Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey every one,
I putting in a set of Adjustable upper control arms on my GQ Shorty tomorrow (With 4" lift)
Just wondering if anyone has any tips or trick when it comes to getting the correct angel of the diff again?
My rear springs currently have a bit of a bow in them, so i was just gunna adjust the arms until the base mount for the springs was parallel with the chassie again.....

As i said, any tips or tricks welcomed.....

Cheers

Gordo

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,367 Posts
Chuck it on jack stands (on the chassis rails) then jack up the diff and use blocks of wood to hold the diff in its position, maybe even have a length of wood strapped tight to the diff and use it to lever/pivot the diff whist it rocks on the wood chocks.

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
all i did with mine is put a jack under the pinion shaft of the diff undid both uppers and just wound the jack up or down till the springs were straight. that got it close. then just adjust the arms till the bolts go back in easy. no jacking of vehicle or chassis stands needed.
you can also measure from back of transfer flange to pinion flange but tailshaft has to come off for that.
can also get magnetic protractors to set the angles spot on.
but from experience with mine you may not get rid of the vibes even with adjustable uppers. you would need longer lowers or gearbox spacers.

·
Registered
nissan
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have looked at mine a bit closer......... the actual angle on my tail shaft and uni joint looks Spot on. (Straight and uni looks even) but i still have a pretty good bow in my Springs, one if rubbing on the shocky.....

So wondering how much is Too much angel in the uni

Oh and i already have 20mm gear box spacers.....

·
Registered
412 Posts
I have a swb with 3 to 4" lift depending on weight. I have 16mm+ lowers, 12mm worth of gearbox spacers (2 of them) and upper adjustable control arms.

I had very little vibrations with the uppers at normal length but when empty I could just feel it, but my coils were bowed, shock would hit and uni's were not the same angles.

The other day I adjusted them 9 complete turns around to make them shorter to bring the pinion angle flat and make the coils sit true. This all worked but I over adjusted them and now my bottom uni angle is too much and causes more vibrations then before but the coils are shock do not hit and the coils are straight. So in my case I cant get my coils to sit level as I will have to lengthen the arms a little to get the vibrations completely gone.

So thats my little addition to this thread but I want no vibrations as I like to do things to perfection.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
ive just done same to my mav swb, fitted adjustable upper control arms, i have 4" springs and had tailshaft vibration :( ( just bought it and sorting out probs) after reading so much about the subject on here i fitted the adjustable uppers and left stock lowers, (soon to be heavy duty items as this is weak point) already had 20mm gearbox spacers so g/b shaft already had angle pointing downwards, i adjusted pinion angle same as g/b angle ( slightly upwards) and perfect, no vibrations at all :) springs werent bowed as were heavy duty items, shocks dont hit but i did trim the bump stop brackets while i was at it and adjusted bias control bracket on diff as only had rear brakes working b4, all is working as it should now :)

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,736 Posts
ive just done same to my mav swb, fitted adjustable upper control arms, i have 4" springs and had tailshaft vibration :( ( just bought it and sorting out probs) after reading so much about the subject on here i fitted the adjustable uppers and left stock lowers, (soon to be heavy duty items as this is weak point) already had 20mm gearbox spacers so g/b shaft already had angle pointing downwards, i adjusted pinion angle same as g/b angle ( slightly upwards) and perfect, no vibrations at all :) springs werent bowed as were heavy duty items, shocks dont hit but i did trim the bump stop brackets while i was at it and adjusted bias control bracket on diff as only had rear brakes working b4, all is working as it should now :)
Good to hear....exactly what i'm planning to fix my vibs. I've already done heavy duty standard lowers, just gotta get the adj uppers from Superior next.

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
8,969 Posts
Chuck it on jack stands (on the chassis rails) then jack up the diff and use blocks of wood to hold the diff in its position, maybe even have a length of wood strapped tight to the diff and use it to lever/pivot the diff whist it rocks on the wood chocks.
waste of time really.

Leave vehicle on ground with handbrake on.

Remove one upper control arm at a time and replace it with the aftermarket arm (at standard length).

If your control arms have to be undone to adjust them then it will be easy to do what Benos has suggested. Make sure the vehicle is chocked so it won't roll. If it can't roll, it won't need the support of the upper control arms to stop the axle moving. ;)

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,686 Posts
Why not just make them so you can adjust them with both ends bolted in place, like adjustable draglinks and tie rods. Turn the centre piece one way to lengthen, the other to shorten, like a turnbuckle.

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
same problem guys i just brought and fitted 3 inch flexy coils and snake racing upper control arms and then was told the snake racing 1s are to long. i tried removeing the lock nuts to make them shorter but this just makes my driveline angle way to sharp. but if i back em out to straighten the angle my springs kick out and hit shocks? what do i do???????

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,867 Posts
Question for Superior engineering, In your general fitting instruction for rear Patrol coil spring step number 5. Adjust the upper control arms centre – centre as follows as starting point
382mm – 3 inch lifts / 374mm – 4-5 inch lifts / 384mm 6-7 inch lifts. I'm sure it's correct but why is the 4-5" lift starting point short compared to a 6-7" lift and even the 3" ?.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
404 Posts
same problem guys i just brought and fitted 3 inch flexy coils and snake racing upper control arms and then was told the snake racing 1s are to long. i tried removeing the lock nuts to make them shorter but this just makes my driveline angle way to sharp. but if i back em out to straighten the angle my springs kick out and hit shocks? what do i do???????
dont worry about how sharp angles are, as long as both unis are at same angle, can go upto 45 degree angle i believe, spring base should sit level

·
Registered
nissan
11,234 Posts
Why not just make them so you can adjust them with both ends bolted in place, like adjustable draglinks and tie rods. Turn the centre piece one way to lengthen, the other to shorten, like a turnbuckle.
You can. Pretty sure snake racing make em. But they again arnt as strong as solid and also have a habit of coming loose for some reason.

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,736 Posts
i clamped couple rulers to flanges then measured distances top and bottom, if u know what i mean?
That would work....blimmin clever idea that!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.