Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

first of, i have a IRONMAN 12000LBS MONSTERWINCH hangin of my bar.

died about 2 months ago.. 2 years old.
yesterday i decided to pull the thing of my bar and strip it to see what happened to it.
gearbox..still good, lotsa grease and no water in it...
pulled the motor apart, full of rust! and a broken spring on one of the brushes so not makin any contact.
NOT in a very good mood i took pictures of it all and send an e-mail to tech. department at their head office.
did not think i'd hear anything but tried anyway.
today, to my surprise i got a call at 8:45 this morning from their tech Adam saying they had looked at my e-mail and are sending me a NEW MOTOR FREE OF CHARGE!!:eek:
already surprised with the call and only thing i really wanted whas a new spring to try to get the thing going again but a new motor was not something i expected!
no questions asked! and delivered to my door!
they had a few drama's with faulty o-rings in them causing it to let water in, they claim they are waterproof...
fitted wrong in the factory but having tested different o-rings they got the problem solved so he said...
now that's what i call SERVICE!!
just tought i put some positive info on here about IRONMAN as i have been a critic as well..
so...all i can say, for 899 bucks you get the big puller 12000lbs winch, stainless steel bolts and nuts everywhere!,good quality internals and a 3 year warranty....and a service second to none! easy choise i'd say!!
cheers, Jack.

·
Registered
640 Posts
that sort of service should be considered when you know the actual cost of the winch! On a recent business trip to asia i had dinner with some manufacturers that imported some of the similar chinese winchs. On average they were sub ~$180AUD for most styles in small quantities and would reduce the price to near $115AUD if 50 or more were ordered. So by paying $899 to them, they could give you 4 spares and they would still be making a good margin!! food for thought.....

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
offroadjack said:
today, to my surprise i got a call at 8:45 this morning from their tech Adam saying they had looked at my e-mail and are sending me a NEW MOTOR FREE OF CHARGE!!:eek:
hes a big bald love machine that Adam... and a good bloke to boot :)

DGR01 said:
...and would reduce the price to near $115AUD if 50 or more were ordered. So by paying $899 to them
Yep, but thats how business works... someone takes the risks and puts the large up front, and the slaves pay the asking price :(

·
Registered
nissan patrol
91 Posts
after killing 2 ironmam 9000 on my old hilux and having iron man replace it with a 12000 i thought they were great people to. then the 12000 played up yes irom man have good service but there product is what it is cheap. you pay for what you get i now have a warn on my patrol could not ask for any better.

a tip for you all the iron man 9000 and the 12000 have the same motor use the same motor for both winchs they use different gears to to make the 12000. so you pay a few extra dollars for differnt gears and thicker cable

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not true marco..
9.500 has a 5.5 HP - 4.1 kw motor.
12.000 has a 6 HP - 4.5 kw motor.
and both have the same 265:1 gear reduction ratio.

·
Registered
Nissan
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
and yes i had highmount WARNS before and they do work a treat (most of the time)
but i was not gonna pay 2500 bucks for another one of them (left the last one on the car that i sold:headwall:)
the ironman has worked well for me and never had a drama with it but rust in the motor wil def. kill it..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bahah great idea! I'd pay sub 200 for a chinese winch!!! 12000pd please!

·
Registered
Nissan
253 Posts
lol i'd be in for a group buy at that price hahah

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
If wanting to do a group buy try either of these 2 sites if you want for cheap chinese winches. theres heaps of deals to be had and some of these companies would be very willing to flood the market and if you want quick delivery contact one of the asian frieght companies out of asia and they can have stuff in Melb or Bris via Sinapore inside of 36 hours.

http://au.alibaba.com/products/atv-4x4-winch

Ningbo Lianda Winch Co.,Ltd.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,550 Posts
:roll: Now people will think they can get a good winch landed for $180.
You'd have to buy a container load to get them at that price and by the time you paid freight and duties etc it aint what it seems. Plus, whats the quality of what you're getting for the money?
Chinese factories will make anything you ask..........if it's large quantities. They have a "yes, we can do" attitude, but they are in so much competition with each other they will do anything and cut corners to beat the guy next door to get your business.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Sudso, You are right to question the quality, but unfortunately you are wrong on quantity, you can buy just one or 20 or 50 or 100 or "a container load" and if you buy from one of the factories that are certified by SGS you will find the quality as good as the all the other 9000 - 12000lb winches for sale in Australia under $1200.
The thing is this is exactly what these cheap Australian companies are doing that seem to be spruking cheap 4x4 gear and then just putting their sticker/ name on them. They buy a winch for $200 sell it to you for $950 give you a 2 year warranty no questions asked, if it fails or leaks and get rusty etct etc they can replace it 4 times before the warranty is expired at no cost and have $150 to cover the freight, the reality is most wont fail in the warranty period so they make good money ripping you off.
Its the same as a $19.95 drill, the bushes or brushers (whatever they are) are designed to last 9 minutes, you buy it to hang a picture for the missus, it does the job, you use it for say 45 seconds to drill the hole, you do this about 12x over 2 years, then next time you go to use it, it’s dead, battery, bushes who knows? It only cost $20 lasted 2 years; you think you got a reasonable buy so you buy another next time If this happened to a $500 drill you’d be pissed it’s the same with a winch.
Spend $200 on something that will last 2 years or more and you have probably only used it twice or 3 times or buy a warn for 2K use it the same amount and you won’t know the difference except you will be $1800 poorer.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
My first Ironman winch was crap, and they replaced it with what at that time about 2.5 years ago was the new 12000lb "monster winch". This winch has been majic, although you can argue they are a bit slow on a single line pull. Hasnt let me down, has been used several times on huge trees, pulling me up hills, etc. Was just admiring the scrub marks on the fairlead yesterday.

Anyway I have pulled it down and had a look inside, and it is as good as new. No sign of wear. And it still runs cool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts