Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Another question from me! :rolleyes:

How have you guys gone about installing a engel fridge slide into the rear of a GU wagon in the absense of any draw system? Basically what I am asking, do you drill through the floor or install on a board that mounts into existing holes, or something completely different!! :grin:

Thanks!!

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Get a sheet of 9mm ply, and remove the tiedown points, and then screw the ply down to the tie downpoints old mounts on the floor
Mount fridge slide to that.

·
Registered
nissan
406 Posts
You dont want to drill holes in the floor. You can buy pretty good slides on ebay for about $50

like these ...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4WD-Fridge-Generator-Storage-Drawer-Slides-HDuty-100kg_W0QQitemZ270338826658QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_Parts_Accessories?hash=item270338826658&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318

Then use a sheet of ply as the base as Truckster said - bolt that down using exisiting floor holes and bolts, and attached the runners too that.

Then use another bit of ply and attach the slides, and the fridge sits on that.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
truckster said:
Get a sheet of 9mm ply, and remove the tiedown points, and then screw the ply down to the tie downpoints old mounts on the floor
Mount fridge slide to that.
Thanks Truckster. :) Sounds like a good way of doing it :cool:

Jack, thanks for the links. However I actually have a engel fridge slide from one of my previous slides.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Funny, I was just thinking how the mount the Waeco Mounting Kit to my floor. I cant figure out (without buying the kit first i guess) how to mount that. Does it just screw in the floor with 4 screws, seems they provide it with screws and not bolts.

Does anyone have a good drawing of a plywood shape for the floor they are willing to share, maybe i'll make a floor anyway.

Also, if I would go for making a slide such as in the ebay-link, how do you fix the fridge on the slide, and how do you lock the slide in place?

·
MIA
1,779 Posts
I went and bought the "Consoles" fridge slide that is custom made for the Patrol utilising the bolt holes in the floor. See www.consoles.com.au as it shows some good pics and ideas. You can then but a single or double drawer setup later that will sit besides it. They are in Sydney, but can freight direct to you and it's p*ss easy to fit.

·
MIA
1,779 Posts
Hansie said:
ugh thats quite expensive !
Yep. You want quality, then fork out some $$.
You want your car to look like a Lada with band-aids, then stick in your 9mm ply and I'm sure it will "real good" - not. I don't understand how people can spend $x on their Patrol and then want to stinge on the accessories.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Guys,

The process is as follows:
1) Use the carpet from the rear as the draft for the ply base and I used a quite thick marine ply, about 20mm.
2) Remove any hardware you don't require on the floor and use the holes with threads for mounting the base.
3) When your ply base fits snug decide which bolt holes to use and screw bolts in that sit pround of the floor (I grind them to look like upwards facing centre punches0 and place the plywood floor over them and tap the wood to mark the locations.
4) Remove the ply (and the centre punches) and drill the holes to accept a flush fitting bolt (I use cup washers and hex headed bolts) but counter sunk hex drives will work but not as strong.
5) Refit the ply and secure with the bolts and trial fit and mark the position of the slide and its mounting holes.
6) Remove the ply and drill the mounting holes and fit "Tee nuts" to the underside and tighten them in to "set" them, refit and test fit.
7) Remove and cover with marine carpet and your done! well almost!!!!

The rear cargo floor of the patrol has the topography of a small mountain range with lot's of bumps and valleys etc which will quickly turn your flat plywood floor to a warped piece of poo, so you will need to pack in places to support it so it stays flat or close to. I removed all the carpet and other stuff so had to provide my own soundproofing and insulation using cow hair etc.

Don't forgat to plug any unused holes with bolts or plugs or silastic to prevent the ingress of dust, water etc.

Also a fridge on a slide is next to useless if the stuff packed alongside is'nt prevented from oving sideways and jaming the action.

Hope this helps
Gazza

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
Yea lada.. :rolleyes:

Always wondered why people think a $3000 storage unit is any quality than one made by a carpenter....

·
Chev 6.5 litre V8: no substitute for cubic inches
nissan patrol
2,633 Posts
TheoB said:
Yep. You want quality, then fork out some $$.
You want your car to look like a Lada with band-aids, then stick in your 9mm ply and I'm sure it will "real good" - not. I don't understand how people can spend $x on their Patrol and then want to stinge on the accessories.
Theo, I know what you mean, but some blokes don't have oodles of $$$$ PLUS there is always a certain level of satisfaction with making something yourself. It doesn't have to end up looking like something that belongs in a Lada Niva..... I've seen plenty of home made gear that is equal to the big $$$$ items that ARB and TJM sell......

However, even if the item doesn't look all that fantastic, the main thing is that's it's practical for the purpose required and that it doesn't fall apart on the 1st set of corrogations.

I've seen plenty of the professional rear storage systems. They look great! They weigh a TONNE!!! ..... And they don't (IMHO) make the best use of available space in all cases. But that's just my opinion. I love making my own storage gear.... (with the back half of my rig being non-standard, I have no other choice really; and I wouldn't have it any other way).

Roachie

·
Registered
85 Posts
Gazza1,

great ideas, but: about using the existing carpet as a draft: my carpet is larger on the sides (goes under the wheelarc covers), so how usefull would that be?

·
MIA
1,779 Posts
Fair call Roachie. I suppose whatever suits everybody individually.

Truckster, if I wanted THAT much woodgrain, I would have bought a TI so I can get the dash and door trims too! Just joking mate - don't work yourself up too much. You'll cark it and then who are we going to stir?

I guess I'm one of the types that wants it all to "look" a particular way.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hansie said:
Gazza1,

great ideas, but: about using the existing carpet as a draft: my carpet is larger on the sides (goes under the wheelarc covers), so how usefull would that be?
Yep,
About 1/2" wider on each side so you need to allow for that and cut and sand for a perfect fit.

Gazza

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good work Gazza, that sounds like a good approach to take. I was first thinking if I would not have to cover the whole rear section with ply, but i think that would be best to. Hoepfully I get time next weekend to have a crack at it.

·
Autos are Superior
11,701 Posts
VinceGU05 said:
where does the luggage go?
Soon to be Roofrack in Canvas bag. Although me and Cammo (my son)did 9 days away Robe and Flinders and it all fitted in the back of the car easily.

Most stuff fits in the draws. the big one is fawkin plenty o space.

The only wasted space which I cant figure out how to use is between cargo barrier and back o draws..

TheoB said:
Truckster, if I wanted THAT much woodgrain, I would have bought a TI so I can get the dash and door trims too! Just joking mate - don't work yourself up too much. You'll cark it and then who are we going to stir?
yea not a fan of the wood, but I tried carpeting my last one, and fawkt it up, so was even worse :(

All commercial storage units are Ned Kelly jobs. $2000+ for $300-400 in timber and materials?

·
Registered
nissan
311 Posts
I put my fridge slide on some ply with marine carpet a fair while ago. I bolted it into the tie down holes but I would really like to ecure it the centre using the seat bracket/lock holes.

Does anyone know what size/length bolts will go in and allow for the space between the floor (noting these holes are recessed)- My ply is 15mm

Im going to take it out and go and grab some but it would be useful if I knew what size I need first

Ta

·
Registered
nissan
1,529 Posts
Hansie said:
Does anyone have a good drawing of a plywood shape for the floor they are willing to share, maybe i'll make a floor anyway.
Hansie you can use carboard to make up a template (old beer cartons - im sure if you sink half as much piss as I do you've got a few around)
We do this a lot in car audio circles to make "false floors" for mounting amps and speakers into the floor and raise the floor to a uniformed level (ie the top of the diff hump) its fairly easy to do.
if using ply remember to use large washers or even better a strip of aluminium.

Home made drawers are nothing to be sneezed at. Ive seen plenty of home made draws that easily rival the big brands both in build quality and inginuity. The big brands make a one size fits all where as cabinet makers and (very) handy men can make something that suits thier needs with space for things they take. (tables chairs etc).

The other thing is that marine/auto carpet isnt expencive and can make that home made item look like a bought one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
going to put this in this weekend. What kind of ply did you use and how thick?
I'm thinking 15mm of more to be able to countersink the bolts... unless anyone has a better idea :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts