Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Canadians,

I'm a BC native living in El Salvador and I don't believe I had ever seen a Patrol before moving here! I think they're kickass and I'm looking at buying a Y60 down here to eventually drive back to Canada. Who here has brought one in from overseas (or down south)? How hard was it? I know a Y60 would be older that 15yrs, but what other requirements were there? I've emailed the Gov't and I'm awaiting a reply...

Cheers,

cl

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
I have imported several Y60 Safaris from Japan, 1 Patrol from Germany and another German Patrol from the US but was still German registered before I got it. Ask anything. It's not difficult.

Do post up what is available. We can buy 2 and convoy back!

·
Registered
nissan
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still about 18 months away from being able to come back to Canada, so I've got loads of time, but I don't want to drive all the way then get an ugly surprise at the border. From what I've read, older vehicles (15+ yrs) are pretty much exempt from restrictions, but the gov't says to 'contact them' rather than give specifics.

Are there any aircare restrictions? Do I need to get daytime running lights set up? Will I need to determine place of manufacture and obtain any documentation proving it meets safety specs? Or will they know if it is ok by make/model/year?

Basically, is the onus on me to prove it's roadworthy or on them to prove it's not?

Thanks

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
Here's the one I was looking at but didn't end up getting. I'm watching the market now.

nissan patrol 93 diesel - Cojutepeque - Autos
It looks like it is in decent condition.

Any vehicle being newly registered into any Canadian province or territory will need to pass a territorial or provincial vehicle inspection. Most of them base their minimum safety requirements on Transport Canada's regulations.

You will have to show documentation that you are the legal owner. That may require the documentation be translated by a recognized legal authority - such as a notary public/lawyer. I recommend you tell people where you plan to register the vehicle and then go from there.

It really is a two step process. One is the importation of the vehicle into Canada - which is federal and done at the border. The other is registering the vehicle which is done by the territory or province you will live in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts