Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had issues with bigger tyres when putting in an insurance claim?

looking to purchase some 285/75/16 for the GQ.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have the same tyres on my GU. No issues with the insurance company (AAMI) as I listed them as a mod, along with all the other goodies. Now all I do is take out a small loan to pay my insurance every year.

·
Rogue
20,643 Posts
It depends on what the state your vehicle is registered in claims to be roadworthy. In Vic you may have a problem with having a 16" rim IF GQs didn't have a 16" from the factory otherwise the tyre size would be ok.
What state are you in?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in NSW. The Ti came out with 16" standard alloys.... so it should be fine to go bigger in tyre size if the rim size is the same..

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
There should be a tyre placard on the car (glovebox lid???)
On the placard should have the tyre/rims sizes for that model

Goin within the factory guidelines,insurance shouldnt be a prob

Goin over and above these specs,
There would be a guideline in your state road laws as to the maximum allowable amount you can go

Again insurance shouldnt be an issue if both the above are fine
Goin outside these specs could result in no coverage from your insurance company

1.Check the factory specs
2.Check main roads/Transport dept in your state
3.Check the guidelines with your insurance company

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd be calling the Insurer and asking the question,taking that persons details,ring back a different consultant and repeat. Insurance companies tend to have different opinions on mods etc. I rang my mob here in W.A.,starts with a S ends in O, :) they said as long as it's within the state roadworthy laws I didn't need to declare any mods including suspesnion lifts and tyres. unless of course I had 5thou worth of rims or somethin I wanted covered.

·
Registered
387 Posts
It's the big unknown! Even if you have declared the mods to the insurance company, it will be written somewhere in the fine print that it's your responsibility to ensure the vehicle is kept in a roadworthy state, so if you go bigger than your State's modifications limit, you're entering the grey area. In order to deny or reduce payment, the insurance company should also have to be able to demonstrate that the illegal modification in some way contributed to the accident, BUT, I wouldn't want to be the test case. You've either gotta stick within the legal limits, or accept that there is risk of your insurer denying the claim.

·
Registered
91 Posts
what ever you do to or dont do your cars DO NOT INSURE with GIO they will find any reason not to pay out as they did with me when my car was stolen all over not telling them about 1 speeding fine that was only 15km and under that i fogot about.
when insuring you pride and joy make sure that your 100% honest and correct about mods and driving history because this will be there escape not to pay you out

·
Registered
387 Posts
what ever you do to or dont do your cars DO NOT INSURE with GIO they will find any reason not to pay out as they did with me when my car was stolen all over not telling them about 1 speeding fine that was only 15km and under that i fogot about.
when insuring you pride and joy make sure that your 100% honest and correct about mods and driving history because this will be there escape not to pay you out
Mate, I'd take them to court if they have denied you payment on that. Having one speeding fine is not something that would have any bearing at all on your car being stolen, so they cannot make a link between the undisclosed information and the event (the theft). If the one speeding ticket is your only offence, then GIO probably cannot claim they would have dumped you as a clinet and refunded the unused portion of you premium if you had disclosed the fine; but if it was your 15th offence they probably can show that their guidlines would have been to dump you as a client. Unless they can show that wouldn't have agreed to insure you, they probably cannot deny payment on that basis either. What they probably can do in court, is prove that if you had have disclosed the fine to them, they might have increased your premium by some amount (lets say 20% for this example). They could then claim that they were effectively covering a bigger risk than they had been paid for and reduce your payout figure by 20% accordingly. This is also unlikely however, as most insurance companies aren't likely to increase the premium they charge you on the basis of a minimum bracket speeding fine - this scenarios is most likely to arise if you haven't declared an at fault accident to them or if you have your vehicle under-insured.

These comments come from the basis of (unfortunate) experience, receiving a reduced payout from insurance on a removal, when when the removalists broke a bunch of our stuff and the insurer decided we were under-insured. :headwall:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Mate, I'd take them to court if they have denied you payment on that. Having one speeding fine is not something that would have any bearing at all on your car being stolen, so they cannot make a link between the undisclosed information and the event (the theft). If the one speeding ticket is your only offence, then GIO probably cannot claim they would have dumped you as a clinet and refunded the unused portion of you premium if you had disclosed the fine; but if it was your 15th offence they probably can show that their guidlines would have been to dump you as a client. Unless they can show that wouldn't have agreed to insure you, they probably cannot deny payment on that basis either. What they probably can do in court, is prove that if you had have disclosed the fine to them, they might have increased your premium by some amount (lets say 20% for this example). They could then claim that they were effectively covering a bigger risk than they had been paid for and reduce your payout figure by 20% accordingly. This is also unlikely however, as most insurance companies aren't likely to increase the premium they charge you on the basis of a minimum bracket speeding fine - this scenarios is most likely to arise if you haven't declared an at fault accident to them or if you have your vehicle under-insured.

These comments come from the basis of (unfortunate) experience, receiving a reduced payout from insurance on a removal, when when the removalists broke a bunch of our stuff and the insurer decided we were under-insured. :headwall:
i spent over 6months and 12k fighting it with a barrista so im left paying a 20k loan and a loan for fighting it

·
Registered
177 Posts
RACV are happy with any ruber that fits on rims upto 1 inch bigger than standerd,
that what they told me anyway

1 - 14 of 14 Posts