Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys setting up gauges and looking for ignition and illumination wires to connect to. The gauges are going on the R/H Pillar. Would like a good source for both that i could run to a fuse box for each and connect all my mods to. Have search the internet and way ro much to scan through. Spent hours already. Cheers.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
593 Posts
Hey mate, for my illumination wires, I used one of those fuse taps to suit mini blade fuses you can get from Jaycar and just tapped into an accessories powered circuit in the fuse panel inside the cab. This way the backlighting is on any time the ignition is on accessories whether the headlights are on or not. Unfortunately the power feed for the tail lights is a constant 12v source or I would have used it so they only lit up with lights on. They are only led so don't draw much power anyway.

For the power to the gauges I used a small male crimp terminal and put it straight into the feed on the fuse panel for the ignition on to the rear aircon as mine is a dx and doesn't have it fitted.

I can probably get a couple of photos tomorrow in the daylight to show you if you need me to.

With my d22 I went the hard way of soldering wires together, but I really didn't fancy going through that again with the patrol, so went the easier option.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
For the love of god don't use one of those horrible fuse taps. Leave them in the pile of crap electrical components you get in many cheap supplied looms with the scotch locks.

There are a few places you can splice into for the illumination, like the cigarette lighter.

For power to a fusebox I would run direct power from the battery through a relay with the relay trigger wire coming from an ignition source. There are often a couple of unused plugs with ignition feed under the dash depending on model. Wiring is usually small, hence the heavier wire from battery through relay. I have power to a double sided fusebox with one side live and the other ign triggered through a relay. I found a plug behind the console below the radio in my TD ST ute.

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For the love of god don't use one of those horrible fuse taps. Leave them in the pile of crap electrical components you get in many cheap supplied looms with the scotch locks.

There are a few places you can splice into for the illumination, like the cigarette lighter.

For power to a fusebox I would run direct power from the battery through a relay with the relay trigger wire coming from an ignition source. There are often a couple of unused plugs with ignition feed under the dash depending on model. Wiring is usually small, hence the heavier wire from battery through relay. I have power to a double sided fusebox with one side live and the other ign triggered through a relay. I found a plug behind the console below the radio in my TD ST ute.
Thanks have pulled the panel for the lighter and will use the wires there to set up relay and lighting. Have already rang h/duty wire direct from battery to new in cab fusebox. There is a spare plug there as well. Wires are very light on so stick with cig lighter for both. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
If you are going to trigger through a relay then it doesn't matter how light the trigger wire is. Easier to take source off an unused plug than splice into an already utilized wire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts