Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas one of the interesting things about my current project build up is this time I've been able to buy new gear and see how it wears over time. Its been two decades for me in this hobby but I havent had the budget till now to buy a new 4wd with new accessories and go from there.

So I was kinda surprised about how much maintenance winches need. I have a Warn M12000 winch. I look after it. Keep the cable nice and so on. Its now two years old. I can think of only one single occasion where the winch was in muddy water for a period of time - I'd say 30 minutes or so.

So anyway cos the winch is the sort of gear you need it to work, and it just cant fail, I decided to get the winch serviced. Heres what was found:

1. Winch still full of muddy water two weeks later
2. Mud and crud all through the planetary gearsets and so on
3. Two bearings holding the main shaft had seized

Basically it required a thorough rebuild and two new bearings

I'm dam glad I got it serviced now I never thought it would be that bad

Anyway its food for thought for me, just one incident and it did this.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
Its a warn thing i had the same trouble with both my warns they just don't seal them.
Both my front and rear chinese winches are still good after many dunkings.
I recently stripped my ridge rider winch and not an ounce of dirt in it.very well sealed. All i found was 1 dry bearing on the shaft between the planetary set and motor.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
My 20 yr old highmount spent about 1/2 hour under water one weekend, I stripped it about 3 weeks later and there was only a few drops of condensation in the motor and the oil was clean, I changed it anyway, was clean fresh water though.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
This is the one i have on the front. Can't believe how well its sealed. one issue was dirt under the gear leaver stopping full engagement but easily sorted.

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
i have the xtm (bcf one) 1200 pound $500 been there for two and a half years, used it heaps and all i do is run it in and out a couple of times once a month.

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Have a Warn Winch on my ute and noticed the last time I used it the brake didn't hold.
Pulled it apart to service it and found that water had entered at some time and not drained away leaving a tide mark.
Closer inspection revealed that when it had been originally assembled (have had the ute from new with winch fitted) the end covers had been incorrectly assembled with the drain holes at the top.:roll:
Something worth checking, if one was assembled wrong there's bound to be more.
Managed to clean/lubricate and back to working as it should.

Cheers
Peter

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Any good installer either knows factory GU bars mount the winch upside down or checks to see where the drainage holes are.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
X2

That's not an assembly fault of the winch it's a fitting fault from failure to give a chit about someone else's car and winch.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
The warn on my daily and the one on my race rig i have fully sealed the motors with rtv and drilled and tapped a one touch fitting in. than just run the breather into the engine bay.
They spend alot of time in water and never had an issue.
Dont trust the factory seals

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,662 Posts
Put my winch on 10 years ago. Haven't looked insidet it since. Probably should have a look one day.

·
Registered
nissangqpatrol
267 Posts
X2 what Hally 76 said.
Did same thing (warn), got a pro to rebuild mine too. No water ingress at all and condensation has vanished with the breather hoses added. fully sealed now. Love it.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Ive had a tigerz11 on the front of my gu for years. It works everytime and its been through some pretty ordinary situations.

Last time i looked inside it was clean as.

I still dont get why people buy warns and have to service them so much? But im sure they will justify it somehow...

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
X2

That's not an assembly fault of the winch it's a fitting fault from failure to give a chit about someone else's car and winch.
Help me understand please Lee. Can I be mounted in either direction? So I just get under it in my garage crawler, unbolt it, flip it, and bolt it back up so the holes drain via gravity? Or does it need to be pulled apart and assembled in another way??

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
Help me understand please Lee. Can I be mounted in either direction? So I just get under it in my garage crawler, unbolt it, flip it, and bolt it back up so the holes drain via gravity? Or does it need to be pulled apart and assembled in another way??
It's generally only the genuine Nissan bars; they have the winch mounted upside down. There was a huge chitfight years ago; Nissan wanted warranty for warn for heaps of failures, warn said blow it out your arse we never asked you to mount the fkn things upside down. Standard they have two drain holes, at 3 o'clock and 6 o'clock. One is downwards if mounted feet against the bullbar, like most Australian built or specified bullbars, and the other is downwards if winch is mounted feet down like most US made or specified bars. Either way, one points down.

If winch is mounted upside down (ie gearbox and motor are opposite sides to normal and cable rolls off top instead of bottom) then the two holes are then at 12 o'clock and 9 oclock. Basically 9 oclock becomes the filler height. The drains are in the end plate, not the actual motor, so spinning the motor won't help in this instance.

The minimum solution is to die grind a new drain in the end plate at the bottom, and silicon up the other two. Quick and easy when winch is fitted, and solves the whole issue. Hope that description makes sense.

Reactions: nullack

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
The drains are in the end plate, not the actual motor, so spinning the motor won't help in this instance.
I guess it might depend on the winch. I'm pretty sure that my Premier winch has the drain on the motor housing and can be turned to face down.

Cheers,

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
I guess it might depend on the winch. I'm pretty sure that my Premier winch has the drain on the motor housing and can be turned to face down.

Cheers,
Yeah sorry mate I was referring to the XD9000 Warn that Nissan often supplied, and they had the blue with Warn regarding warranty as they didn't rectify the issue of the drain becoming a filler when they mounted the winch upside down. Nissan got right up ARB since they made the 'genuine' bars for the vehicles too.

·
Y61=WIN
nissan
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone. Since I have a warn m12000 in an arb bar, I had a good look and it seems to me it can only be mounted one way and Im going to have to modify the housing with new drain holes and seal up the original ones. It doesnt seem a matter of just poor installation. Or am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts