Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Do you care if clandestine entity paid a smuggler? Do you really care what Indo says?

• Yes, I really care if a clandestine entity paid a smuggler to return to Indonesia, Yes I do care wha

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • No, I don't really care if a clandestine entity paid a smuggler to return to Indonesia, No I don't c

Votes: 21 70.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With all the rhetoric of the above and considering I believe our little forum is a true cross section of Australian Society opinion, I wondered the consensus on the current people smuggling topic.

Do you really care if some clandestine entity paid a smuggler to return to Indonesia?

Do you really care what (known) corrupt Indonesian police and political officials say about us?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry guy's I screwed up on the poll, should have made it a multiple choice but I didn't and can't seem to edit that part, so any NO or YES will have to cover both questions, brain is not working to well today :(.

EDIT: Reduced question to one each way so "Fixed".

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Shouldn't we all care what politicians do on our behalf. After all they are there to represent us. Also it wasn't just some clandestine entity handing over cash, it was done at the governments orders.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't we all care what politicians do on our behalf. After all they are there to represent us. Also it wasn't just some clandestine entity handing over cash, it was done at the governments orders.
And you know this for sure how? Show me the proof. It is very easy for corrupt police officials and politicians to make accusations and show pics of US bank notes to an over zealous TV/Newspaper crew whatever, I actually have a $3 bill I picked up in the US, I could show you a pic of that if you like, does that prove it is worth anything?

I was actually wondering what the ABC's George Roberts was going to do with himself after the Bali 2 were executed, now I know :).

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
And you know this for sure how? Show me the proof. It is very easy for corrupt police officials and politicians to make accusations and show pics of US bank notes to an over zealous TV/Newspaper crew whatever, I actually have a $3 bill I picked up in the US, I could show you a pic of that if you like, does that prove it is worth anything?

I was actually wondering what the ABC's George Roberts was going to do with himself after the Bali 2 were executed, now I know :).
The only way to know the truth for sure is for this open, honest and transparent government to either deny or confirm it happened. That is not going to happen because they are none of the above. This whole premise that the on water operations are classified is bs. The people smugglers and the indo government know whats happening, the only group that doesn't is the Australian public.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no problem with Government's not commenting on operational matters, unlike Indonesia we do not have an openly corrupt officialdom, sure there may be small elements in our system but it is not endemic. If you have ever worked in SEA there is a common saying among expats that if it's not for sale you just haven't offered enough money.

To be honest I would say the same thing under a Labor Govt for that exact same reason, there may be a question about morality but we are not endemically corrupt, checks and balances generally work their way through it.

But, I still believe the average Australian doesn't give a rats bum about this zephyr in a thimble, we have higher priority events to worry about.

·
The Member Formerly Known as Lusty Dusty
nissan
6,172 Posts
If a payment was made I can't see it as ethical, illegal...I'm not sure.
Miniscule cost compared to keeping those in detention....yes.
Caring what the Indos think...a little, they are a powerful neighbour.
Do I trust them...nope.

Clear as mud eh!

Cheers.....Lionel.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,470 Posts
My concern is that by paying them (and if govt can't deny it then we assume it happened) if anything it could encourage the smugglers as they get paid either way.

but apart from that I couldn't give a toss either way.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Who's paying who? That's what I'd like to know. At the end of the day we're all paying one way or the other.
Over and out!:roll:

·
Registered
Nissan
2,992 Posts
Im sure since the payment was also a don't do it again, next time won't be so nice. But to put it in perspective, $40k is a lot less than that boat would cost to process here

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts

Your both right.

Sméagol is right in saying that we should care, I'm actually pissed of and think it lowers us to their (indo crims and corruption) level and those who ordered it should be removed from office.

You are right in that there is no proof, as per us bank note comment, against Abbott, yet. But there is against labor it would seem.

At this time my outrage is directed at labor, if it is proven that the libs did as well then they will join labor as no better than the people that are paying ;)

And so I vote

Yes

No

That is just my opinion on the thread topic. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts