Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
261 - 280 of 284 Posts

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,518 Posts
My heart says to keep it, but I've also got to be practical. I can't see the value in putting too much money into a vehicle that's almost 23 years old with 230k km on the clock, especially an engine conversion. It's still on the original clutch, also I've noticed a bit of a whine that I think is coming from the rear diff & the drivers seat needs replacing as well.
The only safety feature is a single drivers airbag, not even ABS. As we're getting older we don't bounce like we did when younger, so even a moderate accident is going to hurt a lot more than in a modern vehicle with all the safety features. It doesn't even have cruise control, which I think is almost a necessity for highway driving with the way speed limits are enforced these days.
I'm also thinking of getting a small off road camper of some sort & the 2.8 limits me to something pretty light.
I won't be doing anything until early next year, so got a while to work out what to do.
My thoughts exactly. I couldn't see the sense in spending $10000 on a 15yr old car with 365000klms+ on the clock, when all of the running gear would need replacing also and then get stuff all for it when you need another one.

Yeah I loved my Patrol but for FFS, my ute is cheaper to run, turning circle and ride is better also.

Foo

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
839 Posts
Something from Nissan which is sliding under the radar. Once you get into the details, it’s very interesting.

I think this Navara is interesting because for most touring/off-road folk, you could drive it straight off the lot. genuine lift, significantly larger tyres, wider track etc. Bullbar, bashplates and a few other “must have” mods are all fitted from factory. Which means factory level finish/integration, factory warranty on everything, and also the cost is all built in already which is particularly good for finance.
the “nice to have” mods are all there too of course.

it’s a genuine off-road version of a dual cab, not like the tarted up crap like a ranger wildtrak or a hilux rugged/rogue whatever they call it.

In a weird way, it’s only competition to me is the ranger raptor. Except the raptor is more expensive and you still need to fork out for all your mandatory touring mods like bullbar etc.

Good that it’s supporting quite a lot of Aussie manufacturing and jobs too

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Something from Nissan which is sliding under the radar. Once you get into the details, it’s very interesting.

I think this Navara is interesting because for most touring/off-road folk, you could drive it straight off the lot. genuine lift, significantly larger tyres, wider track etc. Bullbar, bashplates and a few other “must have” mods are all fitted from factory. Which means factory level finish/integration, factory warranty on everything, and also the cost is all built in already which is particularly good for finance.

it’s a genuine off-road version of a dual cab, not like the tarted up crap like a ranger wildtrak or a hilux rugged/rogue whatever they call it.

In a weird way, it’s only competition to me is the ranger raptor. Except the raptor is more expensive and you still need to fork out for all your mandatory touring mods like bullbar etc.

That's actually very true, and coming back to @62woollybugger's comment, all the "bolt-on" bits have been engineered from the onset with ALL the OE safety systems in mind, so you can rest assured that it would perform just as good (if not better) than the base vehicle in a crash.

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Don't know why Nissan haven't brought out a wagon version of the Navara, like all the other major brands. A dual cab is no good to me as I can't get a lot of my fishing rods inside or a decent length of timber etc. I can easily fit around 2.4m long things in my ASX, a dual cab would be a step backwards.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,549 Posts

I see a couple of minus points,big ones,IFS,Ineos has gone live front axle to preserve ground clearance and reduce wear/damage components,and the second is the small engine,Kneesahn has better designs to pull from,my 2c

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I reckon something based on the GU or slightly smaller with a V6 version of the Y62 V8 would be great. Based on real world fuel consumption of Y62s, I think a 4.2L V6 in a smaller, lighter vehicle would be good. Other option would be modern versions of RB & RD straight sixes, just like the Grenadier.

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
Don't know why Nissan haven't brought out a wagon version of the Navara, like all the other major brands. A dual cab is no good to me as I can't get a lot of my fishing rods inside or a decent length of timber etc. I can easily fit around 2.4m long things in my ASX, a dual cab would be a step backwards.
They did. It's called the X-Terra. It won't get a 5-star ANCAP rating though, which is why Nissan AUS hasn't brough it out (yet).

I didn't check the price of the Pro-4X Warrior, but I suspect it won't be too far off a Y62 Ti, if you want an SUV... ;)

You are right though. All D/Cabs are always going to be a compromise and in that price bracket I'd probably rather opt for a '62... Or a Granadier... I'm in no rush to replace my Y61, so I can wait for the Granadier early adopters to be the Guinea pigs.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
They did. It's called the X-Terra. It won't get a 5-star ANCAP rating though, which is why Nissan AUS hasn't brough it out (yet.
Funny you should mention this, my neighbour has a work colleague in UAE who has just recently bought a late model second hand one, V6.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
839 Posts
That's interesting. It's not a bad looking little wagon

Looks wise, I think the ford everest sport is the winner of the mid-size wagons right now. What Ford do well (that nissan do not) is release cars like the everest sport without any plastic chrome on them.
It's 2021.... I don't think anyone still likes imitation chrome plastic window trims and door handles do they?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,061 Posts
I'm quite liking the reviews of the new Bronco actually. Wish it were coming here :(

Lol, hope they don't crack like the originals did.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
What Ford do well (that nissan do not) is release cars like the everest sport without any plastic chrome on them.
It's 2021.... I don't think anyone still likes imitation chrome plastic window trims and door handles do they?
That depends very much on the market. Some will never get rid of chrome, others (like AUS) it comes and goes. Unfortunatley for Nissan AUS, Japan and Thailand love their chrome, so we'll always be stuck with some of it, but that's also why nowadays the first thing Nissan AUS do on every special edition, is delete the chrome. The fact that the new Navara Pro-4X hero model has no chrome is an indication that the chrome trend is declining at the moment, but give it 20 years and it'll be back again.

I've never been a fan of chrome BTW, which is why the only chrome left over on my Patrol are the front and rear hamburgers and the PATROL & 3.0 ST badges.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,098 Posts
One thought that popped into my mind... Ineos is making a big deal about how they eliminated electronics as much as possible and how they want to keep it simple to make maintenance in remote areas easier.

I haven't seen anything on safety equipment that nowadays are becomming more commonplace and a "market expectation". Things like Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Warning, etc. etc.

Unfortunately a lot of these type of systems are now mandatory to get a 5-star ANCAP rating, which means the Granadier will most likely NOT be 5-star. I honestly hope Ineos stick to their guns and still bring it to Australia. Unfortunatley due to the bordeline ridiculous OH&S requirements in some industries like mining, that would mean that most fleet buyers would pass it over. I hope for their sake there's enough interest from private buyers to still make it viable in AUS.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
One thought that popped into my mind... Ineos is making a big deal about how they eliminated electronics as much as possible and how they want to keep it simple to make maintenance in remote areas easier.

I haven't seen anything on safety equipment that nowadays are becomming more commonplace and a "market expectation". Things like Auto Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning, Lane Keep Assist, Blind Spot Warning, etc. etc.

Unfortunately a lot of these type of systems are now mandatory to get a 5-star ANCAP rating, which means the Granadier will most likely NOT be 5-star. I honestly hope Ineos stick to their guns and still bring it to Australia. Unfortunatley due to the bordeline ridiculous OH&S requirements in some industries like mining, that would mean that most fleet buyers would pass it over. I hope for their sake there's enough interest from private buyers to still make it viable in AUS.
TBH, I don’t think they’d be aiming at the fleet market. The whole concept would be overkill for most fleet buyers including mining, my impression is that it is mostly aimed at expedition touring and off road market. So long as it is priced at the regular market and not the luxury market it, it should sell. So, hopefully no more dollars than a 200 series, which IMHO is about the most that regular buyers will be prepared to stump up for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Looks like it is coming here All you need to know about the 2022 Ineos Grenadier
If I had the money for a 200 series I'd get a Y62, so this would have to be around Y62 pricing for me to consider it. I'd also be waiting a few years to see if there are any problems.
I went window shopping yesterday & it looks like I'll have to get a seven seater if I get an Everest, MU-X or Pajero Sport. Only the base spec Everest & Pajero are available in five seat option. Mitsubishi dealer didn't even have a P.S. to look at & I'll have a look at the new MU-X when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
839 Posts
Looks like it is coming here All you need to know about the 2022 Ineos Grenadier
If I had the money for a 200 series I'd get a Y62, so this would have to be around Y62 pricing for me to consider it. I'd also be waiting a few years to see if there are any problems.
I went window shopping yesterday & it looks like I'll have to get a seven seater if I get an Everest, MU-X or Pajero Sport. Only the base spec Everest & Pajero are available in five seat option. Mitsubishi dealer didn't even have a P.S. to look at & I'll have a look at the new MU-X when it comes out in a couple of weeks.
the Everest would be my pick. Very refined drive, quiet cabin, strong motor and the only full time 4wd too.
When I was comparing the previous generation, Everest, mux and fortuner, the Everest was able to take larger tyres legally and without modifications. Also the mux didn’t have a factory locker and only a 65L fuel tank. Some of those issues must be addressed in the new mux though.

In terms of too many seats, look at it as an advantage. The Everest already has the highest payload (big factor IMO), and then removing the rear seats nets you even more payload to play with. Would offset the weight of a storage solution

I don’t know anything about pajeros

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,212 Posts
I like the suspension setup , the interior and the looking of the Grenadier, but the BMW m57 or b58 engines worries me. Both these engines have the rear timing chain ......Google it, you will find lots of discussion about that. So after 120,000 to 150,000km it will be a potential time bomb..... Owned 2 BMW before....drives great when new. But anything with the BMW after 100,000km will start to get you problems...unlike Toyota, the resale value drop fast as the car driven more km.....time will tell if it is good or not.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,895 Posts
How about one of these?

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
27,518 Posts
How about one of these?

And how much change out of $500000 would you have? :unsure: :eek: