Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks Phil,
I will use the MAP and TPS at this stage. That's going to tell the Arduino exactly whats going on.
I'm aiming for better results ultimately than 25Hp, because I have all the other goodies bolted on ready to take the fuelling…(W2A IC, ARP head studs, GT2052V turbo + digibooster)
Yes, I started reading your Dawes+Needle post but got so sick of the rudeness of other members I gave up reading it.
Cheers

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
359 Posts
Do as you wish mate.
But most probably it is MAF which is used by ECU to decide the pwm level sent to the IP and not MAP, even if the too are correlated when you don't have back pressure building up.
Drawing MAP, MAF, and TPS on a graph together with the pwm value measure you will get, will make your life easy.
You have plenty of analog inputs on arduino ( A0, A1, A2 ... A7) and the lines of code are the same, whether it be MAF or MAP.

Also, once your acquisition system is realized, You'll be able to analyse what digibooster is doing, by measuring the pwm value it sent to the Solenoid vs MAP & TPS values. I disgarded it, as I found it was keeping the vanes too closed for too long, with difficulties to avoid boost bounce-back at MAP values close to the maximum set. I could not find the time myself to do that analysis. May be I will, but you certainly have a better interest in doing it, as you are using it yourself.

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dual trace oscilloscope ordered. Should be here later this week.
Phil, you are quite right. I was thinking about MAF vs MAP and the consideration of back pressure. MAP wont actually tell me the volume of air.
To maintain a consistent A/F ratio (and avoid smoke), I should rather be measuring MAF.
I will also place a double throw switch so I can switch to straight ECU mode if needed.
By the way, the ECU does not use MAP at all. I only installed a MAP for the Digibooster.

·
Registered
359 Posts
having both acquired and displayed is quite useful, you’ll see.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Here is the modified test sofware : generating a 490 Hz pwm signal at different dwells on D11, and getting that into the D2 pin to measure it with an ISR (interrupt routine). Check it on your Arduino, and then modify it.

You will otherwise need to average MAF and MAP samples over 30 to 60ms to smooth their value. If you bump into any difficulty, let me know.

rename attached '.txt' file into '.ino' and put it is a directory with the same name.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're a champion, thanks Phil

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just want you to succeed mate.
By the way, the standard pwm output has only 256 steps fro 0 to 5V and frequency is around 500Hz.
if you need more accuracy, and/or a different frequency, let me know. You 'll have to write directly into the micro-controller registers, and I have done this too. So I'll be able to explain how and save you time and effort.

·
Registered
nissan
2 Posts
So what you are describing is building a Haltech for the RD28.

I've been looking to the same idea, but principally to be a programmable Turbo boost controller, using a PWM signal to a pneumatic valve to enable extra boost when wanted, not all the time. I can't understand being charged $400+ for turbo controllers that do less than what could be done with $50 parts. The next would be to control the fuel with the boost.

There is often a fight between the Haltech and a modern ECU for control, but this is a much simpler system because we can capture all the output to the fuel control. I'd like to be able to do this without upgrading the pump or injectors. I don't know if there is any extra capacity in the pump past WOT.

·
Registered
359 Posts
It is exactly what I have done too, and used now for a while. It is the ONLY way to have a perfect match between your vehicule configuration and your turbo.

Have a read at the post called One Dawes - Two Needles. You'll find what you need to undestand.
And please, don't do the same mistakes as others, boost is not a measure of power. Quantity of Airflow + fuel is.
Maximising the Airflow at all times enables the power. And you will not need 'Exra boost' then. Just to press a bit more the throttle.

Since not everybody is familar with electronics and software, I am thinking of a pneumatic systems with sufficient levels of freedom to be as close as possible to the 'ideal' vane management.

And yes you are totally true, any electronics system has lots of limitations and even limits, that you get rid of with your own. Just the setting of max vanes closure, and max vanes aperture in itself has to be very accurate, and the 'Maps' they use can't be linear vs boost otherwise at some point in time you'll get a drop in boost (and moreover MAF). I have bought and measured what one of these allegedly multi-purpose box, and have been VERY disapointed.

People who are happy with them, as they were better than their previous arrangement, don't even know what they are missing still.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good news, after a thorough search, I found a guy who did it already !

and he manages fueling AND VNT. Lucky you. Nice piece of code. it is also 'EGT-ready'.
here :

The nice thing about it, is that he added an LCD dislay, with setting pages, storing the different settings on Flash, allowing quick set to work.
A very nice job.

He is making use of the Arduino built-in PID regulating software/algorithm.
I did not use it, as I did not want to regulate around the max boost. But some ECUs do that.
It was the MAF I wanted to 'maximize' and the MAF varies with RPM/vanes position/TPS.

You should have a look at how his sw works, as it comes.

Some explanations here , if you are not familiar with PID regulation :

21 - 30 of 30 Posts