Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone like to help me install a 2"lift, i recently bought the springs and shocks now just need someone to install them.

Cheapest price i got offered was $120

But if anyone can help out for a little less, that would be mighty helpful. I have a few tools but i don't have the coil compressors to get them out.

cheers

p.s Located in Narangba QLD. would prefer to get it done at home as i work 6 days a week and I wouldn't be able to drop and leave the car

·
Registered
nissan
1,820 Posts
As mentioned you don't need coil compressors disconnecting the sway bar will allow it to drop down so the springs can be removed one at a time. The most important thing it to have some good chassis stands. I done the front of mine first and used 4 chassis stands and put chocks either side of both rear wheels after I lowered it onto the stands just to be safe because I had no help.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,038 Posts
If you don't use a spring compressor you may need to disconnect the brake lines and breather tube to get the new taller springs in. No biggie, just takes longer and requires the brakes to be bled after.

Cheers,

Edit: +1 to decent chassis stands

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
the easy way to do it is 1 wheel at a time
handbrake on/in gear
jack wheel up and remove
jack up chassis.put axle stand under chassis
remove shock
let jack down
swap springs
jack enough to fit shock
continue jacking to refit wheel and remove stand/2nd jack

repeat 3x

tools needed
trolley jack
bottle jack or if yr anal an axle stand
wheel brace
socket/spanners for shock nuts
large multigrips if frt shock top nuts are seized
podgy bar/rubber hammer to assist with spring seating

·
Master Coalroller
nissan
3,230 Posts
X whatever no need for spring comp.
Disconnect:
Shocks at lower mount all 4.
Rear sway bar and panhard at lower mount (front shouldn't need to for 2").
Brake "T" attached to diff, and bend up about 2" for extra clearance. EDIT! This is for install only, re-attach upon assembly!

Old springs will come out easy.

Keeping an eye on brake lines, have a mate step on the end of the housing to get the extra bit of space needed to pile in the new spring. He's also the spotter and tool fetcher.

Pay attention to the top rubbers, if using the originals have them sit exactly as they were on the spring or you get "SQUEAK SQUEAK".

Guide the lowers into the saddles by jacking the axle up then attach the shock lower each corner. The lower spring and saddle relationship should have the spring tip rotated about 10mm from the end point in saddle. You'll get the idea when under the car looking at it.

When attaching the rear sway bar and panhard your mate will have to kick the whole diff one way or the other to align.
Don't post " I can't align my sway bar and panhard? What's wrong with my truck?" like my nephew did to me one night hahaha. Made him buy me a carton for kicking his diff over an inch hahaha.

Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sweet thanks everyone, looks like a trip to Supercheap to get some decent axle stands then the rest of the tools i have.

Will have to do the one at a time thing i think but all good advice

Cheers

·
Gone Fishing
NISSAN 1989 GQ PATROL
6,203 Posts
loosen all panhard nuts aswell, no need to take off for a 2 inch make sure you tighten them back up only when all finished and the car is back on the ground. and double check you have the springs on the right side's, should have a DS and PS sticker on them drivers side and passenger side.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a look under the truck on the week end, and i am 100% positive i have no mechanical skill whatso ever so won't attempt this myself.

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
if you can bring yr wagon and a 1ltr bottle of JD to kipparing on saturday they will be fitted while you watch

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wish i could Gasburner, kipparing is close to me, but i work 6 days a week. Saturday from 9-6

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
I wish i could Gasburner, kipparing is close to me, but i work 6 days a week. Saturday from 9-6
Give Zordos a call, he might be able to fit it for you and his rates are reasonable. He is on this forum as well.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,861 Posts
Like wise as mentioned I would also help you out and fit free of charge, its a couple of hours work if that provided nothing is seized even then its not a problem, just give everything like shock and sway bar link nuts a soak with WD40 or CRC.

I can understand it maybe daunting if you have not a lot of mechanical experience but seeing it done right to demo straight just how straight forward it really is should give you the confidence to tackle it again your self in future if need be.

Did I mention I'm in Victoria so no help to you, sorry mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how about sunday then

Sunday i could mate, but i'd hate to ruins someone Sunday just to fit a lift kit in.

But if you can spare a few hours on a Sunday, that would be fantastic and of course i'll supply the JD.

Any Sunday that suits is fine with me.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I just helped put a 3" dobinsons lift into a patrol tonight. The back was fine just disconnecting the sway bar links and shocks, springs went straight in.

The Front was trickier due to the brake line (abs in a gu3) but we used spring compressors and it was sweet..
Keep an eye on the different breathers. .

About an hour work and a couple of cans of bourban.

Good jack stands, floor jack and rattle gun makes it easy :)

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
Hey Darren,you can come over tomorrow and get yr lift fitted if you want.txt me on 0421597219 and i will ring you with the address.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts