Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Need some advice please.

I have a GUIII 2002 model with the 3L engine. Coming back from a weekend camping today I heard what sounded like a cat from the engine bay... only in higher gears (3+) and only when I put some right foot in (not even much) at 70K +. Was towing 1.2T camper at the time. When I took the camper off, no noise present.

Have searched here and elsewhere and the collective wisdom seems to be turbo on way out or very very nearly about to go.

Any other thoughts? I was hoping for something a bit cheaper to fix than replace a turbo...

Thoughts please?

Mac

·
Registered
57 Posts
Imminent Turbo Failure

Hey mate,

what you might be hearing is a leak around the exhaust manifold due to a leaking gasket. Have a look for tell-tale soot marks around the leak.
Let us know what you find?

Patrol3L

·
ZD30 Out - L77 In!
nissan patrol
3,346 Posts
I’m thinking more along the lines of a leaking EGR valve. Make sure the EGR valve isn’t loose or leaking at its flange. Blocking it may be worth a try.

The EGR valve opens at the times you say it’s making the noise.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just to let you know - car is currently @ West End Diesel. Will keep you posted. They have found the intercooler is leaking, but have not found source of issue yet.

Typically, the blasted thing wouldn't do the noise when I had the guy in the car nor when they had it on the Dyno under load... But I swear I heard it!

Will advise outcome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was leaking intercooler - sure didn't sound like that... but that's what it was. Get the car back Saturday, mostly because I cannot get to them to pick it up today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
Mines got a stack of holes in it from the cover over it rubbing through it, bit annoying actually.

Crosscountry informed me my new intercooler is in the mail so im hoping for some power improvements.

Cheers Wayne

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeah - I asked about going aftermarket/upgrade and was told "great idea, but various settings need to be adjusted, and to do that you need to have chip in that can be reprogrammed. If you dont do the preprogramming you can get overboost and other issues".

With the chip being approx $2500... as you can imagine, I got the recore done with a stronger core...

The dyno run showed mine producing fairly good torque and power curves, so was fairly happy to put the same back on.

EDIT - just seen that you have a chip, so it makes sense for you to get the reprogram done with the new intercooler.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
nissan patrol
1,640 Posts
lol

If benno says its wrong, its wrong. I too would like to hear why though

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
no need to chip it due to changing the intercooler.
changing intercooler won't cause overboost and chipping won't fix overboost.
they are full of **** and are trying to get another sale out of you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok - anybody care to go into a little more detail?

What could the workshop be referring to? Lets remember this is quite a well known workshop, so while I accept that there are more knowledgeable people out there than me, I would have put these guys near the top of the list.

Why are they wrong please?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
all that changing to a better IC does is cool the air better. that can increase airflow a bit (because the air is denser you can fill the cylinder a bit more) but its not a big amount. certainly not enough for the turbo to overboost.
over boosting is generally caused by EGR being blocked, turbo vanes sticking or MAF failure (ecu controls turbo incorrectly).

also most chips do not control the turbo (none for that engine that i know of). all they do is add extra fuel (maybe tweak the timing a bit to). so a chip would increase exhaust gas (because of the extra fuel) which gives more push on the turbo so is more likely to cause overboost rather than prevent it.
chipping is solely to make more power, its doesn't do anything to help save the motor.
i'm not aware anyone can actually rewrite the software in the ECU anyway. all chips for these are external addons.

only real way to stop the turbo overboosting is take away control of the turbo from the ecu (eg dawes valve).

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
honestly ask them the name of this chip??? many of us would not mind knowing, the only thing that i could see is perhaps a difference in pressure or less force on the outlet side of a different type of intercooler perhaps giving you less power but personally i do think that it may be a little extra on the side for them... and your turbo shouldnt overboost if your wastegate is working properly

·
Registered
nissan
1,335 Posts
I would highly recommend the crosscountry cooler. I fit mine yesterday and they are a nice piece of gear, same price as nissan but twice the size with a fan attached.
What they told you is garbage, after dropping it in 5 days ago to west end diesel hopefully you havent fit one yet.
BTW their is a 3 - 4 week wait on the cc coolers.

Cheers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would highly recommend the crosscountry cooler. I fit mine yesterday and they are a nice piece of gear, same price as nissan but twice the size with a fan attached.
What they told you is garbage, after dropping it in 5 days ago to west end diesel hopefully you havent fit one yet.
BTW their is a 3 - 4 week wait on the cc coolers.

Cheers.
Hi Nutta,

I have the car back now, with a repaired IC (same tanks, new/better core). Unfortunately not bigger. Yes - I was eying off the crosscountry IC too...
West end didn't do the IC work them selves; they sent it away for pressure testing, got told it failed, and had it repaired. Yes they did keep me informed throughout.

Like I said, I asked - he should know more then me so I took his advice. was 870 for the IC to be recored. The crosscountry is 1250-odd with a 3 week wait - I couldn't be without the car that long...

Unless someone wants to buy a recored nissan IC from me? ;-)

Mac

1 - 19 of 19 Posts