Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok where to start.. first of all hi:D first time posting on here, only found the site a couple of days ago and have learnt soo much already, but am still by any means well educated, that is why im posting :). i have many questions to ask but i think i will just stick with a few for now.

i have just recently bought my first patrol about two or three weeks ago and just recently i found that the steering would violently wobble around 60km/h, before you add anyhting to this, i took it to bobjane here in karratha and found that the steering damper if rooted, and apparently the draglink is worn too?(how do you tell)also the front shocks are worn(apparently, i havent really looked at them too closely to see if they are leaking?) and i have one bent leaf on the front passengers side plus worn bushes.. ok its been used i dont mind at all.. thats what theyre for right?

now, im thinking of buying the gear off the net and doing it at home(with some help) for the damper i have read about the rtc not being too reliable? is this correct? i was thinking of something along the lines of a efs one?
as for the shocks being worn, i was thinking of just replacing all four at the one time, then i know that i wont need to do the back anytime soon in the future?

oh i think i should say what the car is and leave it at that for now?
its a 94' gq td42, 4leaf springs, no steering damper haha, pretty sure it ahs a 2" lift and it has 33" wranglers which have been balanced four times in the last week :(..

any advice would be muchly appreciated, thanks in advance.

·
Banned
nissan
189 Posts
sorry dude ive got an ironman big bore damper it works great, you might as well do all 4shockies at once and welcome to the forum.
cheers Rhys

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats cool mate.. this is prolly a silly question, will it fit on mine? i know alot of specs say that after 89 or whatever the steering damper is pin-pin, but i have an eye to eye one.. thats what im planning on doing, at least i know they are all good then hey.. just got to find what shockies i want now? thanks

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Your suspension problems read like a horror story. From your description you need to put a complete suspension kit & rubber bushes all round. There are some businesses on this forum that would be a good place to start, they have prices available at the tap of a key.

Kev

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering wether I should put a whole new suspension setup on there, just not sure which one. Iv read a few good. Reviews on efs shocks. My problem is because of my location it is very difficult to get a wide variety of products, plus iv got to wait for the stuff they do have here. I'm thinking of getting the equipment off superior or similar. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Suspension Stuff in Springwood south of Brissie has all the gear and knowledge and ships same day for free to anywhere in Australia. Have a gander at their web site and then give them a call. You have also mentioned Superior Engineering who are great and also ship their stuff as well.
I'm sure you'll get many more opinions from very knowledgable guys on this forum but as mentioned I would be looking at a complete suspension kit and fix the old girl up properly the first time. You'll love it.
Goodluck.

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks mate, I would love to do the whole suspension again, do kits cone with leafs shocks bushes ect? Also not sure which set too get yet? I would really love to get it done as soon as possible so I can actually go driving :). I am in the process now of looking through both those sites.
If anyone has anysuggestions or personal experiences with their kits I would love to hear them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol swb gq
200 Posts
Have a peak in the Suspension thread section in this web site there is **** loads of info there. The companies mentioned earlier in this thread offer everything you will require to do the full suspension job including the bushes. Most go with a 2inch lift so as to keep costs and parts to a minimum but the skys the limit with this sort of thing. All depends what you want out of it. Quite a few guys swear by Dobinson springs and I've heard their shocks are quite good also. There's a million and one brands out there but you hear the same few mentioned all the time as a preference.
Cheers.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Have you looked locally yet? Found this one easily

Karratha Suspension Centre

998 Coolawanyah Rd, Karratha, WA 6714
Far North WA, Pilbara
p: (08) 9144 4571

and apparently the draglink is worn too?(how do you tell)
The rod ends at each end of the draglink will be sloppy.

94 gq wagon doesnt have leaf springs some utes had rear leafs
Earlier utes had an all leaf option. The very first GQ utes were all leaf.

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,848 Posts
I'm concerned... no GQ had front leaves that i know of...

Sure you've not been ripped? Can't find your pics...

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tractor88, I will have abit more of a look throughout that thread to see what I can find. I think I will most likely just stick with a 2" for now.
Sudso, I have only been to one place locally so far they only stock tough dog gear, am yet to check anywhere else, there is a small problem of thing being over priced quite often, most things, I will go and check them out today hopefully?ok well the drag link is going then, what is the bar directly in front of the front diff? Because that has some play in it swell when you wiggle it with your hand. Maybe mine had the leaf option cos there is no coils :( wish there was, would a much better ride.
I'm pretty sure thy rotated my tyres when I did my last wheel balance and alignment? Not 100%sure though?

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Really, now you've got me worried. I will double check when I get home on the compliance plate. I hope I didn't get ripped. Il be pissed if I did. I will try and post some when I get home

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Willy, if you do have an all leaf spring ute and decide to redo the suspension, have a good think about what you are going to do with it. I have one and when i replaced the springs I went for fairly heavy spring packs because I had a steel bullbar, winch, extra fuel tank and was carrying lots of touring gear. The springs were OK when the ute was loaded up but when it's empty it'd shake your fillings out on any sort of road. If I was doing it again I'd go for much softer springs. My 2 bob's worth!

Good luck with it - tough old truck!

·
Registered
134 Posts
My brother has a 1998 GQ ute leaf all round; huge diffs (physical size), shorter stouter gear lever.

all round these are the toughest GQ's. I ve seen him demolish and destroy anything in its path and it still goes strong. he doesnt drive it often only 200K km and he bought it in 1999.
has winch, steel bar, steel tray and makes the average gq look like a hyundai.

if you want a ute that can do the hard work the leaf spring utes are incredibly tough.

a bulldozer in a GQ ute body shell.

check em out for your self they are the toughest of GQ's

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok so i just got home and went straight to the car to see what was on the compliance plate, and it has 10/94 td42 Y60, not gq, i know this is prolly a stupid question, but are they the same or diff, i was told it was a gq when i bought it >(.. i hope i didnt get riped off??
thanks for the heads up burraboy, i will certainly keep that in mind, it is a little stiff at the moment too. oh and there are 4 leafs and no coils under there too, it is prolly i little too late to go looking for parts at the moment so will do it when i get some time..

·
Registered
gq nissan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

these are all the pics i have so far, i will try and get some pics of the nderside of the car to help clear some things up for everyone.. just got to wait for it to stop raining.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts