Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening Forumites looking for a little guidance as I am a bit of a noob when comes to sparky stuff!
The situation is I have a 1998 GU TB45 dual fuel and I am keen to install a 12v outlet in the rear cargo area to run Waeco CFX 40 fridge with view to expand to other things like lighting in the future. To keep things simple and pretty numpty proof the plan is to run directly from the battery 8b&s cable with an inline fuse through the firewall into the cabin behind the panels and trim to the rear LHS internal inspection panel.
The big questions I have are as follows....
1. I know this one will sound dumb but here goes how is the best way to get the cable through the fire wall with out going making a hash of it.

2. What sized fuse should I be looking at ?

3. Is the plan a sound one or is the missus likely to find a pile of ashes?

Any feedback or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
Nissan 2002 GU TD42 Coil Cab
255 Posts
Mokman,
Do you already have a tow bar and trailer plug on your vehicle.
Much simpler to pick up the power wire from the plug and run it to your inspection panel.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
76 Posts
This has been covered many times before but I will try and give you a quick run down. The better solution is to run the twin core cable through the grommet on the passenger side fire wall down alone the sill panels to somewhere in the rear, I would run it to a fuse block then you can fuse each outlet individually. If running to a fuse block you can then run smaller size cable from the fuse block to the ciggy plugs anywhere in huge car. Make sure you fuse the main cable at the battery I.e. If your running 100amp cable fuse it with a 50/60 amp fuse. This method is very brief and there is probably a better way but this is similar to how I did mine

·
Registered
nissan patrol
5 Posts
Just curious mate but, I'm looking for a similar solution
I understand the wiring install procedure to get power to the back
Of my wagon having a dual battery,but alternatively I don't want to use 12v cig outlets I just want easy access
To multiple negative earthed and positive terminals for when I install things like
My boab water tank and pump, L.E.D lights strip, rear lighting and
Other electronic items. I'm looking for this alternative because
I have a set of drawers in the back and taking internal panels out everytime I need to
Install an electronic item in the rear of the wagon is a hassle, so basically want a "power board" that I can screw into the left hand wing opening of the drawers and just tap into a negative and positive power terminals. Does this fuse box assembly offer this or is it only for positive wiring? And I would still have to take a panel out and earth my negative wiring from each item to the body?

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
There are better options. That doesnt look like it has fuses, nor a cover. I'd want every circuit fused individually.

ST Blade - Blue Sea Systems

You can get them with a common positive (what you want) and with or without earth.

Having an earth would be a good idea for the boot since it means you dont need to find a panel every time you add an accessory and keeps the wiring nice and tidy.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
5 Posts
Hey mate this actually does have individual fuses for all 9 outlets, it's a current item on eBay
Under distribution box under automotive items. But no it doesn't come with any kind of cover.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
74 Posts
my tuppence-worth: I used a Narva fuse box. It has earth and quite a few individually fused connections and ran (I think) 6B&S from the 2nd Batt through the firewall and put the box under the dash, with easy access if a fuse blows. Wired all my gismos directly off that running cables to cargo area (power)and barn doors (camping lights) under the carpet and behind panels etc. Simple. If I can do it any nuff nuff can. One thing I would say is that I get the occasional fuse blowing if I plug in stuff to either of the sockets and the accessory's switch is in the 'on' position. My bad, I know for not checking it's 'off' before plugging in, but just sayin'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts