Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my bull bar, which has a high mount warn winch.

It was defected by Mansfield Highway Patrol on 6th of June this year.

In order to clear the defect notice a Road Worthy is required. I tried very hard to explain that this bull bar was manufactured before new standards, VSI 1 and ADR 4876, came into being.

However the RWC technician wouldn't listen, and Vicroads ask me to talk to a VASS engineer, but a VASS engineer said it doesn't need a certification.

Now I am running out of ideas. I love it and it is not easy to find a bullbar to mount a high mount warn winch.

Any suggestion guys?

bulbar.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW, I have talked to TJM guys in Queensland headquarter, and they have no documentation to prove that this bar was manufactured before the new legislation came in to power.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Jing, when did the VSI 1 and ADR 4876 come into effect? Maybe a stat dec from me stating I bought the bar before they came into effect might work?

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Vicroads ask me to talk to a VASS engineer, but a VASS engineer said it doesn't need a certification.
Get that in writing and you should be cool?

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alex: I am not sure. I got a email from TJM, which says the bar was made before VSI 1 (2009) and ADR 4876 (2002) but didn't help.

I have removed HID, air horn, gauges and etc, now I am free to drive my GQ.

I have put a horrible looking bar like this to pass the road worthy, but I don't want to keep it like this for ever.

bulbar-alloy.jpg

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Get that in writing and you should be cool?
No, RWC guys only check their own paperwork, ADRs for instance, to approve things.

What engineer says will only affect what they approve, in my case, which are the turbo charger with IC, the seats and the suspension lift.

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
I have been talking to vic roads today about my rear quarter chop and my custom front and rear bars. Went through vsi 1, vsi 8 and vsb 14. The whole things a load of bs that goes around in circles. I read everything on modifications not requiring certification. You can make you own bars, do body modifications as long as it follows the Australian design rules and does not affect any of the cars other ADR's.

BUT. When I spoke to vicroad, the guy said there is a line in the requirments that says,
"Any modification done that doesn't need certification must be done to an engineering standard"

It's redicules, looking at the bull bar requirments and guide lines, they are to be made so they are pedestrian safe. If the bar leans back and you hit someone they are more likely to go through the windscreen, but if the bar leans forward it will tend to send the victim under the car causing injury or death.

Very frustrating.

·
Registered
nissan
806 Posts
My TJM High Mount bar

How would this TJM High Mount bar go in Mansfield
It's around a 1991 vintage TJM High Mount bar
Put on there by TJM for the QLD Goverment Dept of Lands
It was on there when i bought the vehicle along with the winch

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
91shorty, yours is exactly my one. You'd better steering clear of Mansfield.

·
Registered
nissan
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Whats actually wrong with it? The fact it points forward? Every second GQ has an ARB or TJM bar like these....
Search for Australia/NZ standard 4876, you will find pictures showing what is acceptable, what is not.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
There is a very concerning trend about Mansfield. I thought it was just hearsay, but I'm starting to wonder. This is BS. I've heard the stories behind it, but it is harrassment as far as I'm concerned. Will be staying away from there that's for sure. Then again that's probably what the authorities want.:mad:

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
There is a very concerning trend about Mansfield. I thought it was just hearsay, but I'm starting to wonder. This is BS. I've heard the stories behind it, but it is harrassment as far as I'm concerned. Will be staying away from there that's for sure. Then again that's probably what the authorities want.:mad:
Yeah you better believe it, slightly out of control. Some times I wish I had a drug addiction instead of an offroad habit, that way I could rob old ladies at the ATM and sit at home smoking ice or what ever there on with out risk, instead of being active with other like minded people that work to earn their gear to go play with there pride and joy in this beautiful country.

Hows this though couple of months ago 7 blokes got stuck out bush in 3 4WD's up in that region, I went out with another bloke whom was a friend of friends with these blokes. They had put out a small search party and had a chopper looking for them as well. This bloke had been in contact with the mansfield coppers and told them we were heading up to look for them, they said they would give us a free run, "that we wouldn't be harassed", and would inform the other coppers.

·
Registered
Nissan
7,067 Posts
Yeah you better believe it, slightly out of control. Some times I wish I had a drug addiction instead of an offroad habit, that way I could rob old ladies at the ATM and sit at home smoking ice or what ever there on with out risk, instead of being active with other like minded people that work to earn their gear to go play with there pride and joy in this beautiful country.

Hows this though couple of months ago 7 blokes got stuck out bush in 3 4WD's up in that region, I went out with another bloke whom was a friend of friends with these blokes. They had put out a small search party and had a chopper looking for them as well. This bloke had been in contact with the mansfield coppers and told them we were heading up to look for them, they said they would give us a free run, "that we wouldn't be harassed", and would inform the other coppers.
Thats ****ed!!!

·
Registered
nissan
4,831 Posts
Bullbars and pedestrians is the biggest crock of shyte ever!
If I hit you at 50kph with the front of my 4wd and no bar you be seriously flucked up just as much if I hit you with a bullbar! The average 4wd even with no lift sits with top of bonnet above waist height you will more than likely end up under car.

And as Sqalo said ARHHHH MY EYES!

Move the mafia into mansfield I'll donate for the"right" cause :)

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,314 Posts
Thank Harold f'n Scruby of pedestrian council fame. Serial pest, publicity hound and hypocritical pita. :X

1 - 20 of 55 Posts