Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping a Canadian can help me with this one. I've head that imports need to be at least 15 years old to get into Canada for road use, however i've had a couple of friends get them in from the USA - i'm guessing there is some sort of trade agreement with the US in play here.

I'm going to be moving the Canada in the next 2 years - fiancée and i just saving up the cash at the moment. Is there any way i'd be able to get my '05 Patrol in (Aussie RHD one). Or even get one down to Aus from Japan that's LHD - i have friends who can get them very cheap at auction over there - to transfer parts over from my patrol then import to Canada?

·
naturally asthmatic
4,387 Posts
If you are immigrating, you are out of luck. If you are coming here on a temp work visa or student visa, etc, then you can have it here for the duration of your visa. Importation of vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States - Transport Canada My recommendation is to buy the nicest GQ you can find and sell the GU.

Technically speaking, it is almost impossible to get anything newer than 25 years old into the US. There are some that do get them in but they have to pass US crash testing and EPA regs. That is not to say it hasn't been done. The local Nissan dealership was importing Skylines into the US through some sort of loop hole until the loop hole got closed and the **** hit the fan. Abbotsford dealers are not the brightest but have no problem breaking the law for money. A case in point would be another local dealership owner who was involved in importing drugs to Australia in computer equipment.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,775 Posts
however i've had a couple of friends get them in from the USA - i'm guessing there is some sort of trade agreement with the US in play here.
In addition to what Canuck stated;
you can import anything 15 years old to the month.
your friends may have imported through the RIV program which does not include Patrols in any make model or year.
we have been importing RHD Y60 Safaris under the 15 year rule for a few years now.

Or even get one down to Aus from Japan that's LHD
Please explain in more detail.

Cheers,
Paul

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm ok thanks for the info guys! I guess i'll try to find something suitable locally - you guys really have a crappy selection of 4wd's i must say :(.

In regards to the Left Hand Drive comment, i was thinking perhaps it was the right hand drive that was the problem. So getting a left hand drive patrol might have been an option. Oh well.

We'll be going over on the working holiday program (2yrs visa, renewable until you turn 31). I guess we could take the Patrol up there for the visa period until we get citizenship. Not sure it's worth the expense for a couple of years of use though, considering it will have to be sent back to Australia in the end.

·
Registered
98 Posts
He may be showing off his trucks but I'm a little disappointed at the size of the tree you put on top. That big new rack and a tiny littler tree.

I think you might be do to view Christmas Vacation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts