Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most reverent thoughts of appreciation to those who have gone before us and sacrificed so that we may enjoy the freedoms that I know I all too often take for granted.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
21,635 Posts
The population of Australia was less than five million. 416,000 enlisted, 350,000 went overseas, 60,000 were killed. It was a disaster. I hope it never happens again.

It was called 'The War To End All Wars' but it didn't. You see the war memorials in every little (and big) town in Australia. It makes me sad and I try not to think about it.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
6 of my family enlisted in WW1 (that I know of). 4 went to Gallipoli : 1 dead. The rest went to Palestine and France. I dead 3 wounded. Lost an uncle on the Burma-Thai railway WW2.

I figure this would be fairly representative for that generation.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
A photo I took in the Nambour War Memorial yesterday. There's a sad story in the names and dates.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
I also lost a lot of family in the WWI, and from all accounts a couple were exceptional men who it would have been a pleasure and a privileged to have known and grown up around if they had survived.

We should hope that we never see an event that is as devastating, stupid and completely wasteful as WWI was again.

However, given the nature of human folly I will not hold my breath on that score.

Lest we forget...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts