Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of making myself a killswitch to help keep my pride and joy safe, has anyone done this before? I've seen one where a guitar jack was used as a socket and they plugged a 3.5mm jack converter into it and it sorta bridged the connection, anyone heard of it? if not, would a momentary push button work as i turned the key? what wire would i splice into to only affect the crank?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The best thing to isolate in my opinion is the starter solenoid.
Put a bridge in it to a switch and mount it outside the rig somewhere like behind the grille or something, that way if someone breaks into it then they wont even be able to get it to turn over as hotwiring a coil if a car cranks is pretty piss easy.
Plus if it's outside the rig then they will look as hard as they can to try and find it inside only to no avail. the longer you can hold a thief up for the more chance they have of getting busted, so they will just p!ss off cause it's to hard.
It worked wicked on my 2 V8 commys and the 454BBC 1 tonner back in the day! saved them more than once!

Steve.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats probably what i'll do, was reading up on the guitar jack...

To stop theft of a Ford Capri I owned I wired the coil to distributor wire to a Jack Plug socket mounted in the dash and used a jack plug wired as a loop to make the circuit.
Simply removing the jack plug prevented the car from being started. Ford locks in those days were rubbish and theft of cars was a big problem.
I know for certain my set up defeated someone after finding my car doors unlocked and the battery flat from some tealeaf cranking it over till he flattened the battery.
Jackplug fitted and jump start was less inconvenient than loosing the car.
could i put one of those plugs onto my starter solenoid, where would i get one and would it handle the amount of power running through it? would it also be possible to mount a flashing pilot light on the dash to make it look like an immobiliser is installed?

·
Registered
284 Posts
On a mates GQ we bridge the starter solenoid with a push button, and made it obvious on the dash so it
looks like a normal swith that could be for spotties or anything else.
If you dont hold the switch and turn the key the truck wont start.

Pep

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ialso bridged the starter solenoid than put a second hand wiper switch in one of the blanks, if anyone had to look for the switch they couldnt tell the difference and most important thing of all you can switch it on and off without anyone seeing you

·
Registered
543 Posts
On a mates very nice UC Torana I wired in an old foot operated dipper switch under the carpet high up under dash, you couldn't see it as it was under the carpet and you had to feel the button with your feet. He used it all the time, no one ever tried to flog it so it wasn't put to the test.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
3,667 Posts
The best thing to isolate in my opinion is the starter solenoid.
Put a bridge in it to a switch and mount it outside the rig somewhere like behind the grille or something, that way if someone breaks into it then they wont even be able to get it to turn over as hotwiring a coil if a car cranks is pretty piss easy.
Plus if it's outside the rig then they will look as hard as they can to try and find it inside only to no avail. the longer you can hold a thief up for the more chance they have of getting busted, so they will just p!ss off cause it's to hard.
It worked wicked on my 2 V8 commys and the 454BBC 1 tonner back in the day! saved them more than once!

Steve.
But apparently (so correct me if i'm wrong)...if the starter motor wire has a switch enabled on it the vehicle can still be push started, was told that by an auto sparky.

·
3,667 Posts
Ialso bridged the starter solenoid than put a second hand wiper switch in one of the blanks, if anyone had to look for the switch they couldnt tell the difference and most important thing of all you can switch it on and off without anyone seeing you
Thats a biggie I reckon...being able to hit the switch without it being obvious.
A sparky said to me that they fit a lot of switches under the bonnet as not many would look there :rolleyes:.

Probably right but that means lifting the bonnet (which would be seen) in any time of bad weather and/or swmbo having to fluff around hoisting the bonnet to hit the switch in a dark or dodgy car park...sounds like a stupid idea to me.

·
3,667 Posts
The fuseable link is another good idea except when I removed mine to test the theory the stereo had wiped all the radio stations and settings and went back to default :roll:.

·
Registered
694 Posts
U can use any existing switch on your dash or a combination of more than one, or you can add a new switch.
I would cut the spark, starter and fuel supply with three relays.
You could use one switch for simplicity or multiple switches to make it more complex for the thief.
I wired one up so it wont start unless the rear demister was switched on.
There are plenty existing switches in the car that you could use.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One trick I used before I went to diesel was just a switch in the coil earth, can't remember where I put the switch now, but there is no switching of high voltage or + volts. It just appears that the car is flooded or has some other problem because it still turns over, just won't start. Very simple wiring, no relays and if something goes wrong simple to fix.
Regards

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
On my old MQ diesel i had there was a switch (hidin)
If it was turned of , you could leave the keys in the ignition , wont matter
Wont even turn over,nuthin at all
The later cars with electric fuel pumps are good,run a switch in the fuel pump wire feed line
No fuel no start (well will run till its outta fuel)
There are big switches you can get on evilbay,without the large key to activate the power no go
There are many different devices ,styles to use
But i wouldnt really be posting them up on a public forum

Which cars yours again,hows the switch work again ???
Get what im saying

·
3,667 Posts
On my old MQ diesel i had there was a switch (hidin)
If it was turned of , you could leave the keys in the ignition , wont matter
Wont even turn over,nuthin at all
The later cars with electric fuel pumps are good,run a switch in the fuel pump wire feed line
No fuel no start (well will run till its outta fuel)
There are big switches you can get on evilbay,without the large key to activate the power no go
There are many different devices ,styles to use
But i wouldnt really be posting them up on a public forum

Which cars yours again,hows the switch work again ???
Get what im saying
Agree totally, I made mention of how to do this in a recent thread but said saying how on the internet wasn't the best idea.....I got SO many pm's LOL. I'm now at the stage if anyone asks then i'm reluctant to say...just don't know who is surfing the site eh!
Way too many threads about stolen gear even here in NZ on the local forum.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
Hi,

Any work you do like this do VERY well. You don't want to be overtaking a semi with another coming and have a loose connection stop the engine. A flashing red Led on the dash is not a bad idea, but you are better to stop the engine rather than stop it cranking. A bit of wire from the battery and it starts.

The crooks that don't get caught arn't stupid, if you have a tacho and the engine wont start see if the tacho moves, if not the ignition is disabled. I took an alarm out of a 4x, wouldn't start after and it and took about a minute to find the cause. ( I fitted a 2nd battery )

There was a circuit from EA ( Electronics Australia ) some time ago, which would stop a points ignition after a short time. The good thing is about this type is if your car is in a garage / backyard when it starts they are gone. With this they get to the street and will probably leave it. On newer engines you can hide a key-switch that will turn off the fuel pump. ( or relay ) If you put this in a hard to see / get to place it will work well as long as you cut the power where it cant be seen. A new wire to the fuel pump is a bit obvious.

Regards B M

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
A simple kill switch on dual fitt fuel vehicles (lpg / Petrol) is to flick the fuel slector switch to the middle position. it will slow people down if they have not used vehicles with dual fuel.

The vehile will start and run for around 30 seconds if the vehicle had been runnng on petrol.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
A simple kill switch on dual fitt fuel vehicles (lpg / Petrol) is to flick the fuel slector switch to the middle position. it will slow people down if they have not used vehicles with dual fuel.

The vehile will start and run for around 30 seconds if the vehicle had been runnng on petrol.

Lol Good idea im fitting a fusion car alarm to mine in the next few weeks but will still use that idea

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
There was a thread recently along these lines

Even if the car is immobilized,the mongrels have smashed a window,or door lock to get in
Had a bit of play here and there,broken more stuff
Either got away with the car,if not kick the doors in or burn it ect

We can only illiminate the common thief,the pros know there way around most things

Even alarms goin of doesnt grab peoples attention nowadays,they look the other way

We have to stop the cars from being moved at all

Electric dizzys are another great place for a kill switch

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Fellas. one method I have used in the past is a fuel cut off solenoid from a duel fuel system in the fuel line under the car wired into the rear window demister switch on the dash - the demisters are crap anyway so I didn't miss it. What thief ever uses the rear windscreen demister? Cheers, Derb.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts