Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chasing advice from someone who has tinkered with our injector pumps a bit.
I am building a project zd30di to go into my bobcat.
I have a compete engine (in parts) to use.
Everything from ecu, wiring harness, injector pump etc.
I am concerned that the whole wiring harness will not physically fit anywhere and I am also concerned that electrical issues may wreak havoc with my machine.
I would like to know if its possible to 'manualise' the pump and remove the electronic control.
Obviously this would require a new control shaft to be made along with new top plate.
Alternatively could I swap my electronic pump for the the previous manual pump?
As I am not chasing every kw possible, I am not concerned about small details like the control of the timing advance and retard etc.
If I can remove the electronics from the pump, I can then eliminate the harness and remove the egr unit and so much other components that will become redundant.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
Fitting a manually controlled pump to a ZD30DI is not uncommon in EU so I have heard, not heard of it here or doing a conversion, the ECU controls many things within engine operation parameters so it won't be an easy task, TBH I really don't see a reason why you shouldn't just use the whole lot as you have it. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
132 Posts
There was someone on Facebook that was posting a successful conversion to a manual pump but they never left any details as to what it was from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
I'm chasing advice from someone who has tinkered with our injector pumps a bit.
I am building a project zd30di to go into my bobcat.
I have a compete engine (in parts) to use.
Everything from ecu, wiring harness, injector pump etc.
I am concerned that the whole wiring harness will not physically fit anywhere and I am also concerned that electrical issues may wreak havoc with my machine.
I would like to know if its possible to 'manualise' the pump and remove the electronic control.
Obviously this would require a new control shaft to be made along with new top plate.
Alternatively could I swap my electronic pump for the the previous manual pump?
As I am not chasing every kw possible, I am not concerned about small details like the control of the timing advance and retard etc.
If I can remove the electronics from the pump, I can then eliminate the harness and remove the egr unit and so much other components that will become redundant.
Just remembered, why not give Diesel Central at Gracemere Qld a call, if there is anything to be known about a VP44 and a manual conversion it would be Shawn, I replaced my VP44 last year and bought it from them, much earlier I had been up that way and dropped in for a chat, got a tour of the factory, man these guys know what they are doing, worth a phone call anyway.

·
Registered
Nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fitting a manually controlled pump to a ZD30DI is not uncommon in EU so I have heard, not heard of it here or doing a conversion, the ECU controls many things within engine operation parameters so it won't be an easy task, TBH I really don't see a reason why you shouldn't just use the whole lot as you have it. My 2 cents worth.
Thanks geeyoutoo,
I am in 2 minds which way to go.
I'd like to use the whole lot as I have the dash cluster and it'd be good to utilise the taco for example.
As I said, the downside to that is using the whole engine assembly and harness (Its a bloody big harness) and I am unsure if I can get it all to physically fit into its new home.
If I can modify the pump to be manually controlled, I can remove the whole harness and ecu, and eliminate alot of then unrequired components to bring the engine back to basic.
The engine it is replacing is a kubota v2203.
2.2L non turbo 40kw.
This is why optimum power is irrelevant. The v2203 only has a starter motor switch, glow plug, and fuel cut solenoid control.
I feel much more optimistic if I can achieve a minimal engine assembly for fitment and actual operation.
I plan to assemble the engine in the shed, get it running, then attempt fitting it.
I feel very anxious about having software issues and not be able to get the enging running at all, or going into limp mode while I'm carrying a load of dirt.
If I can manualise and simplify the assembly, the better I feel it will be for it to operate.
As I will also have to adapt an engine speed governor, I have a heap of work to do just to achieve the goal.
I picked up the zd30 for $600 and it will only cost my time to modify and fit.
The kubota will cost 2k at a minimum and thats not an option atm.
While it may seem simpler to repair the oem motor, I'm keen to do this for a bit of fun, regardless of the cost. Imagine the wheelies I'll be able to pull.

·
Registered
Nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just remembered, why not give Diesel Central at Gracemere Qld a call, if there is anything to be known about a VP44 and a manual conversion it would be Shawn, I replaced my VP44 last year and bought it from them, much earlier I had been up that way and dropped in for a chat, got a tour of the factory, man these guys know what they are doing, worth a phone call anyway.
cheers mate much appreciated!

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,364 Posts
No modds can be done to the VP44 pump as it's already a very highly developed and tuned pump and is rated many many years ago by the Germans during testing (I have read a full article on this subject a long time ago) to have next to no limits on it's pumping ability meaning that it can be used in very highly tuned aplications and keep up without breaking a sweat. The VP44 pump has an easy life in a 4cyl engine,most of the USA engines are Dodge 6cyl pumping out in excess of 300BHP and they use the identical VP44 pump just with the obvious two extra injector lines in pump but the basic workings and mechanics of the pump is the exact same. Best leave it as is & run the Patrol wiring/ECU with it...just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
Nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks dan,
I've found a cpl more vids with more detail and you're right, it can't be modified in the principle I had hoped for.
Is there any chance you could share the literature about the pump? I'd love to read up more on it.

Hey geeyoutoo, is there any chance you could share a link to the wiring diagram? I looked the other day but couldn't get the manuals to work.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,931 Posts
Go to the DI archives, in manuals and papers I linked the full VP44 manual several years ago, it is the zexel manual but they are basically the same, just made in Japan under license to Bosch.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,364 Posts
I don't remember where i read it but it was a Bosch article,i'm sure a quick google could even bring it up. The VP44 is a extremly durable pump the only thing it does not like i running out of diesel. I had my own overhauled recently and funny enough i asked could the pump be modified to pump more diesel. The long and short of it was and this guy is at these pumps and earlier versions since they existed.They have to keep up with them through out the years but the answer i got was ''For more power'' first upgrade the engine/turbo and injectors...the pump will keep up without touching it!

Reactions: omlet88

·
Registered
Nissan
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So after much more contemplating and speaking with mechanic friends, I have decided to persevere with tinkering with the pump to get it to work how I want.
A friend told me that if the fuel is metered by a solenoid, we could adapt a PWM onto it and take control of the solenoid, eliminating the ecu etc.
Now I've begun to inspect the pump, I can see it is in very poor condition. I believe the pump will require an overhaul regardless :(
I removed the solenoid at the rear of the pump, believing it was the metering solenoid but upon assessment of its components, I believe it is merely the shut off solenoid.
There is only approx .25 - .5mm of stroke of the spool which I highly doubt is the metering device.
(Feel free to correct me as this is my 1st injector pump experience)
I then removed the solenoid at the bottom of the pump and I believe this is the metering control.
The 2 wires running from the pump ecu had their insulation completely disintegrated, showing 2 bare alum cores, so it may not be usable either.
It appears to have the spool integrated inside the solenoid assembly.
I've found a post on a mopar forum back in 2014 which shows a pump disassembled and its components laying out.
I know there are a heap of vids but it is good to look at the pics and scroll through at my own pace. here is the link if anyone sees use for it too.

I spoke with shawn at diesel central via email and he also stated that the pumps can't reaqlly be modified but I'm yet to quiz him on my latest hope of a PWM control.
He informed me that the vp44's are as they are, and have not really changed since their beginning.
I had assumed that the 1st release of the zd30 had a manual control of the injector pump but he says its been the same pump right through.
I'll let you know on my progress, however its a side project so it may take some time

1 - 11 of 11 Posts