Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
241 - 260 of 284 Posts

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
Mahindra remind me a little of Hyundai.
Started off building industrial/commercial vehicles and equipment, slowly expanded into passenger vehicles as cheap knock offs, licence deals etc, and slowly improve to build up a well established portfolio and movement towards their own designs, engineering etc.
Hyundai built a lot of Mitsubishi stuff under licence in their earlier days, learned what works and what doesn't and now they thrive where Mitsubishi struggle.
Mahindra are probably 15-20 years away from being properly competitive and their appeal in western markets will be strongly tied to the Indian economy and market demand, but they very well could become a much larger player outside of India.

The Japanese did the same thing in the early days, Nissan, Toyota, Mitsubishi all built knock off or licenced British/American designs through the 40s and 50s before branching out more and more into their own designs.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,549 Posts
Forgive me fellow Patrolers, for I have sinned, I've been thinking of getting rid of the mighty 2.8:eek:
I don't use the Patrol much & am finding it hard to justify the expense of running two vehicles, especially after our finances have taken a hit due to the plague.
My days of real hard off roading are over, but will still like to get out onto the local fire trails & forest roads as well as explore the Northern parts of the NSW ranges. Not interested in a dual cab, so would be looking for a 2nd hand wagon that would be suitable as a daily driver & reasonable off road capability. Just wondering what others would have if they didn't have their Patrol.
No patrol,then a mog with a chair-lift. :D

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,837 Posts
probably a 2500 ram or a 4x4 truck. like an nps or hino
The nps / hino etc are getting popular. My mate tows his van with his and gets about 21/100. He has had a remap done. It is like a truck to ride in and will bottom out the front easily. Drop another 8k on suspension and it will fix this. Also need a suspension hitch for the van. A quick day trip we did to emu creek.

And with his van hooked up

·
Registered
nissan
11,211 Posts
The nps / hino etc are getting popular. My mate tows his van with his and gets about 21/100. He has had a remap done. It is like a truck to ride in and will bottom out the front easily. Drop another 8k on suspension and it will fix this. Also need a suspension hitch for the van. A quick day trip we did to emu creek.

View attachment 532030

And with his van hooked up

View attachment 532031
thats essentially what im looking at. id probably go the hino as i have a 4x2 model now and its been a pretty bloody good truck. super singles, i have someone who can custom build springs for them cheap and i reckon id throw a set of radflo shocks under it and it would be ok.
i put slightly better shocks and an extra leaf in my current truck and it made it a lot better. the super singles would improve it again. how does he go with the two buggies on sideways? must be running as an oversize load is it?

ideally though id built a slide on camper setup so can use it on the back, setup a base camp or pull it off and put my toolboxes back on for work. about 12 months and i reckon ill be doing something along these lines.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,234 Posts
I remember reading about the Pajeros death a couple of years back, I'm surprised Mitsubishi limped it along as much as they did.

There has also been rumors of a common body and platform for the new Patrol and a revived Pajero under the Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi clusterfcuk.
I truly hope not.
I don't really care what they do, as long as Nissan keep their self professed iconic models (GT-R, Z and Patrol) in house.
With Ghosn gone there is a chance of that, especially since the new Z has been leaked.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
I wonder how long before we see them out here & how much they'll cost.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
I wonder how long before we see them out here & how much they'll cost.
Yeah the cost would be interesting. IMO if they can keep it below 75k AUD they'll be on to a very good thing. Unfortunately it seems like in this segment, OEM's seem to think less is (worth) more, e.g. LC70 and G-Wagon Professional.

Seems like you'll be able to order one in Oct and it seems like they're pretty far down the line with development so I don't think the wait time will be much longer than for anything new these days with chipegeddon.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
They look good, but I don't think I'd get one as I'll be looking for something with lower roof height. I want to get my kayak out more & the height of the Patrol makes it difficult to load & the Grenadier looks at least as tall.
If I decide to get something new, it will be early next year after my uncles estate is finalised. At this stage I'm considering either a Ford Everest 3.2L or Pajero Sport. The new MU-X looks like it could be ok, but doesn't look like it will be available with only 5 seats.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,809 Posts
Just spend some $$ on the GU..Your never gunna sell it anyway..Dont join the tuppaware bankok billy cart brigade.
Start a build thread..after all, with your background, you'd nail it. (y) (y)

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,535 Posts
Just spend some $$ on the GU..Your never gunna sell it anyway..Dont join the tuppaware bankok billy cart brigade.
Start a build thread..after all, with your background, you'd nail it. (y) (y)
Agreed. The money spent turning it over could buy a DIDO LS or Bazza convo.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
My heart says to keep it, but I've also got to be practical. I can't see the value in putting too much money into a vehicle that's almost 23 years old with 230k km on the clock, especially an engine conversion. It's still on the original clutch, also I've noticed a bit of a whine that I think is coming from the rear diff & the drivers seat needs replacing as well.
The only safety feature is a single drivers airbag, not even ABS. As we're getting older we don't bounce like we did when younger, so even a moderate accident is going to hurt a lot more than in a modern vehicle with all the safety features. It doesn't even have cruise control, which I think is almost a necessity for highway driving with the way speed limits are enforced these days.
I'm also thinking of getting a small off road camper of some sort & the 2.8 limits me to something pretty light.
I won't be doing anything until early next year, so got a while to work out what to do.

241 - 260 of 284 Posts