Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys long time lurker on the forum but have mostly flown under the radar
Picked this up off deccers on Thursday very happy with my purchase :)

99 wagon factory 4.2 that's had a stock gu turbo put on not going to be fiddling with the motor like I normally would other than an intercooler
Has a 2 inch lift
33s which I'll be needing to replace 2 at some stage soon
Roof rack
Awning
Light bar and Spotties
And a UHF

I bought digital boost and egt gauges to install which I'll. Be doing this week

Yesterday I installed a jvc Bluetooth head unit and installed the microphone on the a pillar at the top of the trim
Best $149 I've spent haha while I had the dash apart I took the chance to rewire it all and tidy it up

Plus I have a bag full of polishing and cleaning stuff to really get it all tidied up

Then repaint the roof to get rid of the small Amount of surface rust. Tidy wiring in the engine bay

New stereo

Boost and egt I bought

And testing it out the day after I bought it this was on the way home from Work

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plans are to give it a good clean and use it as a tourer/daily/weekend play car nothing major planned otherwise....i have had a few rigs that end up going to far haha

My last patrol was a rd28 gq running 20 psi boost intercooler and barwork everywhere

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Little bit of an update

Map sensor fitted for the boost gauge

Egt probe fitted pre turbo at the collector reason for going pre turbo is I prefer the accuracy and not having to worry about temp loss across the turbine. Stick to 650 pre turbo and I'll have a very safe tune �� there is a small oil leak around the turbo and at the intake where I have a small boost leak... Is it common for ht18 turbo seals to go?

The grease ontop of the manifold is from me drilling use grease and a magnet to make sure I get all the metal

And a mock up of my gauge mount... Will tig one up out of ally and paint it black

I also deleted the muffler in the exhaust and modded it so it's not rubbing muffler was ciezed so I couldn't just undo the clamps so had to cut it Fresh piece of 3 inch welded in sounds nice and isn't loud, in fact can't hear a thing over the tyres lol

The suspension bushes in ass end are a bit flogged and clunking so they will be done in the next few weeks

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Welcome to the white 99 GU turbo non intercooled TD42 club :)

Mine is much the same, although I've got a Redback Extreme exhaust on the way and a 2" lift kit marooned in Rockhampton grr grr.

I like your instrument set up. Where did you get the gauges? And if you decide to try and match the housing to the trim rather than paint it black, I toured the paint department of Bunnings with my ashtray and came away with a spay can which was a pretty fair match to paint my Recaro seat mount. FWIW.

Good luck with the new rig!!

Alex

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a great idea on the paint thanks mate :)

Unfortunately it's a Na patrol that's been turbo'd so for. Me it's light Pistons and low boost that's why I won't be fiddling with this one but I am having thoughts of throwing in a set of turbo Pistons and oil squirters which would give me a lot more piece of mind and save catastrophic failure if a piston did let go

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah that pic was when I had just drilled it... No swarf after clean up use a magnet and grease to collect as I drill it and don't use a pilot hole so it can't drop... Then use a telescopic magnet to make sure none dropped in :)

Boost and egt gauges installed now in pod I'm not sure if it happy with it might still move them to another position

Max boost is 10.2 psi
Max egt so far has been 550 pre turbo when I'm into it
It's so tempting to wind it up a tad but I'm using all of my will power not to in the interest of engine longevity

I fabbed up the enclosure out of acrylic instead of allot at work today

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,174 Posts
Where did you get the boost gauge? I have sane egt gauge but cant find boost or water temp the same

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got to Lock the hubs today unfortunately managed to cause some damage already so far
Very happy with how it handles off road and how the suspension is working specially for a 2 inch lift

Was just a play for About half hour not far from home

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Got to Lock the hubs today unfortunately managed to cause some damage already so far
Very happy with how it handles off road and how the suspension is working specially for a 2 inch lift

Was just a play for About half hour not far from home

Oh well, gives you an excuse to update the headlights and sidelights :)

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
I only replaced that light a week before you bought it ya ****head haha.

Good to see your happy with it mate :) You took it off road before I did :p

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha deccers **** happens... Unfortunately it was just a stray stick that come up while reversing and got wedged between the bar and the light... Light lost the battle...

Picked up 20 litres of Delo 400 today ready for the next service at which point I'll do the fuel filter and gearbox oils as well...

This weekend I'll be fitting the spare front door cards and got some speakers to put in

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update time

Tidied up wiring in engine bay and wired in some power sockets in the rear one for fridge and 2 usb charging ports

Fixed my boost leaks both the spacer and the inlet pipe were leaking tightened up dump pipe and turbo flange bolts

I have an oil leak at the turbo seems its the oil feed line to the turbo i tightened the fitting but no joy so ill need a new line.

And some photos from our trip to south ballina over the weekend.

Was a great trip truck performed well but i am concerned about engine temps and my clutch doesnt feel right (deccers had a new one installed before the sale) but its notchy and doesnt take up until the top of the pedal :confused:hopefully its only a minor issue i will be flushing and bleeding the clutch and see how that goes.

cheers

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New gauge bought still need to wire it in

Sensor fitted into thermostat housing into the blank

Found a small leak at the drain bung von the radiator turned out to be stripped thread in rad... Retapped to m10 and fit a new bolt in with rubber washer to seal it

Still need to bleed the clutch very long Pedal on a new clutch not sure what else it would be crunches getting 4th gear and reverse

And will be modding the roof rack to lower it right down, light bar will be mounted to the front of the rack instead of underneath and aim for 20mm clearance on the roof... Hopefully lower my woeful fuel economy 16-17 litres per hundred unloaded

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New rear bushes fitted today very happy no more clunking and banging... Turns out they weren't worn whoever installed them hadn't put the crush tubes in a couple of the bushes meaning the bolt was going through a 20 odd mm hole instead of 10mm... anyway new rubber jobbies put in

Old

New

Pressing them in

For anyone else needing to do bushes. I rang around locally not Being able to find anything for a decent price... 400+ dollars... Found these on eBay 82 dollars free shipping arrived in 3 days and the look fantastic quality Bolts fit nicely etc

Not much else to report on the patrol... Have rotated tyres and wired the light bar and spotties to trigger in the high beams... Much better at night
This week I'll. Be prepping for our Easter trip good service and check wheel bearings etc.

On the way to my father in-laws to use his press to Do the job I spotted this

Bloke had 500 on it I stopped to get his pH number off the sign when he sung out from his house I wandered down he said it needs to go as he's moving and to make an offer I was gonna offer 200 when he said hundred bucks it's yours so I took off grabbed the cash and towed it 200 Mtrs down the road to the in-laws property should be some good fun lol....

Has been setup for speedway of some sort In its day so has fuel cell isolator 6 point cage...

Inbits

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Been on the search for a tablet mount for the truck but anything on the market I wasnt happy with. Mounting to windscreen blocks view especially with a 10 inch and I don't like suction cup mounts, vent mounts are too unstable and the ones that bolt to the seat would also be very unstable on rough roads

So bought one and cut it up to suit what I wanted
View from drivers side

View from passenger side.. Can swivel both directions for navigation or for the passenger to do whatever.

Here's a pic of the bed setup..

All Clothes get stored underneath were the right rear back seat was with fridge towards the front of the cavity.
Stove and cooking gear in draws and tools in the other draw.. I bought some of those sunshades for babies to block out the sun in the mornings

I also checked all my wheel bearings today. Slowly getting there...

·
Elmo
Nissan
4,899 Posts
Do yourself a favour and buy a roof top tent dude...

Matress in the back gets pretty old pretty quick.

Make a drop slide for your fridge and a 3/4 cargo barrier that bolts to the top of the drawers. Much more organised

1 - 20 of 420 Posts