31 is probably your best bet out of these. The diesel manual was one of the best Nissans I've ever driven and ironically, the diesel auto is one of the worst. Just don't expect to be able to go anywhere where you need 4WD, apart from the beach, maybe.

Great car but too expensive. Same as Fortuner.

If looking at relatively new, this is where I'd put my money.

If you're looking at something a little older, I'd say probably a Pajero or Prado.
Good point re Paj, my travelling companion bought a 2014 3.2 diesel Paj, very capable vehicle with lots of room

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,809 Posts
subaru.
Dont forget the cannon..

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
I ask myself this question every other week about what we would replace the wife's Pajero with which we bought as the tow rig and main car. And get disappointed every time I toss around the market list. if it wasn't the wife's daily I would consider either a Ranger or V6 Amarok, although wife's current health incident is most likely going to solve our issue of no longer needing a tow vehicle so it might be time for me to look at restructuring both vehicles and ditching the GU ute and the Paj for a Y62 for me and a small car for her or maybe just the one vehicle. Regardless of the following thoughts the Y62 really stays up towards the top of my list towing or not.

If only considering wagons, I just cannot see the value in any of the Toyotas. The Fortuner I would put at the very bottom of the list, just above the Mitsubishi Challenger which in auto form is a bucket of pus. (that is my experienced opinion) I just think Toyota charge way too much for what they don't put in their cars. Don't think much of the retro brown interior of the Fortuner either.

The Challenger replacement, the Pajero Sport is just the ugliest thing on the market and a big space waster, especially in the front driver/passenger compartment. And they seem to have spend more thought on gizmos in it than actually making an upgrade over the Challenger.
The MUX does present good value for what you get, looks pretty good and seems to have few complaints like the DMax.

The Pajero gets a bum rap for being outdated and just generally considered daggy but it is a bloody good car. Has no real new flashy gizmos or excessive gearbox ratios but with the old proven and reasonably powerful 3.2 litre and well proven 5 speed box it just does what it is supposed to do and has done for years. And really the styling has held up pretty well and it's packed with plenty of the features you actually need, rather than those ones you didn't know you needed till someone threw them in for the hell of it.

I really like the Everest and if pushed for options I would try and afford one but the price point really does seem a little out there for another Asian built ute based wagon but the higher spec models do seem well appointed and at least there are a couple of models that you can still get with the 3.1 litre motor. They might even have the spec and build to go head to head with Toyota on price but still at the end of the day it's just a Ford 4WD and really how much cred does that have here in Aust.

The Trailblazer you can probably get cheap right now but never cheap enough for me. We looked them when we ended up with the Pajero and they really seem cheap. Didn't drive one so not sure if they redeem themselves but they just seemed to cheap for us to bother.

For value I really don't think you can go past the Pajero and MUX.

My shopping list starts, rightly or wrongly, by deleting everything with an engine under 3.0 litres. Then I work up from there.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
If you're looking for a more modern vehicle then your choices are fairly limited if you don't want a land yacht 200 or Y62, it leaves pretty much just wagons based on the same platforms as dual cabs.

Trailblazer is a reasonable vehicle, nice enough to probably have sold a bit better than it did. Engine and trans combo is a ripper - excellent power and torque and the 6L80 is well matched to it, good on fuel too. It's not built like a Patrol underneath, but it looked to be solid enough, more so than I was expecting.

I had the chance to look at one back to back with a Hilux a little while ago, and the Holden does a lot of things better. The Hilux interior is a shambles of different materials and angles and lines that don't match up - not a big deal, but ugly. Seats are crap, thats a big deal. Engine and trans are just flat out not in the same league, the Toyota still has enough power, but noticeably less and the transmission sucks, lazy shifts, fussy, always buzzing between gears.
A bit of a poke around under the bonnet shows Toyota have been designing 4x4s for a lot longer than GM Brazil - the layout is nicer and more logical, there is a spot for a 2nd battery, electrical components are better placed, theres a factory installed accessory fuse box and you don't need tools to check the air cleaner. By modern standards and complexities, Toyota did an excellent job making necessary items accessible and laying items out.
I would imagine MUX, everest etc are all reasonable too.

Perhaps a newer GU could be an option, even if you don't use the off road ability to its full extent a GU IV+ is a nice car. Ditto with a 105/100 series Landcruiser, very nice cars, a bit nicer inside than a GU. Not as strong in the driveline, but that won't be an issue for you. A 120 series Prado would be a reasonable choice too, as far as i know they were pretty reliable, I think the issues with the diesels started with the 150 series.

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
We compared all the Ute based wagons 3 years ago and ended up with a Trailblazer as the missus daily. The upgrade for from the Colorado 7 made a big difference to the quality of the interior, especially the dash and the early problems of excess oil use in the motors seems to be fixed. She doesn’t do a lot of kilometres , just clicked over 30k but it’s n
been reliable in that time and it isn’t that bad off-road. Certainly no Patrol but more than capable of getting along fire trails and gravel roads. The motor and box is the highlight, I had better than the asthmatic 2.8 used in the current Toyota’, my work Hikux is a POS, worse then the Landcruiser dual cab I had.

from what we looked at the Everest was a nice car but overpriced, Fortuner, overpriced and underpowered. MU-X similar to trailblazer with less gadgets and less power. Pajero Sport, nice gearbox but too cramped and underpowered.

The old Pajero is still a decent car. Better off-road than the Ute based wagons, decent power and reasonably priced. The reason we didn’t get one was the rear seat configuration, it isn’t a split fold so both seats up or folded away and the stupid spot they moved the spare wheel to means the tow hitch is way too low for our camper if we want to open the back door with the trailer attached

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,895 Posts
You get a lot for very little, good warranty.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,809 Posts
Some of the places i've seen subaru outbacks get is quite amazing. A guy at work has one with bigger tyres and he takes it everywhere.
And I bet it is more reliable than any late model computer operated dpf choked covid cart.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,518 Posts
Reactions: Kiwi_dingo

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,204 Posts
I'd be happy with a Pajero. After doing a fair few k's in my fathers, I don't mind it at all and I'd have it over the Colorado / MUX, although both of those will return better fuel eco.
Looks like chit, but everything else is ok :ROFLMAO: (y)

·
Registered
nissan
257 Posts
I traded my tb45 in on a Pajero low k diesel, missed the patrol for a while but the pajero is a great car, dare i say better than my old patrol, certainly a lot more powerful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 284 Posts