Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I started trying to remove my Inlet Manifold last night. Ran into trouble trying to get 1 bolt out. The one behind the last fuel line (closest to the firewall). Can anyone let me know if removing the fuel lines out of the pump is advisable or will I be causing myself more grief. My truck has only done 67000k and I'm wondering whether to keep going or not.

Also looks like once I get this out I might struggle to get the manifold off due to the fact that there might be a line with coolant coming around the drivers side of the block at the rear. As there is a stud in the block in that corner this pipe is bolted to that corner with a bracket, looks like might have to drain coolant and remove heat shield on passenger side to free up just that one corner.

I really appreciate any assistance someone can give who may have removed theirs before.

Regards

David

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
Rumcjas did his and said it was a pita. And he is a bloody good mechanic!

@67k I wouldn't have worried about it, just scoop out what you can after taking the throttle body off. That's all I did at 250k. It was pretty chunked up but way too hard to take the inlet manifold off.

Good luck!

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
You might be able to get a ratcheting spanner onto that... maybe.. but yeah that pipe is right in the way!

·
Registered
Nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Dronus. I'm not sure if that is a coolant pipe or not. Whatever it is though it ain't gonna be easy to get to.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
They look like the fuel injector pipes.. I'm not sure what precautions need to be taken when taking them off a working engine.
The engine I pulled down was dead so I didn't take any precautions.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
This is as far as I went on my engine. I just carefully scooped handfuls of vegemite out.
Others have soaked a rag with petrol and tied it to some wire to shove in there.

If you do decide to do that just be careful to not dislodge any big chunks and let them fall :)

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
You need to allow at least 6-7 hours to do it and yes it is a PITA, I started doing it a long time ago and finished up thinking "I'm not sure the outcome is worth the effort" :headwall:, so I stopped and limited the exercise to removal and cleaning of the throttle body, then getting as far down the manifold as I could with a cloth on a strong bit of fencing wire, I didn't use any solvent initially and when I got the bulk of it out I just lightly wetted another bit of cloth with turps and after that dried it out as best I could before re assembling.

Then I decided to fit Water Meth injection to finish the cleanup over time :).

·
Grenade Master
GU4 05
2,613 Posts
You have to remove injection lines otherwise you will not be able to remove the manifold.

There is one problem which will break your spirit for sure and that is the last stud (with EGR pipe bracket nearby) at the end of the manifold which is just too long so manifold keeps hitting everything in there.

The final straw is trying to start the engine afterwards. You need to purge fuel lines somehow but if you assemble everything back you won't be able to as everything is in the way. I hope you have spare batteries or live on the top of long hill.

It took me 40 minutes of cranking and bleeding before the thing fired in to life again.

VP44 are atrocious pumps!

Oh and cleaning the manifold will make you think: "never again", its messy, tedious and you'll need pressure cleaner to do it right.

Regards

Here are the instructions ==>

Attachments

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
going past tool shop soon good excuse to buy inspection camera
For bloody sure, I bought one for this specific reason, I have been able to check the WM self cleaning aspect using it.

·
Registered
Nissan
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You have to remove injection lines otherwise you will not be able to remove the manifold.

There is one problem which will break your spirit for sure and that is the last stud (with EGR pipe bracket nearby) at the end of the manifold which is just too long so manifold keeps hitting everything in there.

The final straw is trying to start the engine afterwards. You need to purge fuel lines somehow but if you assemble everything back you won't be able to as everything is in the way. I hope you have spare batteries or live on the top of long hill.

It took me 40 minutes of cranking and bleeding before the thing fired in to life again.

VP44 are atrocious pumps!

Oh and cleaning the manifold will make you think: "never again", its messy, tedious and you'll need pressure cleaner to do it right.

Regards

Here are the instructions ==>
Hi Mate

Thanks so much I managed to get it off. Only took about 30mins to clean. Mice and shiny now. Half way tt reassembly now. Haven't got to restarting yet. How did u purge it. Take fuel lines out and pump with filter. Your diagram was huge help. Im putting the fact that it was not so dirty to the fact o had catch can in since 40k and has only done 67k now. EGR getting blocked now and dawes valve fitted which have been planning to do for 2years.lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts